Sandstrom 28A Dry Film Lubricant

Review by woodshopmike posted 12-04-2014 07:34 PM 4039 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sandstrom 28A Dry Film Lubricant Sandstrom 28A Dry Film Lubricant No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently received a sample of this product to review on my woodworking tools. So far I’ve only applied it to my wood lathe, but I’ll soon be treating my table saws with it too.

28A is a dry film lubricant that has a working temperature range of -320°f to 320°f and can withstand loads not in excess of 100,000 psi! This product does not have lead or graphite in it. Instead is has Molybdenum Disulfide as it’s lubricative agent.

The short and sweet is that this product works very well and has very much improved the ease of which the banjo and tailstock traverse the lathe bed.

If you’d like to read my full review on Sandstrom 28A you can check it out here!

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 12-04-2014 10:56 PM

The fact that it won’t stick to sawdust sounds great. Might have to pick up some for my tools… it would be especially helpful inside the planer and table saw, where the adjustment mechanisms constantly get clogged with dust.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Rick S...'s profile

Rick S...

#2 posted 12-05-2014 05:35 AM

Thank you.

-- It is not necessary for Some People to turn OFF the LIGHT to be IN the DARK! (Ontario, CANADA)

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#3 posted 12-05-2014 04:06 PM

Nice review but wished you addressed turning wet wood and need for reapplication. Also if stuff used on other woodworking equipment affected sanding and finishing wood.

So at $39.36 & $12.68 for shipping or $52.04 per spray can not sure worth it for me.

-- Bill

#4 posted 12-05-2014 09:20 PM

That is very expensive, sounds like it is a good product though

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#5 posted 12-05-2014 11:51 PM

Wildwood, good point. Sorry I didn’t address this. turning wet wood does not affect the product. Furthermore, the lubricity does not seem to be diminished when working with wet wood.

Since 28A is a dry film lubricant, it doesn’t leave any residue on woods like oil would.

The product is very pricey I agree, but I feel that it’s well worth it.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#6 posted 12-06-2014 11:20 PM

Before posting did some digging and read an SDS safety data sheet on the product dated 11/ 25/14. Also read the technical data sheet available on line also just could not figure out how to post a link. Guess this stuff initially made in England as Sandstrom 27A and now Sandstrom 28 for US market. MSDS-SDS pretty much the same thing except we are more familiar with MSDS and SDS used outside the US. Just click on

28A Aerosol E628-G25

After reading the technical data sheet data available on line think this stuff would have wider appeal to many industries with heavy machines of all kinds. The SDS does recommend wearing PPE when using the stuff. I see a limited use in a woodworking shop of any kind at current price per spray can.

-- Bill

View RichTes's profile

RichTes

#7 posted 12-09-2014 08:27 PM

How different is this than Dow 3-2-1? I have a can of that. Reading the details this is molybdenum disulfide and the Dow product is molybdenum sulfide? I got the Dow years ago and haven’t noticed anything stick to it.
Rich

#8 posted 12-10-2014 02:58 AM

PPE is definitely a must!

Not sure how it compares to Dow 3-2-1, but I’ll ask my contact at Sandstrum and get back to you.

View Matthew's profile

Matthew

#9 posted 12-16-2014 09:26 PM

Molybdenum is known as a refractory element, due to its extremely high melting temperature. It also has high resistance to corrosion.

A common use of molybdenum disulfide is in industrial grade Never-Seize, due to the high temperature resistance.

That said, molybdenum is expensive, hence the high price of your product.

If you are satisfiedm then go for it, but in this case, I believe that a molybdenum based lubricant for woodworking is a bit extreme.

-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...