Garage Sale Quality

Review by Virgil posted 11-18-2014 06:39 PM 6762 views 0 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Garage Sale Quality Garage Sale Quality Garage Sale Quality Click the pictures to enlarge them

Laguna has left a first and lasting impression on me. The saw I received came with numerous cosmetic flaws. From the runs in the paint on the motor, to what looks like dents in the edge of the doors, various chips in the paint on the table, plastic parts that look like they have been chewed on, to holes needing to be drilled out for assembly. This saw looks like something I would have purchased at a garage sale. I am passionate about wood working and just as passionate about my wood working tools. I don’t think Laguna understands me. The only thing I like about this saw is it’s large capacity.

This is my first review. Thank you all for your comments and questions. I don’t think I can respond to them here though.

—virgilwithtops@gmail.com

-- virgilwithtops@gmail.com

View Virgil's profile

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 11-18-2014 06:57 PM

Thanks for taking time to let us know what your experience has been. It is appreciated.

I see a trend building.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

484 posts in 1932 days

#2 posted 11-18-2014 07:06 PM

Apart from the cosmetic issues and additional work for proper assembly, how does it operate? How long have you been using it? I agree the cosmetic problems shouldn’t be there but how does it perform?

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

677 posts in 2033 days

#3 posted 11-18-2014 07:31 PM

I guess the big Sweede isn’t really running the show anymore. When he and his family were operating the company back in the late 90s to early 2000’s they were a great outfit. I bought an X31 from them. They had first class customer service. Now.. not so much. At least from every article I have read in the past 6 months.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View ward63's profile

ward63

#4 posted 11-19-2014 03:01 AM

IMO, I would return it immediately…..or tell them you want 50% of the purchase price back.

View Todd Swartwood's profile

Todd Swartwood

#5 posted 11-19-2014 03:01 PM

I agree with Ward I would not except this tool and would return it for refund.

-- Todd Swartwood (Todd Swart-Woodworks)

#6 posted 11-19-2014 03:32 PM

Welcome to LJs
This parallels the kind of experience I’ve had with Laguna over the years. Poor products with customer service to match.
If LJ members would only search “Laguna”on LJs they would see more folks that had bad experiences with Laguna before they the mistake of buying Laguna’s inferior products .
I suggest you edit your title to this thread.

“Laguna, Garage Sale Quality” to help others from making the same mistake.
I’d return it.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View August McCormick Lehman III's profile

August McCormick Lehman III

#7 posted 11-19-2014 03:40 PM

i totally agree with jim
and sorry for your wasted time
i bought two big item from them not including the drift fence and resaw king blade
anyway
i purchase the sliding table saw from them and the 14hd bandsaw which booth wasnt made by them just change the name
the table saw i totally redid the entire set up.
for the bandsaw there drift fence dont even match the saw table.

-- https://photos.google.com/b/114897950873317692653/

View PRGDesigns's profile

PRGDesigns

#8 posted 11-19-2014 04:20 PM

I researched Laguna when I was first interested in purchasing a CNC. They had some rather unique pricing, which got my attention, but when they sent me their sales brochure and it was full of spelling errors, technical errors, etc. I knew then I didn’t want to deal with that level of incompetence, especially on a machine as potentially complicated as a CNC.

-- They call me Mr. Silly

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#9 posted 11-19-2014 06:12 PM

If looking at correct model Laguna saw looks like it should be an outstanding band saw for hobbyist or small shop.

After reading OP’s post and looking at pictures really hits home about how many units fit into a shipping container and vendors here not worried about quality control for the products they sell.

Sadly today we have two types of tool vendors. You have the vendor that imports them and stores that charges you to order a unit. While some importers customer service little better than others. You still end up paying to ship a unit back to the importer or store plus restocking fees when things go south.

After reading Laguna’s warranty in the manual and what customer service rep told the OP, makes me both mad & sad!

-- Bill

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#10 posted 11-19-2014 09:15 PM

The OP is a bit vague about the exchange between Laguna Tools and himself. Is Laguna refusing to replace the damaged bandsaw or not? What exactly did their CS say? (Post the e-mail exchange!)

