Great Drill Press at a Great Price

Review by NickyP posted 12-12-2014 12:33 PM 6574 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Drill Press at a Great Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saved my pennies waiting for the annual 15% off Black Friday sale and bought this JET drill press from CPO Outlets through Amazon for $518.49. It was delivered to my house 10 days later:

After opening the box I quickly discovered there were not allot of parts that needed to be assembled:

I bought a mobile base about 2 months ago from Rockler on sale for $34.99 free shipping:

As I went through the assembly process I would degrease and wax were needed:

I assembled the mobile base and installed the drill base:

I then proceeded with the build:

The top of the drill press is well made and a two-man job to install. A nice feature is a 60w light bulb goes in the rectangular hole to the right of the round hole where the pole goes:

I splurged and purchased a keyless chuck from Grizzly for $74.95:

Assembly of this unit was simple, easy, and quite frankly a joy with no headaches. My real excitement came when I turned it on. WOW! The JET JDP-17DX is extremely quiet with a true scenes of power. It comes with a laser cross hair that was dead on out of the box. The table comes with t-tracks for clamps. And has a flat bottom for attaching clamps. This is one fine unit with the woodworker in mind and a price that can’t be beat for the amount of machinery you are getting. I will revise this review if necessary after I’ve used it for a while but my first overall impression is ACES and I could not be happier with what should be the last drill press I’ll ever need.

-- -- "Never underestimate the power of a kind word, a good deed, or a table saw."

View NickyP's profile

NickyP

View tyvekboy's profile

tyvekboy

#1 posted 12-12-2014 03:13 PM

Nice drill press and keyless chuck.

One word of caution when raising/lowering the drill press table … be sure to loosen the clamp first.

I work at a school where the students just can’t seem to understand that the clamp has to be loosened first before raising or lowering the drill press table. So they start cranking and what happens is the rack moves and the table stays where it is clamped. The rack gets all bent up.

I’m working on a project that I’ll be posting in the future that would go nicely with that drill press.

-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 12-12-2014 03:19 PM

17” DP. Nice score. I love the ginormous work table.

View rs4ever's profile

rs4ever

#3 posted 01-05-2015 10:08 PM

What is the model of the Grizzly Keyless chuck?
I cannot find a MT2 Taper version from Grizzly website that looks like the one you installed.

View NickyP's profile

NickyP

#4 posted 01-06-2015 08:51 PM

Hi rs4ever. Prior to making the purchase I had to really research to find the proper chuck. Grizzly model G8583 keyless chuck 5/8” JT3 on the Grizzly website http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-8-Keyless-Drill-Chuck-JT3/G8583

Last I looked they knocked the price down to $64.95.

View rs4ever's profile

rs4ever

#5 posted 01-06-2015 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I purchased the exact drill press during the BF 15% off from AcmeTools.

It’s interesting that the 3/4” H8012 Keyless chuck is cheaper than the 5/8 version.
The 5/8 version is $64.95 + $11.99 shipping.

Not a bad price.

Also purchased a mobile base from HTC similar to yours. Mounted the DP on a 3/4 MDF 3 times wider than the base so it’s not so tippy. Love the DP, the keyless chuck will make it a pleasure to work with.

Last I looked they knocked the price down to $64.95.

- NickyP

View marc7101's profile

marc7101

#6 posted 06-24-2015 02:16 PM

All the Jet drill presses on the market today are good quality and reasonably priced. This makes it a favourite with a lot of woodworkers. On this review page http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/ , of the five drill presses reviewed, the two Jet drill presses were rated the highest by consumers.

-- Marc- http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/

View davidrvanallen's profile

davidrvanallen

#7 posted 09-05-2015 04:11 PM

Great post!
You can read more important factor when buy a drill press at here.