Rikon 2HP Dust Collector with Jet Vortex Cone

Review by chrisworker posted 12-11-2014 07:26 AM 6528 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rikon 2HP Dust Collector with Jet Vortex Cone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For the longest time I would use my PSI DC1B-XL for my dust collection needs, but since I upgraded my jointer from a 6” to an 8” and my planer from my lunchbox to a new 3hp spiral cutter I have been buying my lumber in the rough from a local dealer. When I started to get my lumber this way I quickly realized I needed a bigger dust collector. I have read numerous reviews from this webpage and others about the HF 2hp dust collector so I grabbed my coupon and off I went to get my bigger dust collector. I opened the first HF dust collector when I got home and the motor was filled with rust. I was bummed to say the least. I took it back and returned it for another one. I opened it at the store to look at it and everything seemed fine, so I took it home. After I put it together and turned it on it immediately made a loud squealing sound. A bearing in the motor was shot. It was loud! So, back I go to HF to return it and I decided to not get another one. I went to my local Woodcraft after my HF experience and saw the Rikon on sale for $300.00 and I decided to get it. It came with a 5 year warranty and oddly is IDENTICAL to the HF model. Everything except the paint color is the same. But, the big difference between this model and HF’s is that I didn’t have any issues when it was assembled and turned on. The Rikon came with a 5 micron bag and I immediately tossed it out and bought a Big Horn filter from Amazon.com and it performs great with this add on. The Rikon is rated at 16 amps and I had it on a 15 amp breaker and once it tripped the breaker. Since that I have put it on my 20 amp outlets and I haven’t had any issues. The collector is great at pulling all of the chips from my jointer and planer. Both machines have 20’ flex hoses coming off of the 5” supplied Y. The problem I kept experiencing is that the bottom plastic bag would be about 3/4 full and when I would take the filter bag off I saw that the top filter bag would be about a 1/3 full with wood shavings. This was most noticeable with soft woods like pine and poplar.
You can see here is what it looked like. I am not a big fan of having a trash can separator. I tried it once with this unit and I noticed a little loss in suction and I didn’t like bagging the debris from the trash can. I like just taking off the duct tape on my dust collector, closing up the bag and installing a new one. So, I decided to call Jet up after reading the reviews for the cone and asked if I could buy the bracket and cone. They said yes and it was shipped to me in about 7 days for $46.00. It might seem pricey, but I was hoping it would make a big difference when using my dust collector. It was easy to install.
Now, after filling my bag at about 3/4 full when using the cone I no longer have a packed top filter and barely any shavings around the rim.
Overall, I really like this dust collector and it is even better with the Jet cone. I have been using this combination for about 6 months now and I am happy I made both of these purchases. They have been a great addition to my growing shop.

#1 posted 12-11-2014 03:24 PM

Chris—You’d be doing yourself a favor if you were to put a cyclone or Thein baffle in between the machines and your DC. I did that almost two years ago, and haven’t had to empty the plastic bag since.

View philba's profile

philba

#2 posted 12-11-2014 06:23 PM

Good review Chris! Thanks for taking the time.

I second the use of some sort of a separator. I have a 30 G trash can with a Thein style lid and I just have to pop off the lid to unload. I do that every month or so. I’ve yet to empty the DC bag. But more importantly, if you suck up something hard (like a chunk of wood) it could damage the impeller. I’m happy to take the pressure/air flow loss as cheap insurance.

My current DC is an older 1.5 HP Griz (which looks a LOT like the rikon/HF) and I’m thinking of moving up a bit. This review helps a lot. Lots of people have had good luck with the HF DC but your experience isn’t surprising at all. HF is pretty hit or miss. I think it would be good for you to post a separate review of the HF DC as people considering it might not look at your review.

#3 posted 12-11-2014 09:41 PM

The Dane and Philba, thanks for the input. My only problem with using a trash can is disposing of the chips in it. I would still have to bag whatever is left in the trash can whereas I can just grab the bag off at the dust collector and tape it shut and throw a new one on. I go through about 2 bags a month at about $1.50 a piece.

View misterbig's profile

misterbig

#4 posted 12-12-2014 12:50 AM

M

#5 posted 12-12-2014 12:55 AM

Could u not just put a bag in the can.

Not without a framework inside the bag or some way to counter the air pressure. With just a bag, the DC would suck it toot sweet.

View philba's profile

philba

#6 posted 12-12-2014 01:15 AM

It takes about 5 minutes to empty the can into a garbage bag. But it gives me an opportunity to work through my international curse vocabulary. I start in German, then Thai, then Spanish, and finally English. Heck, I know it needs emptying right now… But, it’s a small consolation to not having to replace the impeller.

View misterbig's profile

misterbig

#7 posted 12-12-2014 04:09 AM

Lots of good ideas on this here on the site. Wood magazine recommends 2”x4” welded fencing. But one guy below uses a scrap section of Formica.

Just offering ideas…..

- TheDane

#8 posted 12-12-2014 01:29 PM

Thanks for the link mbig. I will look at it. Philba, I tried the trash can method once and I cursed as well, but only in english. The reason is when I turned the trash can over to dump, the garbage bag slipped off the back end and more than half of the chips and dust went everywhere on the floor and created a fun dust cloud in my shop.

#9 posted 12-12-2014 02:58 PM

Hmmm … I just pull the trash can out on the driveway, pull a big trash bag over the can, and tip the can.

My trash can is on wheels, and I have a roll-up garage door in the shop so it is pretty easy for me to manage.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#10 posted 12-13-2014 12:22 AM

I like the Thein Cyclone\Separator design for three reasons: Inexpensive to build, takes up very little space, and is extremely effective. Keeping debris out of the impellers is icing on the cake.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View OSU55's profile (online now)

OSU55

#11 posted 12-13-2014 12:10 PM

My HF collector came with that cone. Is the Rikon just open in that area? My Thein separator works life a champ, and I have room to spread the chips in the garden or let mother nature take car of them.