-Ben

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#11 posted 11-20-2014 01:31 AM

It sucks when you purchase a great product (14twelve band saw) from a company that has such a bad reputation for customer service. I haven’t had a problem with my band saw, but am nervous how they will handle it when/if I do. All I can say is I hope they deal with your issues appropriately.

View Jeff Mazur's profile

Jeff Mazur

#12 posted 11-20-2014 01:47 AM

It’s a shame to hear this about Laguna – they had gotten some decent reviews of their equipment in recent months, from what I recall.

If I should strike it rich, I think that I shall start a company that makes quality power tools here in the USA. From what I have seen, you can’t buy good American iron even if you’re willing to pay top dollar – we just don’t make anything. That’s just wrong.

-- Woodworking is a beautiful, physical, cerebral, and noble art.

View Virgil's profile

#13 posted 11-20-2014 05:31 PM

LT 14 SUV I have had the saw since June and have not used it. Why? We are in the busy season where I work currently 70 hours a week sometimes more. And honestly feel a little beat up over this issue. So much so that at one point I thought of taking the saw back to the retailers franchise store and pushing it off the back of the truck and leaving. The saw was on its way back I took it apart and crated it for shipping and have not bothered to reassemble. I bought the saw threw a retailer not Laguna. The original response from both retailer and Laguna were great, but quickly turned sour. The issues are complicated I researched as best I could before buying this saw. I then called the retailer at there distribution center and the local franchise. I told them what I was and was not looking for. The SUV 14 was at the bottom of the list. then the Powermatic 15” and last the SUV 16”was the upper side of my budget set. I was clear that I did not want a saw made from country of origin were this saw was manufactured. I was told I was good to go with the SUV 14. Problem is the retailer told me that there reps don’t necessarily know this information. They proudly boast made in USA or other countries but for some its like pulling teeth. You inquire and their response is that its not required to be posted. Why? So customer service saw this issue only in my opinion and not the numerous flaws. The retailer customer service became quite agitated with me over thees issues and I got the feeling from them, they thought I was trying to shake them down for a even trade for a saw twice the value This was said to me over the phone in a loud agitated voice. Laguna’s saw manager was brought into this issue early on by the retailer bypassing Laguna customer service. Laguna agreed to take back the saw for credit and I would purchase the SUV 16” made in Italy. He said I would have to wait till they received imports. I heard nothing for some time, now I was passed the 30 return portion of the warranty. I finally contacted Laguna again the terms offered changed to me taking 1/3 $$ loss on the saw, and Laguna would make it up to me with a good price on the SUV 16”. Turns out the good price was $200. more then I could buy it on sale at the original retailer I bought from. This is where Laguna told me good luck finding a saw made in the USA. Strange when I was trying to buy one made in Italy? Then the comment from Laguna to dump it on line. I don’t now why they expected me to agree to take a loss on a saw delivered in such condition. I am starting to ramble but hope I have answered some of the questions. The main issues to me are Retailer refusal to give me the choice of what I purchase from what country. MANUFACTURERS in a rush to move there operations of manufacturing to other countries have a history of Exceptionally poor QUALITY control as well as use of lower grade material. Of course it has been pointed out this is just my opinion. But is my money.

-- virgilwithtops@gmail.com

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#14 posted 11-22-2014 02:22 AM

I suggest you put this behind you as quickly as possible..unless you want to spend many hours working the legal and email side..this may take months to resolve, and you still won’t have a band saw..dump it and buy one on cl. identify what went wrong..learn from the mistakes( theirs and yours)..and avoid/insure against it in the future..this is a learning op for buying almost any big ticket item.

I know this burns you, but don’t let it ruin your enjoyment of your family and upcoming holidays.

My 2 cents…good luck!

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#15 posted 11-22-2014 01:14 PM

+1 for Jim’s comments.
This site is why I ended up with a Grizzly instead of a Laguna.
I know the country of origin is Taiwan on my Grizzly, but I’m not sure that the Italians are currently putting out a much better product, what with their economy in the shambles it is in over the last few years.

And my Grizzly has been just about perfect in every way, including cosmetics. I even take extra time to clean it, it looks so nice to me. Only problem? Got some sawdust in the guide bearings and they started to bind. A cleaning with WD-40, and light oiling afterwards and they run like new. Mine is about 18 months old now.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN