Ryobi BG828G 8" Bench Grinder

Review by Homunculus posted 12-08-2014 12:17 AM 5781 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi BG828G 8" Bench Grinder Ryobi BG828G 8" Bench Grinder No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As with all Ryobi products, you pretty much have to start the review with “good tool, for the money.”

3 amp motor which was plenty strong for sharpening chisels, lathe tools etc. No slowdown whatsoever, which I was worried about since I’m used to using my dad’s 6 amp Delta grinder. That said, long windup, takes maybe 30 seconds to get to full speed? Slower than a 6 amp, but that’s about all I noticed when it comes to the less powerful motor. That said, if you were relying on this to grind away a ton of metal it may bog down. Not a big deal for my uses.

Came with 36 grit and 60 grit 1” width 8” diameter wheels. I kept the 60 grit wheel but replaced the 36 grit with a 100 grit Norton white HSS sharpening wheel. No 3/4” wheels here, you don’t need to worry about arbor space for the thicker wheels. Dunno about thicker buffing wheels.

3-4 bright LEDs built into spark shield, which with my barely sufficient shop lighting I greatly appreciated.

TLDR: If you were running a machine shop, you already know you need more tool than this. For a garage shop this is fine. Definitely upgrade the wheels, but it sharpens chisels, lathe tools, shapes metal just fine.

View Homunculus's profile

Homunculus

View JohnnyBoy1981's profile

JohnnyBoy1981

#1 posted 04-23-2017 01:24 AM

This was really helpful! Thanks!

View WoodGator's profile

WoodGator

#2 posted 10-22-2017 11:35 PM

I just bought one on close out at HD last one and it was the display wound up being 45$ plus tax.The wheels were not in balance thickness was not uniform. had to chase it around after reshaping them runs smooth.