Terrible leveling, poor abrasion resistance

Review by Scott C. posted 11-09-2014 02:07 AM 4702 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Terrible leveling, poor abrasion resistance No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve waited to review this stuff as a I wanted to try it out for a while before making my mind up about it. I bought a couple of gallons to finish some kitchen drawers and had a good amount leftover which I used on a couple of furniture projects and a jewelry box. My main gripes are it’s leveling properties and abrasion resistance suck, both with spraying and foam brush. I can’t get a smooth finish with runs, drips and brush marks. It scratches really easily, after a month of curing. I haven’t had these problems with the General finishes enduro-var I used on my cabinet doors (great stuff! but very expensive) or their arm-r-seal I’ve used on furniture in the past. I was hoping the minwax would be an acceptable, cheap alternative to GF stuff, guess I’ll have to keep looking.

-- measure twice, cut once, swear and start over.

View Scott C.'s profile

Scott C.

158 posts in 2047 days

View emart's profile

emart

#1 posted 11-10-2014 07:43 AM

it is very hard to find good varnish without breaking the bank. I believe I have used their high gloss which was the consistency of honey and was very slow curing. I discovered the hard way that if I put more than 2 coats on per day it would not cure all the way no matter how long I waited.

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

#2 posted 11-10-2014 08:09 PM

Good Minwax products are few and far between. I don’t understand why most home centers stock this stuff.
In general I don’t like poly because of the slow cure time. I use it for exterior applications only. My go-to finish for furniture and cabinets is lacquer. I have been using Rudd satin lacquer lately, and it really lays down well.
Good luck.

View Gary Roberts's profile

Gary Roberts

#3 posted 11-11-2014 01:01 AM

Sounds as if Minwax is trying to do a poly and oil version of spar varnish. I used to really like Minwax products, oh, about 30 years ago. Now I avoid them. Shellack, Watco and wax have become my favorites. I used to use Watco when working in an architectural cabinet shop. Then Watco went out of business and was eventually bought up and returned to the market. If I need an oil based wipe on, I use Watco. But then, I mostly do restoration projects now.

-- Gary Roberts, http://toolemera.com

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#4 posted 11-11-2014 01:03 AM

Minwax has been hit and miss for me.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.