Single-purpose freebie: Paper cutter

Review by paxorion posted 12-14-2014 04:54 AM 2088 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Single-purpose freebie: Paper cutter No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Harbor Freight item 60274, 47877 is one of the many freebies I stock up on. I wouldn’t call it a multi-purpose tool. My family has one purpose for them: to cut paper, and usually coupon trimming. Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I seem to only cut HF coupons with these scissors, sometimes for more scissor freebies. My wife uses them to trim coupons when we are on a long drive.

The complaints I have for this too are:
  • They may be relatively sharp at first but dull very quickly
  • The holes for fingers feel very small and uncomfortable. I find that I can’t use them for extended purposes.

Like the freebie screwdrivers, I chalk this freebie up as a convenience item to keep around.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 2039 days

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#1 posted 12-14-2014 05:39 PM

True; I have several pair that I got as freebies. They are easy to sharpen. I just take a few strokes on a stone and they are like new again. I have many free flashlights that are great. They would make great inexpensive (free) stocking stuffers to give to those who don’t know about HF.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 12-14-2014 06:47 PM

I’ve used them as Poultry shears before to spatchcock a chicken. They worked OK.
They’re junk, but at least they were free.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#3 posted 12-15-2014 12:03 PM

Mr Ron, when you say “they are like new again” does that mean they cut nothing and are still flimsy?
I have a pair and they are just plain junk… I still can’t figure why I keep them ;-(

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View vskgaming's profile

vskgaming

#4 posted 12-15-2014 04:54 PM

I am with you on both your complains paxorion. They work may be not as good as the expensive ones, fine by me :)

I will try sharpening them next time i use them…

-- VSKGAMING

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

332 posts in 2042 days

#5 posted 12-18-2014 12:48 AM

love your remark about self-fulfilling prophecy.

most HF stuff is good for 1-2 uses only but that’s fine for much DIY stuff.

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff