Porter Cable 690LR "Ouch"

Review by captferd posted 11-23-2014 11:47 PM 3898 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 690LR "Ouch" Porter Cable 690LR "Ouch" Porter Cable 690LR "Ouch" Click the pictures to enlarge them

Been using Porter Cable routers Since mid 80’s. Cant wear them out. Well at least not till now. I was setting the adjustments on my plunge router when the handle suddenly just broke. My thumb got a pretty good slice in the process. Luckily it wasn’t running at the time, that could have been disastrous. My advise to anyone that has one of these routers with the hard plastic handles would be to replace them. I had some rubber ones from another base that fit. I’m not sure if age may have played a part in the handle breaking, But as you can see it leaves a razor blade edge that will definitely slice your thumb. Still love my Porter Cable routers.

View russde's profile

russde

#1 posted 11-24-2014 12:12 AM

Thanks for the warning…I just picked up a used 690, I’ll look into replacing those handles…maybe some nice wooden ones….hmm.

View grantd's profile

grantd

#2 posted 11-24-2014 04:04 AM

How do you like the plunge base for that router. I’m looking to buy a router with both a fixed and plunge base but I’ve read some complaints about the plunge base on these not being very good. What are your thoughts?

View jacen68's profile

jacen68

#3 posted 11-24-2014 05:19 AM

Personally, I hate the plunge base. It has a funky metal tab you have to screw to flip it up to lock. I didn’t have the patience for it. I had one bad experience with this. Dropped the motor a few inches while using it. I now have it either in a table or in a D handle.

-- So much to do, so little time.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#4 posted 11-24-2014 07:19 AM

Yeah, the stupid metal tab is terrible, though it’s the only bad thing about this router in my experience. I use it more table mounted now.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#5 posted 11-24-2014 11:00 AM

It does take some getting use to. Has some pretty accurate adjustments. If your looking for a plunge router go to the store displays and see which one you feel most comfortable using. Check the reviews on line and see what others are saying. There are a lot of good brands out there.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 11-25-2014 02:24 AM

I used to be a PC fan – not any more. Now, I’m a Bosch person. My PC is almost retired, relegated to rare, oddball tasks. Too hard to use compared to the Bosch.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Hewy's profile

Hewy

#7 posted 11-25-2014 08:01 PM

I had the same problem with the plastic knob breaking on my PC plunge router base.
The knob broke when I was just setting the cutter depth, it just fell apart in my hand!
Lucky I was not cut like you were. After seeing the same thing happen to you, I think these knobs
are defective and should be replaced.

#8 posted 11-25-2014 11:46 PM

Hewy, That’s exactly what happened with mine. I agree about replacement.

#9 posted 11-26-2014 11:08 PM

Thx for the heads up glad it wasn’t worse.

View grosa's profile

grosa

#10 posted 12-01-2014 01:49 AM

They just don’t make them like they used to.

-- Have a great day.

#11 posted 12-01-2014 01:52 AM

They just don t make them like they used to.

- grosa