Jessem Roller Guide - FIVE Stars

Review by Kopion posted 12-01-2014 09:20 PM 7644 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jessem Roller Guide - FIVE Stars No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve posted a lengthy review or two, but this one will be comparatively short. I broker out the Jessem Clear-Cust stock guides for the second time this weekend, and I was just amazed at a) how well they work, and b) how well they’re made. As I was working with them, I decided that they belonged in a very elite category of tools that exceed expectations so much that you immediately cannot remember what you did before you had that tool. Off the top of my mind, the best example of that category is the Festool track saw.

I was trying to do some edge banding with a 70” x 24” piece of wood, and I was struggling a little bit to get the piece “stick” to the fence. Then I remembered that I had these roller guides, and my trouble was immediatlely gone. That’s the key difference between these and a regular featherboard (other than the ridiculous quality of construction that these roller guides boast) is that they actually pull the stock to the fence. The other key (but mostly unadvertised) difference is the simplicity with which you set the height. There’s a huge knob that you just loosen, let the wheel drop to the stock and then retighten (I like to push it down just into the board to make sure the friction of the wheel works well). Compared to my other Woodpeckers Variable Pressure featherboards (which are well-made, don’t get me wrong, these are vastly superior.

Most people will look at these and go ”$100 for a set of ‘featherboards’?!! You’re nuts”. Hold them in your hand, put them on the fence, and run a 6’ piece of stock through them, and you’ll change your mind.

View Kopion's profile

Kopion

View scott0317's profile

scott0317

#1 posted 12-01-2014 09:41 PM

Thanks for the write up. I just watched a video of them being used on a table saw. I think the added safety alone makes the purchase worth while. Just added it to my already long Christmas list.

-- I've almost got all the tools I need, almost.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#2 posted 12-01-2014 09:52 PM

I have been tempted to try them out but I was curious as to whether or not they got in the way or in any way limited visibility?

Seems worth it if they hold the stock that well against the fence.

Thanks for the feedback. May have to put it on Santa’s List!

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#3 posted 12-02-2014 01:02 AM

Nice review, I think 100 for quality and safety is reasonable. Looks like I’m going shopping.

View misterbig's profile

misterbig

#4 posted 12-02-2014 01:26 AM

View scott0317's profile

scott0317

#5 posted 12-02-2014 01:51 AM

Here is the video I watched. I now realize that its a bit of a different set up. I will have to look at it a bit more but have to think there is a way to adapt it to work with both a TS and a Router

-- I've almost got all the tools I need, almost.

View Kopion's profile

Kopion

#6 posted 12-02-2014 04:22 AM

- misterbig

I used mine on my tablesaw (though I don’t know if this “approved use”). Works well. The only consideration (not even a problem, just a consideration) is if you’re cutting thin, you need to make sure your push mechanism will clear the guides.

View ward63's profile

ward63

#7 posted 12-02-2014 08:54 AM

View bandit's profile

bandit

#8 posted 12-02-2014 10:32 PM

- misterbig

They have a set that’s made for the table saw.

-- Michael Garrett

View Doug's profile

Doug

#9 posted 12-03-2014 10:12 PM

Thank you for the write up. These just made my list of nice to haves.

-- The only limit to your skills is your willingness to learn

View zackm032488's profile

zackm032488

#10 posted 12-04-2014 01:54 AM

- misterbig

I use mine on the table saw and router table. I’m also in complete agreement with the OP, these things are amazing.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#11 posted 12-05-2014 03:54 PM

Those table saw guides look great. Going to see if some caring relatives will buy them for me for Christmas. :)

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View rantingrich's profile

rantingrich

#12 posted 12-10-2014 10:20 AM

Only problem is the ones for a TABLE Saw are $300. Almost the same as my table saw cost me

-- Rich

View nicencutt's profile

nicencutt

#13 posted 12-22-2014 01:02 PM

Thanks for the review. Two days ago I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Incra offset router table & stand combo with the LS Positioner along with the Incra dust collector box. I have looked at the Jessum stock guides but thought I’d wait awhile on ordering them. I think I will go ahead and order now. I think the safety is worth it.

-- Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.