JET DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector: Unpacking and Assembly

Review by groland posted 11-14-2014 04:28 AM 6470 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector: Unpacking and Assembly JET DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector: Unpacking and Assembly No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I may be the only person nutty enough to think this might be of interest to anyone, but if you are contemplating purchase of one of these units, this may be of interest to you. I purchased this unit from Global Industrial on Nov. 6, 2014. The price was $699.99 to which was added $35.00 for residential delivery, totaling $734.99. Unless you have a loading dock, I recommend the residential delivery service because everything is shipped shrink-wrapped on a palette. My delivery was made by Estes. I could not have been happier with their service. They phoned me and determined a time when I would be home to meet the truck. The truck had a lift gate on the back and a dolly to move paletted items. The driver rolled the palette into my garage and dropped it off.

After removing the shrink wrap I faced two sealed cartons. The one on the left contained the Canister Filter and the other the Dust Collector. Both cartons were heavy, double-walled cardboard—very sturdy stuff—and despite a few scrapes and dents they were in good shape.

The dust collector parts were well bedded in styrofoam inserts. Here they are as removed from the carton:

All parts shipped were listed in the manual and it took little time to verify I had all the parts that were supposed to be included. I was pleased with the fit and finish of the parts which had heavy baked enamel in off-white. The gauge of the sheet metal seemed appropriate to me.

The first part of the assembly was to attach the casters to the underside of the base:

The base had holes which were threaded to which parts were attached. This made attachment very straightforward since only one 13mm wrench was needed for bolting on most parts.

The next job was to attach the Motor and Fan Assembly which bolted to the base with four washers and bolts.

Next three support legs were loosely attached to hold the Housing.

The Housing was attached next to the top of the legs. This part of the assembly was more demanding because bolts, washers and nuts had to be attached since the holes in the housing weren’t threaded and reaching inside the housing with a wrench to tighten the bolts was a little difficult.

Next the cone was mounted inside the housing, hung from the black metal strap in the top of the housing, and the hose from the blower to the housing was attached.

The last thing was install the handle on the dust canister—bolts and washers again—and attach it to the housing. This was not well-explained in the user’s guide. There is a gasket on the inside of the canister that mates with and forms a seal against the top of the housing. The top of the housing has a slightly flared rim. The idea is to push down on the canister to make the gasket firm against that rim, then the four little black-handled knobs that screw in press against the flare on its underside which helps develop the seal and secures the canister.

The housing looks a little out of level to me. The support legs have slots so some adjustment is possible. I may try to level the housing a little better later on.

Now I have to attach the plastic bag under the housing, attach it to a machine and let the dust fly!

At 115 Volts, this machine is supposed to be on a 20 amp circuit. If I do not have that, I am probably going to have my electrician rewire the unit for 220V which looks like a simple job in the user’s guide.

The whole unit does wobble a little when moved around. It’s a bit top-heavy, perhaps exacerbated by the bulk of the canister, and the support legs tend to flex a bit when the unit is moved. My garage floor is very uneven and this wobbliness is worrisome, but, in use, the dust collector probably will not be moved around a lot. If stability becomes a problem, I can consider adding some bracing.

I hope you enjoyed this posting and if you have any questions regarding this unit, I’ll be happy to try to answer them. I have never used a dust collector before—just a shop vac attached to my machines, so any suggestions you have for use would be welcome.

I hope to add another review after I have used the dust collector for awhile.

Thanks for looking!

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

#1 posted 11-14-2014 04:53 AM

I have this same DC and you should be very happy with it, I know I am.

-- Earl

#2 posted 11-14-2014 06:16 PM

I also have this same colledtor- I have upgraded mine with a larger set of casters (which I had on Hand) so it would roll evenbetter. i would also like to recommend buying a remote control – mine is a “rockler” unit – have not had any problems with the collector or remote. I did remove my filter after about 1 full year of use and it was completely full of very light dust – I took it out in my yard in August and cleaned it out with my gas powered leaf blower – it worked very well for cleaning this item out also be shur to have a plan for replacing the clear bags- I go thru about 3 a year at this time

#3 posted 11-14-2014 08:13 PM

Thanks retfr8flyr and 1yeldud1 for your comments. I’m really pleased that you are happy with this DC.

The comments on cleaning the canister with a leaf blower were especially interesting. I have an electric leaf blower, so I’ll use that when it’s time to clean the canister.

Do you guys attach the DC to one machine at a time or have it in a fixed location with hoses and blast gates to your tools?

George

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

2750 posts in 2019 days

#4 posted 11-15-2014 01:58 AM

If you have a 220 outlet, you should be able to do the motor switchover yourself. Very simple. Instructions should be on the motor plate, or inside the cover to the motor’s cord inlet box.

View Moose82's profile

Moose82

#5 posted 11-15-2014 02:35 AM

I love mine! Sure you will too!

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

#6 posted 11-15-2014 05:43 AM

George, I just connect it to the machine I am using at the time. I have limited space and have to move machines around, when in use, so it’s easier to just hook up the DC when I am using that machine. I have found the clear bag to be very easy to install but can be difficult to get it to release when it gets full. I try and empty mine when it’s about half full, it’s just easier for me. I just dump everything into a regular trash bag and reuse the heavy clear bag.

