Forget the hump, that smell will knock you out

Review by paxorion posted 12-09-2014 10:07 PM 2590 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Forget the hump, that smell will knock you out No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Everytime I’m at Harbor Freight, I can’t leave without picking up a freebie. On one trip, I took a $2 risk to give you my $0.02s on this sanding block. The only review on the HF website highlighted the existence of a hump that one could sand out. I figured, for $2, I could easily buy a full set for all my grits, sand off the hump, and have them in my travel “to-go” tool set or not feel guilty when I leave them outdoors.

When I got home and opened the package, the hump was the second thing that got to me. What hit me (hard) in the face was the unbearable chemical smell that makes California Proposition 65 sound like a good idea for an emergency vote by Congress to federal law. The sanding block has been sitting outdoors under my deck for the last month and still reeks.

While I’m sure that some modification (sanding out the hump) will make this sanding block usable, I don’t know how anyone could use this tool without an odor cancelling respirator. Even if the block ever stops smelling, I’m not sure if I would want to use this thing knowing how it can smell.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 1951 days

#1 posted 12-09-2014 10:12 PM

Being sensitive to odors I have that same problem with many products. Thanks for the review.

View camps764's profile

camps764

#2 posted 12-09-2014 11:47 PM

every sanding block like this I have purchased, regardless of store of origin, stinks to high heaven…Ace, Home Depot, Menards, Harbor Freight….all stank.

-- Steve

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#3 posted 12-10-2014 04:07 AM

You all just have to bite the bullet and make sanding blocks like you did in junior (or possibly senior) high school, out of a piece of 3/4” plywood. Maybe Baltic Birch, because that other stuff seems to look like a potato chip pretty quickly.

-- Random Orbital Nailer

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#4 posted 12-10-2014 04:18 AM

I was looking at a similar looking block at Lowe’s the other day. It smelled bad too.

View eccentrictinkerer's profile

eccentrictinkerer

#5 posted 12-10-2014 05:17 AM

A friend told me he loved walking into HF and catching the lovely aroma of un-cured rubber! :-)

(I’ve been in HF stores all over the country and they all smell the same.)

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 1951 days

#6 posted 12-10-2014 05:23 AM

- camps764

I have one Norton one that I picked up on sale from Woodcraft. That one never stank of VOCs. My guess, the open packaging helps.

Now mind you, this HF purchase was also done prior to my Preppin Weapon double down.

-- paxorion

View emart's profile

emart

#7 posted 12-12-2014 04:16 AM

That happened to me with a tape measure. it reeked of artificial rubber so badly that i never used it.

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

View BTimmons's profile

BTimmons

#8 posted 12-12-2014 09:47 PM

Ah yes, the made in China, probably giving you cancer, Harbor Freight smell. I know it well.

-- Brian Timmons - http://www.BigTWoodworks.com

View Isaaq's profile

Isaaq

#9 posted 02-20-2015 08:53 AM

Try sprinkle baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) on it and it should take care of it (theoretically).

-- Art is making extraordinary out of the ordinary.