A great little tool every shop should have (Temp/Hum gauge)

Review by Jeff Mazur posted 11-20-2014 01:30 AM 3013 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great little tool every shop should have (Temp/Hum gauge) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not much to say about this, just wanted to share my latest and probably cheapest shop acquisition. This AcuRite Temperature and Humidity Monitor cost me $10 at HD, has a clearly readable LCD display, shows current relative humidity, current temperature, hi/lo for each over last 24 hours, and gives you your choice of F or C display. For mounting, it has a spring-loaded belt-clip type device on the back with a pretty strong magnet built in (in the photo you see it mounted using just the magnet on one of the steel poles in my basement shop.) It uses one AA battery, which is not included. Its stated range is 16-98% humidity and 32-122 degrees F.

I’m not sure if this is dead-on accurate, but it seems pretty good and for 10 bucks I am DELIGHTED – now I know my shop’s conditions for purposes of judging what my wood is stored in and what kind of risk of rust there is for my equipment. Highly recommend, assuming it doesn’t die an early death for some reason.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

874 posts in 1900 days

#1 posted 11-20-2014 02:45 AM

I have the same one in my shop as well. Love it.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#2 posted 11-20-2014 03:02 PM

Glad to hear this works well, I just told my wife on Monday that I wanted one for my birthday or Christmas. I plan on mounting it to the steel pole in my garage. Thanks for posting this review.

I generally take the reviews on this site to be more reliable than the ones on HD’s website (although it did get 4.5/5 stars).

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

#3 posted 11-20-2014 03:30 PM

@BinghamtonEd – Be mindful of the usable temperature range and that you won’t be able to count on any measure of accuracy whenever the temperature goes below freezing (if it does) in your garage. (Relative humidity readings depend upon accurate knowledge of temperature, not just the moisture level in the air.)

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#4 posted 11-20-2014 03:40 PM

Dreek, I saw that range, and I’m OK with it. If it’s below 32, I probably won’t be in the garage to notice that the thermometer didn’t drop any more! I mainly want to use it to determine when I can start applying glue/finish in the garage again, and to see where the humidity level falls in comparison to the annual swings while building a project.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

#5 posted 11-20-2014 03:43 PM

Sounds like it’ll work for you, then. Glad the review helped!

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#6 posted 11-21-2014 08:13 PM

Agree. I’ve had one of these for years and bought a second for the garage for the jobs Ed mentioned. It’s a wireless one so I don’t have to go in there to check.

Lazy <- – - – me