Artisan Apron in Rust Wax Canvas

Review by sepeck posted 11-10-2014 08:09 AM 4245 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Artisan Apron in Rust Wax Canvas No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just as I was finishing ripping some lumber on my table saw, standing off the side slightly, the cut piece got bumped a bit as I hit the power switch. As the blade spun down the piece slowly rotated into the blade. I knew there was no chance of me moving in time. My t-shirt got ripped and I used quite a few paper towels to clean up the surface wound (not to mention OW!) on my stomach. My wife said she’d get me an apron for my birthday (and evidently REASONS!).

Years ago I got to work in a machine shop of a pump manufacturing company and we had these denim aprons and the foreman showed me to cross the straps for comfort. Since I work an office job and until last year haven’t been doing much in the shop, using an shop apron hadn’t really crossed my mind until now.

I looked at a lot of aprons on amazon and various wood supply and review sites and while I could re-strap them the cross strap design seemed oddly lacking or fancy. I came across one the art style sales videos about Artifact Bag Company and saw some aprons on their site. Also found a post by Chris Schwartz referencing his satisfaction with their product.

I ended up with the No 325-T Artisan Apron in Rust Wax Canvas.

I’ve had it about six months now. I am 6’1” and have the ‘Regular size’ apron. The canvas tape is soft on the shoulders and balances the apron well. Usually I have a tri-square, pencils, tape measure and razor knife in the pockets along with other random stuff. So far it’s remained comfortable. It doesn’t really breathe which isn’t shocking since it’s waxed canvass so there is some sweating with it on but not a lot more then usual working in such wonderful temperatures (where I live it runs on average 90-110F in the summers). The pockets are accessible and easy to get into but not loose so I haven’t had an issue with chips getting in or things falling out. My shirts have mysteriously stopped getting a bunch of glue and splinters embedded in them as well.

While I have not ventured to repeat my event with the table saw, while re-acquainting myself with my lathe I have had a turning come off and bounce off me with no damage to my shirt or skin. It significantly helps reduce the amount of wood chips on me which reduces clean up and the times I am running the vacuum cleaner across the floor in the kitchen since if it’s wood chips wandering into the house it’s evidently my problem to clean up (now, not in a minute, now).

It’s not inexpensive at $98 (yay present), but I anticipate wearing this for many years to come. It looks nice (I like the style) and it’s well made. If this was lost or damaged I would most likely replace it with the same thing.

-- -Steven Peck, http://www.blkmtn.org

View sepeck's profile

sepeck

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#1 posted 11-11-2014 01:15 AM

Sounds like a worthy addition to the shop. I have a denim version that I’m forever forgetting to wear. I suspect you’d get even more protection from a leather one.

Out of curiosity, did the TS event happen because of lack of a riving knife? Or would that have not made any difference?

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

#2 posted 11-11-2014 01:55 AM

Hi:
Did you by chance look at Duluth Trading Co. They have a apron called BEST DAMN FIRE HOSE APRON. It crosses your back and no ties. I like it a lot. Easy to put on and take off. Yours looks great, but it ties.

View sepeck's profile

sepeck

#3 posted 11-11-2014 04:44 AM

I looked a long time at that one. It’s ~6” longer then they one I choose and it just seemed a little long for what I wanted. I looked at their other one but didn’t like the pockets.

Mine doesn’t tie. It hooks.

The foreman of the machine shop showed me the trick (all I did was push buttons on CNC machines so it’s not like I really knew what I was doing). Get a ring and a piece of wire. Tie the ring, then adjust where you want the wire. The ring is just a metal ring from the hardware store (granted you could just loop more wire) I already had and the wire is from some extra 12 gauge copper I had. A little shaping on a piece of railroad track I use as an anvil and make sure the ‘hook’ is away from your body and 90 degrees from the loop for your tape. I really think I need to make the ‘hook’ part a little longer but it suffers from the ‘it works well enough’ syndrome that I haven’t bothered to change it. So far it hasn’t come loose. (had my wife take the picture since I don’t contort that much :)

-- -Steven Peck, http://www.blkmtn.org

View Rick S.'s profile

Rick S.

#4 posted 11-16-2014 10:13 AM

HI:

- runswithscissors

Not trying to be to Critical but along with the Question above, am I to understand that you didn’t push the wood all the way through and out, after you finished making the cut?

”Just as I was finishing ripping some lumber on my table saw, standing off the side slightly, the cut piece got bumped a bit as I hit the power switch. As the blade spun down the piece slowly rotated into the blade. I knew there was no chance of me moving in time.”

Rather you left it sitting there, still beside the Spinning Blade ” you bumped it” causing the Cut Piece to move into The Spinning Blade while you were in the process of turning the saw off?

One of the First things I was taught MANY years ago was that when you are cutting on a Table Saw, ALWAYS finish the cut and get the wood off of the table. Then shut it down. A Safety Thing.

Regarding Aprons. I don’t do any “Turning”, perhaps that’s one of the reasons I don’t wear one. I tried for a while but gave up as it just seemed to Bulky and there didn’t seem to be any reason for me to wear one.

-- If it wasn't for Electricity, We'd all be Watching Television by Candlelight!

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#5 posted 11-17-2014 08:06 PM

Nice looking apron. The only downside I see are the big pockets waiting to fill with sawdust.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/