Mirka Autonet, Abranet, Abralon sanding disk and Ceros Sander

Review by jgt1942 posted 11-17-2014 04:54 AM 10170 views 2 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mirka Autonet, Abranet, Abralon sanding disk and Ceros Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Mirka is well known for their sanding products and I have used their sanding disk for years but as with any sanding disk you always have the problem of clogging and dust. As an answer to this Mirka has a line of disk that look like window screening and virtually eliminate dust if you are using a good vacuum with your sander (more on this later). Following are a couple of images of a sanding disk.

As you can easily see (no pun intended) you can actually see through the disk.
In this line the most common offerings are the Autonet, Abranet, Abralon disk. As you shop around you will find this line offering 3”, 5”, 6”, rolls and pads for most of the different offerings. Autonet disk are intended for auto body work but in my test they performed as good as the Abranet (these were developed for woodworking) on wood and when you purchase the Autonet usually they are a few dollars cheaper. I normally purchase 5” disk in boxes of 50 disk and expect to pay between $24-30 per box. I estimate that these disk out last normal sandpaper disk by 5-10.

In my initial test on some scrap pine I use 120 grit Abranet and Autonet on my sander and sanded an equal amount of time and attempted to sand the same amount of material. I could not tell any difference between the two areas. In general the Autonet is a few dollars less expensive so I’ve started purchasing the Autonet.

• Autonet grit range – P80, P120, P180, P220, P240, P320, P400, P500, P600, P800
• Abranet grit range – P80-P180, P240, P320-P1000

The Abranet Ace is a new product and is touted to cut faster because of the Ceramic/Ceramic coating. I have a few disk for testing but have not started the test. Grit range – P80-P240, P320-P1000 I have a few questions I need to research before I start my test with the Ace disk.

As long as you have Hook & Loop pads these disk will work on your sander however you should also purchase the Mirka 9955 5” Abranet Grip Faced (Hook and Loop) Pad Protector in-order to extend the life of the pad on your sander. Generally they come five to a pack and cost about $20 for the five, see the following image.

Mirka also offers Heavy Duty disk in the Arbranet line. These have a thicker back and are more expensive $30-$35 for a box of 30 but because they are HD the extra expense is worth it. HD grit range – P40, P60, P80, P120-P180.

Mirka also offers the ABRALON disk – Abralon is a unique, multifunctional sanding material developed for tackling both smooth and profiled surfaces. Its patented, flexible construction allows it to create a smooth sanding pattern on angled surfaces and edges while minimizing the risk of pressure marks. The flexible weave also allows water and air to pass freely, making it suitable for both dry and wet sanding, by machine or by hand. Grit range – 180, 360, 500, 600, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000. This product gets a bit expensive and I only saw it offered in 3” and 6” disk. The price for a box of 6” disk ranged from low $60 to $110.

In general woodworking there is a lot of debate about using a grit finer than 220 but I have used up to 600 on hardwood and have been very pleased with the results. With turning it is common to work your way from 80 up through 600. I have not tried anything finer than 600 at this time but I do have the full range of Abralon rectangular sheets that I will be testing in the near future. This should give me a super surface on my turning pieces.

Up to this point I had been using the Ridgid 5” oscillating sander for my general sanding but I had two issues with it (1) it creates a LOT of dust [One of my future projects will be to connect our central vac to it] (2) the air discharge is on the left side of the unit and being right-handed I often found that the air discharge hit me in the face. This of course is very annoying.

I had the chance to pick up a Mirka Ceros (Mirka is now offering the Deros as the replacement) sander and vacuum (Mirka is now offering the compact Dust Extractor 1025 L for both wet and dry applications as the replacement). This can get expensive but it is like any really good tool, until you use it the price is hard to justify. When I got home with the unit I immediately connected the vacuum unit to the AC, attached an Autonet 120 disk and begin to sand. I was immediately super pleased with the results and continued to sand for about 45 minutes, with the same disk on the sander. I had recently completed the build of my main workbench (37” x 96”) and was using the bench top for the test. As I turned off the Ceros sander I realized that there was almost no dust anywhere and not once did the sander blow air into my face. I can only imagine that the new Deros and Dust Extractor 1025 will be better.

I highly recommend any of these disk for your general woodworking or turning as well as the Ceros or Deros sanders with a vacuum. I almost never use my Ridgid sander now that I have my Ceros.

View seriousturtle's profile

seriousturtle

#1 posted 11-17-2014 12:53 PM

Really good review. I’ve been thinking about the abranet for my festool sander. I wonder how the pad protector actually works?

-- ~the turtle

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#2 posted 11-17-2014 02:02 PM

Thanks for the detailed review. I may have to order some for a future project.

