Makes big projects fun

Review by jshroyer posted 11-26-2014 01:22 PM 3189 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Makes big projects fun No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A while back I bought the Kreg Jig HD to build a farmhouse table. I wanted to be able to take the table apart so I decided on pocket holes to do the trick but didn’t think that my normal Kreg jig would do the job. I had tried using it on larger items before and it didn’t work out as well. Then I found the Kreg Jig HD and thought I would give it a try. I went to my local Menards to buy it on one of their 11% off sales (you just get a rebate to go back and get more) and picked one up. I built the table but no I keep using it for all sorts of things.

Uses: You can only use this on 2×2 stock or larger. That is a limitation if you are planning on using it for all sorts of other things. Jig block: The jig block is your standard blue plastic with metal inserts. The only feature I would want added is the clamp pad for the Kreg clamps that holds the Kreg clamps so you can just keep using it. I have had the issue of the drill bit biting when starting a hole so I use two Irwin SL300 quick clamps to hold it down and it doesn’t move at all now. I think this happens because I don’t set my Kreg clamp tight enough. Drill bit: The drill big is much larger and also has the hex shank which was nice when I was using it for 50 holes because my cordless drill kept needing charged on me. I switched to a big old craftsman drill I got a while back with a broken directional control. Put on a quick change hex chuck i found and went to town on it. The stop collar you have to locate by a measuring tape but you never have to move it. Seems like they should just install it for you. Screws and driver: The screws and driver are larger. The driver is a size larger (#3) so don’t loose it because they are harder to find. The screws come in 1 size and are rated for outdoor use. They do require a large amount of torque to install. My cordless Makita drill usually can do almost anything but its right at the limit with these.

I have used this on all sorts of quick projects. Most of them are related to workshop changes that I just need something quickly like: clamp rack, shelves between studs, and a bunch of little workbench add-on’s.

I would recommend this to someone who uses their current Kreg jig a lot and is always trying to rig something up. I wouldn’t recommend that your first Kreg jig be this one. Instead get one of the regular ones first then go to this one.

-- http://semiww.org/

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

View ajw1978's profile

ajw1978

#1 posted 11-26-2014 01:36 PM

I think this is what I have, but mine is called the R3 or R4. I love it. Great item to have in the cabinet … or, to make a cabinet.

-- May the good Lord help me if I ever actually have a shop, garage or basement.

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#2 posted 11-26-2014 01:51 PM

The R3 is the normal size Kreg jig. The HD is a larger size drill bit and screw.

-- http://semiww.org/

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#3 posted 11-26-2014 02:19 PM

These pocket hole jigs can really come in handy sometimes.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View ajw1978's profile

ajw1978

#4 posted 11-30-2014 06:40 PM

Thanks, jshroyer. I was confused the other day when I saw them both at Rockler (was first in line but the guy behind me drew the damn $250 gift card). Kicking myself right now because Amazon had the Master System for $75 over the weekend.