Excellent fit/finish and ergonomics, but feels underpowered

Review by paxorion posted 11-26-2014 03:30 PM 3434 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent fit/finish and ergonomics, but feels underpowered No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this sander (actually the Bosch20VSC with the only difference being a canvas bag vs the hard case) on a whim during Home Depot’s clearance of sanders. My rationale for purchasing this sander, was to have a speed sander and to devote separate 5” ROS sanders to different grits of sandpaper. In addition, for the price I paid for it (about $30), I figured I have very little to lose.

Good: Overall impression, is that the sander has an excellent fit and finish and stellar ergonomics. The sander is very quiet and has low vibration. Overall it feels great in use and I find the sander easier to control than my Dewalt D26451 (i.e. it doesn’t skate around the work as readily). The built-in pleated paper filter works well when sanding without active dust collection. Active dust collection with a dust extractor has been excellent. I’ve used this sander almost exclusively with 220 grit for my final power sanding thus far.

Bad: One one side, one can attribute the low vibration to good design. On the other, at 2.5amps, it is noticeable weaker than my Dewalt D26451 (which is rated at 3.0amps). The engineer in me sees less power as less energy to turn into vibration. When I did a side by side comparison (sanding pencil marks off several different species of wood) with the same grit and at the max speed, Dewalt was far faster (in time). Given my disdain for sanding, faster completion of sanding earns points in my book.

Ugly: Good sanding technique calls for relying on the weight of the tool and not to apply too much downward pressure. However even at the highest speed setting, it seems that even the slightly amount of downward pressure stops this sander in it’s tracks, and will cause a problem. I don’t know if you call this a “feature” to enforce proper sanding technique or just an under-powered unit. For me, it is far more of a nuisance than a “feature”.

It’s not to say that the unit isn’t a good unit. Others may consider what I deemed bad and ugly as good. I were to do it again, and had to pay full retail price, I can’t get over the comparison differences with the Dewalt and would opt for their variable speed version (D26453K).

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#1 posted 11-26-2014 03:45 PM

next time try one of these,only $59.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

#2 posted 11-26-2014 04:22 PM

I bought one of those about 2 years ago based on mostly positive reviews for ROS’s in that price range (~$60 if memory serves). I’m happy with it but then I don’t have anything to compare it to. I will say you probably made the right choice going with the canvas dust bag. The hard case is a pain in the ass to open and clean. Plus you don’t have the tactile feedback for how full it is like you do with a cloth bag.

-- Visualize whirled peas

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#3 posted 11-26-2014 04:41 PM

I bought one of those about 2 years ago based on mostly positive reviews for ROS s in that price range (~$60 if memory serves). I m happy with it but then I don t have anything to compare it to. I will say you probably made the right choice going with the canvas dust bag. The hard case is a pain in the ass to open and clean. Plus you don t have the tactile feedback for how full it is like you do with a cloth bag.

- muleskinner

The hard case is a pain to open and clean. I almost exclusively go with active dust collection with a shop vac or dust extractor connected, not a canvas dust bag.

-- paxorion

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#4 posted 11-27-2014 01:17 AM

Thanks for a thorough review. I try to keep up because you never know when you might be in the market for a new ROS.

next time try one of these,only $59.

- a1Jim

Jim,

How is the dust collection on the Milwaukee?

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#5 posted 11-27-2014 04:06 AM

Brad
I have two Milwaukee.s, one’s connected to Fein vac and the other I use with it’s standard dust collection ,The standard collection does as well as any of the other 7 ROS’s I have.

View JADobson's profile

JADobson

#6 posted 11-28-2014 10:46 PM

I had this sander for two days. I thought it worked well but it would start vibrating like crazy for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Like buck right off the work piece vibrate. Looked at some amazon reviews and it sounded like a few people had the same problem and that there are a few duds out there. If you get a good one though it seemed like a decent sander. I’ve got a dewalt now and like it for the most part. Not as comfortable as the Bosch though.

-- No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic. -- Lord Dunsany — Instagram @grailwoodworks