Always looking for a better sanding product.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#3 posted 11-17-2014 06:14 PM

We need to have the woodworking equivalent of a M-B vs. BMW showdown, the $500 ROS shootout: Festool Sander vs. Mirka sander. And to let a Lexus into the fight, maybe a Bosch 1250DEVS.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#4 posted 11-17-2014 07:21 PM

I love reviews for their general overview of features, ergonomics, cost, etc.

Unfortunately, most professional reviews do not conduct long term testing, survey long term users, run detailed quality control measurements on machined parts, or try to sort out possible long term reliability issues, etc. which is what I want to know.

Almost everybody loves that brand new tool first rattle out of the box. It is the long term experiences I find among my fellow LJ’s that provide the most valuable information I need.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#5 posted 11-17-2014 09:48 PM

For what is worth, I have every product listed above , and several more Mirka products. I do Woodworking and finishing for a living, and the Mirka products have held up to our punishing schedule. I have nothing but praise for the products. Been using them for years… The best on the market in my opinion…

#6 posted 11-17-2014 09:58 PM

Charles, how dare you settle this without the battle royale.

#7 posted 11-17-2014 10:40 PM

Sorry Charles ,I also have their pneumatic sanders , the Cerous , and dust extractors , the whole deal.. I tried the Green tools, the ergonomics of the cerous is equal to the air sanders , light weight , one hand operation. THey are hard to beat, .. just saying .

#8 posted 11-17-2014 10:54 PM

Just don’t tell any Festool owners that there is a sander that is both better and more expensive than a Festool. Their heads will explode.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#9 posted 11-17-2014 11:05 PM

I’m a die hard Festoolie and have the ETS150 and RO150 along with one of the DTS400 detail sanders. I was working on flattening some panels and thought about getting the large, flat RS2 as the ETS was a little too top heavy and I’d sometimes tilt it. I was also getting some carpal tunnel from all of the sanding and work I was doing at the time. I saw the Ceros at Woodcraft and purchased it pretty quickly thereafter. I feel it is a replacement for both the ETS150 and RO150 but while I’m selling my ETS150, I will likely keep the RO150 around for any rough or outdoor work I might need to do. I like that the Ceros is light, low-profile, and easy to handle. I no longer have the problem of tilting the sander as it has such a low profile. The only real issue is having to order the adapter for the Festool vac, not being able to use the Festool plug, and having an outboard power box on the vac. I’ve dealt/deal with those issues and find it is completely worth it. To me, the Ceros is a heck of a lot better sander for my needs than the ETS150 and if I didn’t already own the RO150, there would be no reason for me to want one. The Ceros is a great sander.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#10 posted 11-18-2014 01:14 PM

I used these a lot but found that even with the interim pad they wore down the hooks on my sander too fast. The interim pad has a lot of holes in it instead of the 6 that my sander has. Where ever these holes are the hooks on your sanding disk will be worn smooth and not work any more. Just my two cents.

The longevity of the sanding disk and it’s performance were superior though.

#11 posted 11-18-2014 01:33 PM

Anybody else have experience with the abranet disks on non-Mirka sander? If it destroys the Velcro, that’s would slow me down.

#12 posted 11-18-2014 01:46 PM

Charles , the pads do fine on non Mirka sanders.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#13 posted 11-18-2014 04:26 PM

Being a Festool Junkie for many years now, I opted out of the Festool sander and went with Mirka. The sander has been through hell and back, virtually dust free when using the Abernet paper with vacuum. 5 years later with some serious hours on the tool, its still working perfectly. I also use the sacrificial hook and loop disks to extend the life of the pad. Cant say I have any issues with them as the original pad is pretty much mint shape.

The nice thing about the Abernet sandpaper, hook and loop velcro…... It works on any sander with the same system.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

#14 posted 11-19-2014 05:46 AM

Really good review. I ve been thinking about the abranet for my festool sander. I wonder how the pad protector actually works?

- seriousturtle

The pad protector will work on your Festool sander. You put it on between the pad on your sander and the disk. Mine stays on 100% of the time. I also have one on my Ridgid sand which I almost never use since I got my Ceros.
BTW Festool also makes a great vacuum for their sander.

#15 posted 11-19-2014 05:54 AM

The longevity of the sanding disk and it s performance were superior though.

- Craftsman on the lake

I have not found this to be the case, e.g, the hooks ware out. I’ve been using my Ceros for about a year now (I was just super slow on the review) and I still have the original protector pad on it. I have gone through a LOT of sanding disk. For some of my grits I’m still working my way through the old sandpaper disk. As I use up the old disk or get discouraged with them I replace them with the Autonet but now I think I will switch to the Abranet Ace disk. I expect to complete my test this week.