Non-slip router mat - Sometimes little things make a difference

Review by Llarian posted 2190 days ago 5806 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Non-slip router mat - Sometimes little things make a difference No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have to admit, I feel a little silly writing a review for what’s basically a heavy duty carpet pad. However, as a new woodworker who doesn’t have luxurys like a workbench with a tail vice and bench dogs, sometimes the little things can make a huge difference.

Using a router is a little difficult if your workpiece keeps sliding around, not to mention dangerous. This thing really solves the problem. Throw it on top of your tablesaw, put your workpiece on top of it, and go to town. It worked great for sanding and using my plunge router for doing edge profiles.

I only gave it 4 stars because hey, its just a piece of carpet pad really. However, it sure made my life a lot easier.

Note: This really isn’t for small pieces, only pieces with a large flat face. Its meant to replace a tail vice, not clamps.

-- Dylan Vanderhoof - General hobbiest and reluctant penmaker. http://llarian.etsy.com

View Llarian's profile

Llarian

View Jason's profile

Jason

I don’t know if I could be comfortable routing a small piece without clamping it.

-- Jason

View moshel's profile

moshel

ditto. I use the jig I described to hold small pieces and long niki clamps to hold more substantial material. I do put non-slip mat (the kind to buy for 2$ to line your drawers) under the piece if its clamped to the table.

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...

View Llarian's profile

Llarian

Yeah, I should’ve added that (and have now). This really isn’t for small pieces, its for larger flat pieces with a face that can contact the surface.

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

Dylan – I may have to look into one of these. The idea that you can use it for sanding pieces, as well as routing pieces is a big selling point in my book. I use an old rug, which is OK for sanding, but the pieces tend to slid around too much. I could see myself using this mat for routing mid-to-large panels and such, as it will minimize movement and protect the wood from scratches, marks, and dings. Nice review. I am glad you posted it.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View jcees's profile

jcees

Save your $$$ by accompanying the missus to the fabric store and purchase several yards of this stuff for about $2 per yard and you’ll have a lifetime supply. Better than paying $$$ for something called a “router mat.” It’s called anti-slip padding for throw rugs. You can cut it up for special situations and the like. I use it for larger stuff as I won’t hazard a workpiece by making it a projectile, OUCH!!!

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View jcees's profile

jcees

always,
J.C.

View bbqking's profile

bbqking

All of these things are the same, the only one missing was the stuff you put in your toolbox drawers, which is the same thing. These work great and do exactly what you want them to do, until they get completely coated with sawdust. Then they slide around like ball bearings. The answer? Throw them away or line your drawers with them and buy new ones. They’re cheap. bbqKing

-- bbqKing, Lawrenceville

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Ya, the non slip carpet pad, the draw liners, the tool box liner..it’s all the same stuff and does the same thing that the router pads do for allot cheaper. Another little shop trick I like to pass on is buy a couple shag bathroom rugs. They are cheap, nice and soft, and they have a non slip rubber back so they wont slide on tile. I put these on my workbench when I’m doing polish/final sanding on projects. Allows you to lay a piece on a finished sanded side and not mark or scratch it up, so you can sand in more comfortable positions without worry!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View itsme_timd's profile

itsme_timd

I could see this being a great addition to my arsenal. I’ve recently fought with some pieces as I buffed them out as they slipped and twisted all over my bench. Clamps get in they way of being able to polish the whole surface – this would be great. Thanks for sharing.

-- Tim D. - Woodstock, GA

View Skeeve's profile

Skeeve

I don’t know if it makes a difference but I use kitchen liners (liners normally for kitchen cabinets) for non-slip items. Seems to work great for a router map and I attach it to the bottom of my push blocks.

View scottdaddy's profile

scottdaddy

They work great!

-- It's when they don't show their prices that you know they may be trying to rip you off.