Great workhorse for my woodworking, but I often wish I have variable speed

Review by paxorion posted 11-26-2014 03:59 PM 3775 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great workhorse for my woodworking, but I often wish I have variable speed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Dewalt sander was a phenominal upgrade to my old Craftsman sander. I got this sander to replace the Craftsman it because vibration feedback I felt from my Craftsman tended to leave my arm with a “funny tingling” feeling after extended use. Fearing long-term issues, I thought I was due for a replacement.

Good: The sander has been my go-to sander for well over a year now. It took a little getting used to the power switch from a rocker style on my Craftsman, but over time, I have been very happy with it. The biggest improvement compared to the Craftsman is that I can sand for extended periods of time without that “funny tingling” feeling. Also, it is far easier to keep the unit flat on my workpiece compared to the vibration proned Craftsman sander. This unit does not lack in power and it takes considerable (downward pressure) effort to bog down the motor.

Bad: The dust bag isn’t a bad design, but far from best design (the Bosch ROS20VS has a superior pleated filter design). Removal tended to send the dust flying everywhere. In addition, I can’t ever seem to empty the bag fully, and I always find dust in my TSTAK carrying case. Not that I rely on the dust bag much, as I prefer active dust collection. My early attempts at active dust collection (through a shop vac) was riddled with headaches whenever the hose would pop off. It took a lot of trial and error to find a fitting that works (being a cheapskate who didn’t want to buy more fittings). With the right fitting, these aren’t really issues anymore, but I my early experiences leave me with paranoia that the hose would pop off in use (which it occasionally still does if the hose is caught on something).

Ugly: The lack of variable speed does add to some challenges for control, particularly when sanding narrower work where you don’t want to tip the sander or end-grain. Not as much a knock on this sander specifically, but a major nudge for folks to get the variable speed upgrade instead.

Overall, great workhorse and I’m sure it will provide many more years of service in my woodworking. Given my positive experience with it, when it comes time to retire this sander, I suspect the variable speed Dewalt D26453K will be high on my consideration list.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#1 posted 11-26-2014 04:42 PM

Great review.
Thanks Paxorion.

#2 posted 11-26-2014 04:57 PM

Don’t be jealous of the Bosch ROS20VS. While its pleated filter is great in theory, the o-ring on the canister leaks so it still blows dust in your face. I have gone back to the Dewalt because it has more power.

#3 posted 11-26-2014 05:14 PM

Don t be jealous of the Bosch ROS20VS. While its pleated filter is great in theory, the o-ring on the canister leaks so it still blows dust in your face. I have gone back to the Dewalt because it has more power.

- pintodeluxe

Thanks, I have the Bosch ROS20VS too and posted a review for it at the same time. I do much prefer the Dewalt over the Bosch.

View Todd's profile

Todd

#4 posted 11-26-2014 08:28 PM

I had the same problem adapting to my shop vac. I ended up just using masking tape and made it work. A kludge if there ever was one but it works fine. This is a great sander for the money!

-- Todd, Huntsville, AL

View chrisworker's profile

chrisworker

#5 posted 11-27-2014 12:33 AM

Thanks for the review. I have had mine for 2 years with heavy use and everything still runs good. As for dust collection, I use the dust hose from Bosch that I bought from Woodcraft I believe and it fits perfect. I owned the Bosch sander that you previously reviewed and I returned it that day. It felt like a lightweight compared to the dewalt.

-- Chris Bethlehem, PA

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#6 posted 11-27-2014 01:22 AM

Thanks for the detailed review. I hope it provides you with years of service.

Chris,
Good to know the Bosch 35mm hose works with it. I got mine at the big orange box store (VAC#0005) for cheap.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#7 posted 11-27-2014 01:27 AM

For anyone that is interested, I found 2 fittings that worked:

The first is an 1-1/4” hose adapter that had a lip to catch the hose. The second is one of the Dewalt quick-change adapters. I think it may be the 35mm adapter.

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

#8 posted 11-27-2014 03:59 AM

I’ve had mine about 7 years, I’m on my second hook and loop pad and it’s still going strong. I do find mine causes vibration issues with my hands after extended use though.

-- @craftcollectif , http://www.craftcollective.ca, https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftcollective?

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#9 posted 11-28-2014 09:45 PM

I use the Bosch and had the same o-ring problem. I looked through my box of Harbor Freight O-rings I bought a long time ago and found a slightly thicker one and put it on. Now, save for it being slightly harder to get off, I don’t leak anymore. And for cleaning, I don’t even try to pry that black cover off anymore. I just take a shop vac with a round crevice tool, (They come with most Rigids), and it fits right in and sucks the canister clean.

I agree, the Dewalt is a heavier duty feeling unit, but my old hands prefer the lighter ones…And my Bosch is going into it’s third year.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

2062 posts in 1971 days

#10 posted 11-29-2014 01:20 AM

Howdy,

I agree with the review and I am so\so about the dust collection. My variable speed works well but I run it top speed 99% of the time.

I have a small issue with the on off switch. It,s a little stiff. Sometimes you think its on and it just sheets off. It means you didn’t press the switch all the way to the on position. What is far worse is when you think you have turned it off and unplug it. The next time you plug it in, it jumps to life and hurls itself off the workbench and onto the floor.

Which means something actually. I believe my sander has had at least 5 such mishaps and still keeps right on working.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

#11 posted 11-29-2014 04:13 AM

If your sander has brushes, you can use one of these on it to control your speed.

#12 posted 11-29-2014 02:13 PM

Howdy,

I agree with the review and I am soso about the dust collection. My variable speed works well but I run it top speed 99% of the time.

I have a small issue with the on off switch. It,s a little stiff. Sometimes you think its on and it just sheets off. It means you didn t press the switch all the way to the on position. What is far worse is when you think you have turned it off and unplug it. The next time you plug it in, it jumps to life and hurls itself off the workbench and onto the floor.

- MarkTheFiddler

Funny I have the reverse with a very sensitive power switch.

View chrisworker's profile

chrisworker

#13 posted 11-29-2014 10:04 PM

I wanted to correct what I said earlier. My Fein shop vac hose fits the Dewalt sander perfectly. I use the Bosch hose for my 6” Bosch sander. The Fein hose really holds well in the Dewalt/ Porter Cable 5” h/l sander.

-- Chris Bethlehem, PA

View mikethetermite's profile

mikethetermite

#14 posted 12-01-2014 03:52 AM

I used my son’s variable speed Dewalt sander so long my two sons pitched in and bought one for me at Christmas last year. It took a while to get the right sized adapter to my shop vac, Shop vac is much better than the bag it came with. I still have my old Craftsman sander too, just not used much.

Thanks to all for sharing.

-- Mike The Termite ~~~~~ Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it.

View edlo's profile

edlo

#15 posted 02-05-2015 07:18 AM

I saw a great deals of sanders : Dewalt D26451K for $59.99 and a Milwaukee 5 for $69.99
what do you think is the best?

Cheers.