-- Earl

#7 posted 11-15-2014 11:06 AM

Basically I do the same as “retfr8flyer” – I move/roll mine around the shop and use “rockler” dust right connectors for all of my machines – Several years ago i chose rockler connectors and they have worked fine – i think i have replaced one broken connector in 5 years. I also try to fill my clear bag to about 1/2 full and dump it into a 55 gallon yard bag (outside the shop) I have a friend who has a outside burning wood stove and he takes all of the saw dust i make – actually he supplies me with 55 gallon yard bags to use – lol – I have a tag attached to my collector with a date of about every 6 months to remind me to remove the large air filter and clean it out in the yard with my leaf blower – I use a 12 inch disc sander a lot and you will be amazed how much dust is retained in the canister filter even after stirring it with the handle – just be pick a spot out in the yard to do this cleaning

View Duckster's profile

Duckster

#8 posted 11-16-2014 10:07 PM

I’m glad you are happy with these units. I bought the 650 CFMunit from Rockler and it works fine if your close to the piece of equipment your using. It does not work worth a flip for the application I am using. I am running 35 feet of 4” hose and it doesn’t work well. What isthe CFM power of your unit?

-- Duckster, Texas. {Any day of fishing, Beats a good day at work.} Wash your feet and love Jesus

#9 posted 11-17-2014 01:45 AM

”I hope to add another review after I have used the dust collector for awhile.”
Good idea…that’s what a review is actually supposed to be used for. Glad to see that the palletized product and delivery by Estes warranted 5 stars in this “review”. Be sure to update this when you plug it in for the first time.

#10 posted 11-22-2014 10:01 PM

runswithscissors,
I am electrically challenged and do nothing with wiring. I do feel capable of resetting a tripped circuit breaker or using an extension cord but that’s it. I have an excellent electrician and he stopped by to help me. It took two phone calls to JET to determine what to do. The first concern was whether it would void the warranty either to cut off the stock plug or completely rewire the unit (apparently not).

The second phone call was necessitated by the fact that the rewiring diagram inside the switch box was different from the one in the Manual. The JET advisor told the electrician what to do, which he understood, but he wasn’t too excited about their method. We’ll see after Thanksgiving if it works out as we’re waiting for appropriate plugs which our electrical supplier was temporarily out of.

#11 posted 11-22-2014 10:06 PM

yeldud1,
Thanks. I got the dust connection kit and a long section of 4” hose from Rockler this week. While the electrician was working on the wiring, I attached dust ports to my table saw, jointer, planer and band saw. It was so cold I had to heat the 4” hose with a hair dryer to lesses its stiffness and was then able to connect it to the DC and the end that connects to the machines.

View gko's profile

gko

#12 posted 12-27-2014 10:04 AM

I had the smaller Jet DC and it just was not moving enough air to make a difference. So bit the bullet and bought this one. Huge difference in the amount of air it sucks. I installed two new electrical outlets in my shop. Both 20 amps. When I had the smaller DC my 15 amp circuit was not able to handle the current with both my table saw and DC running. It ran ok with 1” stock but putting 2” caused it to stall quite a bit I put an amp meter and it showed about 13 amps with both machines running without load but pushing 1” stock through and it quickly rose to 16 amp. 2” stock and it would go up to 18 amps. I was surprised the breaker didn’t kick in at 18 amps but I guess it will take it for awhile. I knew if I bought a larger DC I would be popping the breaker all the time so added the 2 circuits. With both machines on their own 20 amp circuits 2” boards causes no stalling.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View SFLTim's profile

SFLTim

59 posts in 1975 days

#13 posted 12-28-2014 01:40 AM

I received this unit as a Christmas gift and sadly woke up that morning to a unit which sustained damage to the top metal canister unit. It had a crushed side and the cylinder is out of round. Very disappointing. My wife purchased it on Amazon when they had an amazing deal for $594. I will give them credit, they are picking up the damaged unit and delivering a new one within a week. I hope the next one is okay, I’ve heard very good things about this unit and I’m excited to see the level of cleanliness improve in my shop.

#14 posted 12-28-2014 11:02 PM

I was off over Christmas and I got my air compressor and leaf blower out to clean out my shop – it was a beautiful day in Missouri the day after – I dumped out the clear bag as it was full of oak shavings and dust. I removed the air filter on top of the unit and took it out into the middle of my yard. I fired up my leaf blower and I was amazed on how much dust was trapped in the filter – I blew out this filter out around the middle of August. I have hauled out about 8 “3/4 full” clear bags of chips since then. I have since placed a “tag” on the filter so as to remind me when to clean the entire unit out again – It is looking like about every 4 months if I continue to work in the shop during the winter evenings.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#15 posted 01-30-2015 03:12 PM

I have and still use my Jet dust collector. (cica 1990’s, when they painted them blue) The one you purchased, was a good choice.

-- Desert_Woodworker