uhh, am i being punk'd

Review by soapmaker posted 11-09-2014 03:52 PM 4309 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
uhh, am i being punk'd uhh, am i being punk'd No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m sure the boo-birds will come out and say this shouldn’t be here or it isn’t fair, blah, blah but WTH?

I thought woodcraft was, from their mouth,

Who is Woodcraft?

Since 1928, woodworkers have trusted Woodcraft to deliver quality woodworking tools, supplies and service. With more than 20,000 tools and supplies, backed by our 90-Day Guarantee, hobbyists and professionals rely on Woodcraft to help them create stunning works of art. We believe that offering quality products and exceptional customer service is the key to our success. Woodworkers have known for more than 80 years that, from cut to finish, Woodcraft is the leader in Helping You Make Wood Work.

I was looking at what’s new and had pages of stone yard decorations and exercise equipment? I dislike when companies forget who their customers are.

Rant over, let the annihilation commence.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 11-09-2014 03:55 PM

Right—you have an interesting forum post that’s not a review—you already figured that out, but posted it anyway. Why not post it in a forum?

#2 posted 11-09-2014 04:08 PM

Tried going to forum but did not have picture upload option or a category that it fit into. Maybe I just couldn’t find it, open to suggestions on that. And I think a review is a piece of writing about the quality of a book, performance, or show, or in this case a website. So to credit Webster, I think it fits

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#3 posted 11-09-2014 04:12 PM

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#4 posted 11-09-2014 04:13 PM

Same with Lee Valley, where I get seasonal catalogs full of gardening and culinary gizmos.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#5 posted 11-09-2014 05:09 PM

Maybe build a mobile base from wood and it’ll justify it being there…? I don’t know. Make wooden handle covers for the Elliptical for that oh-so-fresh wood smell instead of sweaty palms? It is odd, I’ll give you that.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#6 posted 11-09-2014 07:56 PM

- poopiekat

This is nothing new for LV:

Lee Valley is a family-owned business that has been serving users of woodworking and gardening tools since 1978.

See http://www.leevalley.com/US/home/About.aspx

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#7 posted 11-09-2014 08:08 PM

@chuckV: Okay, but perhaps I should have been clearer. A brand new franchised hardware/farm supply store just opened in town, and this is what happened yesterday. I looked around, and failed to find one single metric fastener for sale. The clerk in that department just shrugged. My response? ”Well, I won’t come to this hardware store for fasteners, but if I ever need 100 three feet tall illuminated plastic snowmen, I’ll be sure to swing on by.”
I walk out of Lee Valley empty-handed sometimes, because they’re out of stock of the items they built their reputation on. I CAN get a gardener’s hat with built-in parasol, however….

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#8 posted 11-10-2014 02:20 AM

Lee Valley is such a strange mix of great items and total crap gimmicky type stuff. It’s always strange to see their planes advertised on the same page as magnetic armbands to hold screws.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View sepeck's profile

sepeck

#9 posted 11-10-2014 06:17 AM

Hardware stores and businesses have to try different things to survive and prosper. Where I grew up there was a retail hardware that had the oddest assortment of stuff. Some of it you just shook your head at, but somewhere among their customers was a buyer. They were founded in 1876 and are still in business. Since I imagine business has changed in the 100 or so years, it’s astonishing they are still in business, but despite their quirky stock, I still enjoyed going there for things.

Don’t worry, if you hold your nose up high enough you won’t be able to see anything that sully’s your view. Of course, you may miss the occasional exposure to neat, new and interesting things hiding amongst the offending idea but new and different might be harmful to your health. You should consult a professional before exposing yourself in that manner.

I will agree it’s odd that they are selling exercise and gardening equipment but really, no odder then posting a rant in the clearly labeled reviews section of Lumber Jocks.

-- -Steven Peck, http://www.blkmtn.org

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#10 posted 11-10-2014 08:32 AM

I remember years ago we were on vacation in Ohio and visited the Amish Country. Found this little what I called a Hardware store that carried all sorts of items, but none of it electric. I loved that store. They had items I remember as a kid. So there is a buyer for everything at least once.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View schuft's profile

schuft

#11 posted 11-10-2014 08:25 PM

I’d just like to point out that it’s really easy to add images to forum topics (and any other kind of post). There’s an “img” button in the toolbar when you add/edit a post, you just click on it and then select your image and upload.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#12 posted 11-10-2014 08:52 PM

Don’t worry, if you hold your nose up high enough you won’t be able to see anything that sullys your view.

- sepeck

That’s tagline worthy, right there.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

#13 posted 11-11-2014 03:08 AM

schuft- thank you, I knew I had seen that somewhere and was just overlooking it but couldn’t nail it down when I wanted to, the upload on reviews is right up there. I appreciate it.

Neat, new and interesting things hiding amongst the offerings is the very reason I was looking in the what’s new category to begin with. I just thought it poor marketing. Have any of you ever needed a can of finish or specialty hinge and instead bought an elliptical bike? Of course if I needed a piece of exercise equipment I’m sure Woodcraft.com would be one of the first places I would go to peruse the options.

Half-A borrowing , Noses up high is what it seems like from here with all the posting police. I throw myself to the mercy of the mob.

I read a lot of stuff on this site that is great and some that isn’t but short of spam or self promotion I don’t see any problem with a piece of writing about the quality of… being in the review section.

I did look in forums to try and see where it would fit, this seemed the best, had a bit of discussion, all is well.
Thanks to all for the comparative notes on experiences. Let us build stuff people.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#14 posted 11-11-2014 03:41 AM

I will agree it s odd that they are selling exercise and gardening equipment but really, no odder then posting a rant in the clearly labeled reviews section of Lumber Jocks.

- sepeck

Line of the day!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View mrg's profile

mrg

#15 posted 11-11-2014 12:05 PM

Have you ever heard of diversifying your company. They are probably seeing opportunities in other markets and instead of setting up a whole new company and website they are testing the waters.

What is the big deal if they sell other things as long as they have what your looking for. They didn’t forget who there customers are, they know there customers also buy these other products.

-- mrg