Dust Deputy

Review by Tim_456 posted 2199 days ago 16477 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My review is of Oneida’s Dust Deputy.

I’ve had this addition to my shop vac for a little over a year and it is performing very well.

Order/Assembly:
I ordered mine online directly from Oneida and it came, unassembled, in a very short amount of time. Ordering was fast and easy. Assembly was quick but did involve silicon sealant. This is placed between the lower canister and the upper cone to create an air tight seal between the parts. It took about 15 minutes to assemble plus the addition of the silicon cure time.

The only other item I needed was a coupler between my shop vac hose and the metal input port on the Dust Deputy. Otherwise the hose kept falling off every time I moved the whole contraption. To fasten the hose to the DD I used a rubber plumbing coupling with two clamps. After securing all the hoses I was ready for action.

Operation:
I use my Dust Deputy in two ways. The first way is as a vacuum during the clean up stages of a project. I attach the hose to a nozzle and suck up all the debris left over from some home improvement project. The second way is attached to my ROS. I have a DeWalt variable speed model that has excellent dust collection capabilities. These two tools together provide a very good, small, portable dust collection system. I’ve sanded wood and even drywall (yes, drywall) and in all cases the dust deputy keeps the majority of the dust from ever making it into the shop vac (dust pump).

Cleaning out the DD is very easy. You remove the clamp holding the lid onto the canister, remove the lid, and dump the contents into a garbage bag. The size of the canister is just right. Any bigger and it would hold more but also weigh more. Any smaller and you’d have to empty it a lot more often. Reverse the process and the DD is back up and ready for action. The whole emptying procedure takes about 5 minutes. Very easy.

Results:
I found the Dust Deputy to be very effective at collecting that vast majority of dust before it makes it to the shop vac. I’ve used it on large debris and small dust particles. The large debris is sucked up, bangs around the cyclone and falls into the bucket. The small particles (drywall dust) are also effectively isolated from the shop vac. I can tell its doing its job because there is very little dust in the shop vac and on the shop vac’s filter while the Dust Deputy’s bucket is full of the stuff. It certainly wasn’t 100% effective, but it was close and reduced the volume of dust to a level that my tired old shop vac could more than handle. I recently had to touch up a small patch of drywall in the house. I patched it and sanded it with the ROS attached to the DD and did not end up with a haze of dust around the work.

Limitations:
The only limitation I found was the volume of air that the device could generate. This was limited to the shop vac that was driving the device and the diameter of the hose/device. This is certainly not a replacement for a dust collection system and shouldn’t be viewed as a cheap alternative. When I attached it to my table saw it just didn’t move the volume of air required to effectively collect dust from the device. It was great for cleaning up after the work was done but I wouldn’t attach it to anything bigger than a ROS and expect it to capture particles as they are cut. To be fair, Oneida does not advertise it for this capacity.

Another limitation is that it is big and clunky. I’ve used this all over the house to keep the dust down during projects and it’s a real clunker to move around. It always seems like I need just another foot or two of hose and that it’s always getting tipped over as I pull it just enough to reach that last spot. Between the vacuum and the Dust Deputy and all the cords and hoses it does get in the way to move through a project. That’s a minor inconvenience however, next to the fact that when I’m done cleaning up my wife is happy to NOT have a layer of dust on everything. Prior to this my shop vac was just that, a dust pump.

I should mention that my shop vac is a middle of the road Sears model that is about 15 years old.

To conclude this review, I would highly recommend this device to anyone in woodworking or to anyone that does home improvement in general.

Improvements:
I would add castors to the DD so it is easier to move around. I would also add something that lets me attach the vacuum portion of the shop vac directly to this device so that they could be moved as one unit. It would get a bit tall, but I’m thinking of attaching my whole shop vac on top of the DD and making it a permanent combination. At least it would cut down on the hose mess. Other than that, this product does exactly what it is designed to do.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I have one of these and I really like it. I just bought the cyclone and mounted it to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket.
It makes it a little smaller and the plastic is a little easier on floors. I’m using a 4 gallon ShopVac on mine and it really “cleans up”. I bought a 25’, 1.25” hose from a swimming pool supply and adapted it to the Dust Deputy. I have a hook that I hang it on, so that it doesn’t fall over when I’m dragging the hose around.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

So If you had a bigger shop vac (say 15 amps) do you think it could keep up with a bigger tool (lets say a planer)? I have been considering these as a bridge to a real dust collection system when I build a shop.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Scott, the planer problem would be hose size. Outlet to the vac is 2” and the inlet to the Dust Deputy is 1.5”. A planer, or anything else that makes large chips would clog it up. It will work ok for some saws. I had mine hooked up to my band saw for awhile.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

Thanks Tim

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

nice review. i’ve been looking at this. i want a dust collector but due to price i have been looking at this. still not sure what to due though. thanks for the review!

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

I have been using my DD since they came out. It sits next to the assembly bench and gets hooked up to the sanders, Festool saw and router, and helps with final cleaning before staining.

Yes the hose limits hookup size, but the trade off is the filter of the shop vac hardly gets dirty so the suction remains constant.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

I’m glad this was of some help to people.

I think the main problem with hooking the dust deputy, or shop vac, up to a larger tool is the volume of air that is moved by the shop vac which is proportional to the horsepower of the motor and the size of the hoses and inlets. For a shop vac, the amount of air it moves is pretty small compared to a larger dust collector.

Regardless of the HP of the motor, once you push that air through a small opening the vacuum pressure may increase but the mass airflow decreases. This can be seen by the drastic reduction on suction as you move your hand away from your shop vac’s hose. Up close, there’s quite a bit of power, but if you move your hand away from the opening, within a few inches the vacuum pressure drops drastically. With my lame shop vac the vacuum diminishes after about an two inches from the hose inlet.

After attaching the shop vac hose to the large cavity below my table saw, the suction on the shop vac is dissipated and only a small amount of debris is collected. It’s just too large of a space to clear based on the small amount of air that’s being moved even though what is being moved has quite a bit of suction.

So, for a universal dust collector, this doesn’t really work. Having said all of the above, if you can overcome this limitation it still provides a “pretty good” dust collector. To do this, I put the outlet hose as close to the blade (source of dust) as possible. I can do this on my sander, router, RAS, and TS as part of the blade guard. By doing this I remove most of the airborne particles, which is what I’m worried about anyway. In this capacity, the DD improves a standard shop vac by making it NOT a dust pump that basically pushes the dust around.

In practice it works pretty darn good when I use it in this mode, but I’m hesitant to say it’s perfect because people’s health may be in jeopardy. A bigger system is better for many reasons, but if your budget and/or space is small, this might be the next best thing to that $1000 cyclone and certainly better than nothing.

View steve3604's profile

steve3604

#8 posted 2009 days ago

just bought the DIY version, after two weeks had to call them to get it shipped, with that said it works great, got the 2.25 inch inlet version. you can just about throw away the bucket on the shop vac cause it all goes in the bucket or drum your hooked up to. works far better than I ever expected, but you absolutely must have every connection sealed to the best of your abilties or it will degrade the performance.

View Tim's profile

Tim

#9 posted 1945 days ago

Here’s my homemade version. I don’t know how good the DD is but mine definitely works good, some dust on the filter but no chips in the vac. Its a bit crude but I wanted to see if it would work before I put to much effort in, of course it worked so I’m not going to redo it now!

My Dust Devil