DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer Review

Review by Timber4fun posted 2096 days ago 12309 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Introduction – I have a small Porter-Cable air compressor and finish nailer. If you are like me, it doesn’t take long to get tired of hauling the air compressor, nailer, hose, nails, oil, and everything else that goes along with finish nailing, even when the compressor is small. Don’t get me wrong, I like my air compressor very much. However, it can be very inconvenient when you need to fire off just a few nails. In many similar cases, I’ll look for a workaround rather than haul out all my equipment. Considering all of that, I ran into the DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer. It immediately got my attention, but so did the price. Like most of my DIY projects, I budget in tool purchases and this gave me the opportunity to purchase this tool. I went with the straight finish nailer over the angled nailer due to the fact that I have a pneumatic finish nailer that takes straight nails. In other words, I wanted the nails to be compatible between both nailers – no sense in purchasing two different sets of nails. I decided to give it a review as a helpful resource for others. Read on.

Installation – I am not going to go into much detail about installation. If there were problems, I would go into more detail. With the DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer you load it up with nails and a charged battery and you are all set to go.

Quality – If you have read any of my other reviews, you’ll realize quickly that quality of components is very important to me. I am passionate about my tools. The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer is primarily manufactured out of hard plastic. I am not a big fan of plastic, but the majority of cordless tools these days are plastic, so it doesn’t surprise me or bother me. It has a much different feel than a regular pneumatic finish nailer, as this nailer is much larger and bulkier. If you can get past all the hard plastic and size of the nailer, the DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer is made very well. It shoots nails just the same, but without a hose and loud air compressor. The built-in light is a nice feature for working in dark corners or low-lit areas. As long as the batteries stay charged, this tool will last a long time, as the quality and design is very good. This is one of my favorite hand power tools.

Convenience — The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer is all about convenience and time savings. Just grab it and fire. There is little to no maintenance. Simply keep the batteries charged. Nails are easily added and/or changed out for different sizes. The depth gauge is simple and readily available. I have used it on hard maple, cherry, oak, and walnut. No problems. It fires quick and efficiently. Batteries appear to last a long time. I find that I don’t use my pneumatic finish nailer much anymore. The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer gives me the same production as the pneumatic nailer, but without all the hassles of hoses, air compressor, and power cords.

Safety – Given this is a cordless nailer, safety is important. The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer requires the nose of the nailer to be pressed firmly against the work piece before it will fire. This is very similar to other pneumatic nailers. I felt it was important to note that for this review.

Size – The size of the DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer is significant. It is very large and bulky for a finish nailer. For me, it wasn’t a big issue. The lack of a hose and air compressor easily offset the size issue. I have not found that the size holds me back any more than a regular pneumatic finish nailer. All that being said, I thought it was important to mention in this review.

Performance – The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer performs very well as a finish nailer. I have seen a few jams, but those were more or less due to the quality of the nails. Once I switched to Bostitch nails, the jams went away. The good news is the jams were easy and convenient to remove. Good design. Setting the nail depth is also very easy and efficient to use. Adjusting the nail depth is set by turning the gauge on the nailer. I find that I use that quite a bit. Speed is not an issue for me. I have not had to wait for the nailer. It will fire nail after nail without a lag. The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer is a very good finishing nailer and provides the same results as a regular pneumatic finish nailer.

Conclusion – I really like the DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer. If you are after convenience and time savings, this nailer is for you. This is one of my favorite hand power tools. The size of the nailer is a bit bulky, but the convenience clearly outweighs any size issues. The DeWalt DC616 18V 16 Gauge Cordless Straight Finish Nailer performs well with good speed and accuracy.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 2096 days ago

I actually like having that compressed air at hand for cleaning as well, so I prefer the ‘old fashion’ way – but then again, I’m using my compressor not as a mobile unit, so I don’t really carry it around – if that was the case, I think the cordless nailers have a great benefit to their mobility and freedom of hoses.

nice review.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

#2 posted 2095 days ago

I have an air compressor in my shop as well. It gets a lot of use. I have it located under a desk and a pile of other things. To pull that out would be a nightmare. I take this nailer with me when I am off site from my shop area. It is very convenient. I flipped a house a year or so ago. It came in handy with all the carpentry work on that house. I just thought I’d post a review as I do pull it out quite a bit, whether I am running around the house or working on a friends house. Works well for trimming out cabinets on the fly.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

#3 posted 2095 days ago

Tim,

Thanks for the review. I am a big fan of Dewalt cordless tools and this one looks pretty good. I agree with you about the noise and difficulty with dragging the hose around. It is especially challenging trying to run trim on a ladder with a pneumatic nailer. I will have to put one of these on my wish list based upon your review.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

I have the 18 volt angle nailer, & I like it a lot.

I ought it on ebay for $105. They said it was broke, that it would only fire one nail, & quit.

I took a chance on being able to repair it. Besides the battery, & charger would cost that much.

All I had to do was buy the rubbers used for the firing return mechanism. It cost me $9, & it worked great.

I use this tool every chance I get.