WIXEY WR510 Planer Digital Readout

Review by eddie posted 11-13-2014 06:11 PM 5983 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WIXEY WR510 Planer Digital Readout No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

got this several months ago and put it on my planer really haven’t planed enough to a thickness to use this mostly have been just to get a smooth surface but here of late i have had to do a lot of cherry thur the planer to a 3/4 thickness and this little digital read out sure made it a lot easier to read and stayed accurate thru all the boards planed to thickness .my old eyes ain’t what they use to be and it saved me a lot of bending down to read the gauge that came on the planer ,cant remember what i paid it was on sell i think 50 r so but well worth it ,

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3342 posts in 1970 days

#1 posted 11-13-2014 07:34 PM

Thanks for the review. How difficult was it to install? What is the calibration procedure?

#2 posted 11-13-2014 10:17 PM

Charles it wasn’t to much to it ,i had to drill a screw hole on mine , and the calibration is pretty easy as well ,i was concerned it would not stay calibrated after several board ft were run but it stay true so far .if i can install this i know you can

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#3 posted 11-14-2014 01:16 AM

I tried this on my Jet 12” combo machine, but had to return it because it only reads to 6”, but the machine planes to 8”, and you need at least 6” of clearance to switch between modes. So I got the model with the remote readout, and it has worked very well. It’s especially handy on the combo machine because you may have to shift modes in the middle of a job. Makes it very quick and easy to return to your exact planer setting.

It’s capable of metric, fractional, and decimal measures. Though I haven’t tried it, I suspect the decimal mode will give you the most precision. Trouble is, I haven’t trained myself to think in decimal measures rather than fractional.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#4 posted 11-14-2014 02:17 AM

Lots of great uses for this tool.

I have been tempted to get one for my router lift.

Thanks for taking time to review the product for us.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#5 posted 11-14-2014 06:37 PM

Brad you are welcome ,i still use the old blocks for the router but may go with this one too

runswithscissors love that name tag lol. i like the idea of a remote readout

View Oldwest's profile

Oldwest

#6 posted 11-15-2014 10:34 AM

I have three, one on my Dewalt 635 planer, the second one is
on my Delta Unisaw and the third one on my Jet 22-44 drum sander.

It’s a great tool and will save you a lot of time if you need very
precise measurements and don’t want to use calipers all the time.

-- Anyone who isn’t totally confused just doesn’t understand the situation.

#7 posted 11-15-2014 03:09 PM

thanks old west

View Roger's profile

20949 posts in 2976 days

#8 posted 11-15-2014 07:31 PM

Looks like a nice addition eddie. Thnx for your review.

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

#9 posted 11-18-2014 08:07 PM

I had one of these on my dewalt…great investment. simple to install and accurate.

#10 posted 11-23-2014 05:29 PM

i HATE estimating how many cranks i have to go up or down to match up lumber. and, of course, using calipers. just now ordered this wr510.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

#11 posted 11-30-2014 04:37 AM

eddie.. my wr510 arrived today. we have the same Rigid planer, i believe… 4551?
any installation comments before i try it out sunday?

View Al's profile

Al

#12 posted 12-02-2014 11:06 PM

I’ve been looking at this as week for my Dewalt planer. All of this positive feedback means I’m gonna have to scoop one up. Thanks for the review and comments.

-- -- I don't learn anything if you only give praise.... but that's nice too :)

#13 posted 12-26-2014 05:04 PM

finally got around to installing my Wixey WR510 on my Rigid 4551 planer wow. Worth the investment! No more guessing on how many 1/4” turn revolutions to make everything flush. Only downside is i can not ‘lock’ down my planer height handle as the metal supports from planer head assembly to the Wixey gets in the way. Might have to do some modifications down the road.