My entire history with this saw thus far.

Review by Paul posted 11-22-2014 03:32 AM 5258 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My entire history with this saw thus far. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The first 2/3 of this will be copied and pasted from the first impressions of the saw and my 6 month review of it on the forums here. The last section will be new. If you have already read my first 2 posts about this or don’t feel like reading it skip to section 3/3.

_
1/3

Purchased a 35990G as a floor model from my local Steel City warehouse distributor. I figured I’d leave some initial thoughts of the saw as there was not much out there for information before I purchased.

Purchase cost was $500 and they threw in a free digital blade angle read out. This was a floor model that was in the front of the warehouse where customers walk in to display their products. It was assembled and explained to me that it was only used for a few test cuts. Sold! It’s essentially a new saw. They had 2 of their techs disassemble the 3 piece granite top and mobile base and fork lift it into the back of my truck.

Unlike most contractor/hybrid saws in this price range G715p etc, the steel city has true cabinet mounted trunnions.

Squaring the blade to mitre’s took 10-15 mins max. The next step, attaching the 2 granite wings. This is the only flaw I have found in the first 4 days of owning the saw. This was probably more my fault for over tightening one of the right wing bolts but I stripped the threads on one of the front right granite table wings. The granite is drilled out then filled with epoxy then threaded for 3/4” bolts. I drilled out the stripped epoxy re threaded and didn’t over tighten.

After getting both granite wings in place (They are heavier than cast iron) the rest of the setup was a breeze.

The fence rails are 2” by 2” square metal, the fence is a self squaring t style. There is a little slop in the fence when not locked down, it took some getting used to. When the fence is locked you would need to hit it with a hammer to nudge the rear end, it’s very solid!

Dust Collection!
TERRIBLE! the entire cabinet is theoretically enclosed with a 4” dust port on the bottom of the cabinet. With my 2HP HF DC on initial setup dust collection was around 50% (guessing) it was messy. BUT after getting inside the cabinet and sealing everything off, what a treat! after sealing the cabinet the 4” dust collection gets 95%+ of everything coming off the blade

Surprisingly the dust collection after sealing the cabinet is the best surprise about the 35990G. I spent 5 straight minutes cross cutting a 12” section of 3/4” oak ply nibbling away at it. There was practically nothing on the table top or floor.

I went with the granite top for a few reasons. It’s about 50lbs heavier than the cast iron top and reduces vibration and noise a little better. The granite wings meet at the mitre slots. This does 2 things for me, 1 there are no seams in the top, 2 the mitre slots are actually slightly adjustable.

I will post an official review of the saw after a few months of putting her through her paces but thus far I am highly impressed by this heavy contractor saw. If you have a Steel City warehouse distributor I highly recommend a call to see if they are parting ways with their floor models. At $500 bucks it’s a steal. Strong motor, no vibration, and very quite!

A monster saw in a contractor body.

_
2/3

After a full 6 months with the saw.

A lot has changed with the shop! little has changed with the main workhorse.

A few things I like and dislike. (Steel City is currently moving to a new line of product, this is not a review of their new product)

Likes:

The granite top: Glue ups! squeeze as much excess glue as you want out of those joints! leave the glue up on the saw over night and take a chisel to the table top in the morning. Poly? sure why not, chisel in the morning, shellac? sure chisel in the morning.

The true joy of having a large granite table saw top to work on is nothing sticks to it. Being in a small shop I use my table saw top as a bench and clue up center a lot, this alone give the top 5 stars.

Motor: 1.5hp 17amp motor for the cabinets that I make and the furniture that I do hasn’t bogged or been an issue on even 2.5” thick red oak with the correct blade.

Dust Collection: This will classify as a like AFTER you seal the inside. After sealing the inside of the saw, which took about 4 hours of trial and error I would classify the DC from the factory OEM 4” dust port excellent! I have a 6’ run of 4” hose to a 2hp HF DC and it’s plenty to suck everything off the surface.

The dislikes:

The fence, I want from a job site saw to this saw and was initially astounded by the lock and load t square fence! That lock and load fascination was quickly put to the test with 1/4” ply I was cutting for the backs of some cabinets. The rear lock on the rear rail is pretty weak. Its hard to adjust the back of the fence to keep very thin material from trying to get under it while ripping. I added material to the fence to adjust for it but am overall unimpressed with the accuracy of the fence.

Overall All! 4/5 stars.

My overall rating is based on some minor fixes, dc, fence etc but anyone can accomplish in a day.

I wanted to follow up my first post on the new saw if anyone was following.

Thanks,

==========—-======
3/3

The final write-up.

After fixing some small non critical issues this saw has been great. My 4/5 stars from the last review still holds, and everything I said in the last review is still the same.

This last section of the review is for some of the bigger changes I have done to the saw. I grew out of the 30” rip capacity of the stock fence. I purchased some beefier angle iron for the real rails and relocated some bolt holes of the front mounts to shift the entire fence system to the right allowing for 42.75” rip capacity. Along with relocating the fence I added a home made router table, and home made router fence.

The modified stock fence is nice for dado’s on the new router wing. Some pics to follow.

A highly recommended hybrid table saw!

Thanks for looking,

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#1 posted 11-22-2014 03:56 AM

Sounds like a good saw.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#2 posted 11-22-2014 04:30 AM

There is very little out there on this saw. Did my best to document what I’ve gone through with it.

#3 posted 11-23-2014 06:27 AM

Glad to hear it has worked out for you as a great purchase

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 11-25-2014 12:14 AM

I have owned the Ridgid 4511 for about 5 years. i’m pretty sure it’s almost the same saw with a slightly different body (mostly involving dust collection). I can say this saw has performed flawlessly for me. I love the Granite top, dead flat and NO RUST. I don’t have a heated shop, so all my steel rusts like crazy. I have to refinish steel surfaces about two times a year. The 1.5 hp motor has been all I ever needed (and I have used 5hp Powermatics) and love that it’s 110v.

I will miss this saw when it goes to tool heaven.

#5 posted 01-08-2015 03:39 AM

- Moron

Thanks for your input.

#7 posted 01-08-2015 04:14 AM

no problem paul

your project postings inspires me to do more and say less,

this moron bows to your wisdom

sorry