Great apron for the price

Review by BinghamtonEd posted 12-12-2014 02:25 PM 2064 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great apron for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using this apron for about 3 months now, and for full disclosure, it is the first apron I’ve owned. I tried on a few others, but none of the other ones I tried fit well around my shoulders/neck. This apron looks to be similar to the 83200, which may have been discontinued in favor of this model.

My initial reaction when I took it out of the box was that it seemed durable and well made. I had read other reviews that the material was thin, but I didn’t find this to be the case at all. The stitching that attaches the straps to the main part of the apron also appears to be of high quality, after 3 months of occasional use they still look new. The pockets are sized well, the lower ones will hold a block plane, tape measure, etc. The upper pockets I keep reserved for a pencil and 6” square. The upper ones are snug enough that things don’t fall out when I bend over. The padded shoulders are nice, when I have a few things in the apron pockets, I barely notice it on my shoulders. Another thing I like about the straps is the design of the back/shoulder area, it keeps the straps from touching my neck at all.

The downsides I have found to this apron are that 1.) the pockets do not have mesh, nor do they have flaps, so they will accumulate sawdust in the lower pockets and 2.) it could be a couple inches longer. I am 6’1” 240lbs, and I feel like another 2” would be the ideal length, but I also understand that they have to design this for a range of body types. The length issue is minor and would not keep me from purchasing a second one. As far as the sawdust in the pockets goes, I just use the shop vac to clear them out.

So, in summary :

Pros :
- Affordable ($20 on Amazon)
- Durable materials
- Strap design keeps them off your neck
- Plenty of pockets

Cons :
- Lower pockets collect dust
- For those over 6’ tall, it might seem a tad short

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

View John's profile

John

#1 posted 12-12-2014 03:12 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking for a apron that will fit my similarly sized frame.

-- I measured once, cut twice, and its still too short...

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#2 posted 12-12-2014 04:52 PM

quick idea to fix the problem. how about you add some grommets like these at harbor freight. It would fix the help fix the problem and only cost about $5. but if you go this weekend and use their 25% off then its should be around $4.

-- http://semiww.org/

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#3 posted 12-12-2014 05:31 PM

I think I’d have to make swiss cheese out of the pockets for those to actually let the dust fall through. They don’t collect that much dust too fast, and I’d probably screw it up and make the pocket unusable, so I’m opting to just leave them as is. In the 3 months I’ve been using them, I think I’ve only vacuumed the pockets out twice, and that was just at the end of projects when I was cleaning everything else up.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#4 posted 12-12-2014 05:50 PM

Ed…..I’ve had that same apron for about 5 years, but I really don’t care for it….Everything you described about it was spot-on…I tried it over time, and decided I’d try something else….The apron is TOO SHORT….I’d wind up getting sawdust all over the lower part of me, but that’s really the only drawback I found with it….My wife is a seamstress, so I had her to make me one…I designed it the way I wanted it, so she began: It’s made of really heavy denim, has flaps over the pockets, 2 large lower pockets w/ a small one in the middle, 4 small pockets up top, which I carry my d.c. remote control, 2 pencil pockets, and a 6” ruler pocket….The neck strap is comfortable, and has straps that tie in the back….But most importantly, it keeps my clothes cleaner….I have a real old Craftsman apron they gave me when I bought my saw and RAS from them…So….When one gets dirty, I swap out…..My wife embroidered my name and logo on it….”RIck’s Workshop”....How’s that for class….lol….

-- " It's a rat race out there, and the rats are winning....!!"