Makes Glue-ups Much Easier

Review by CharlesA posted 11-02-2014 04:22 PM 3046 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makes Glue-ups Much Easier Makes Glue-ups Much Easier Makes Glue-ups Much Easier Click the pictures to enlarge them

There are certain conveniences in life that once you get used to them, it’s very hard to go back to the way things used to be. I think Rockler was first on the scene with the silicone glue accessories, and I’m happy they did.

A few notes on these and some others out there.

The glue tray is probably the most irreplaceable. I used to squirt glue on a scrap of wood and then toss it when I was done. Now I reach for the glue tray, and I can clean it with water when I’m done or just let it dry and peel it off. Love this. The very inexpensive Woodcraft tray can be purchased separately and works just as well. I’ve also bought some silicone cupcake cups, but they are too flimsy to use regularly. The woodcraft:

Of all the silicone glue brushes I’ve used, I like the Rockler style the best. You can get an identical one from Bench Dog or Peachtree. The length of the bristles is about perfect. I’ve bought some basting brushes. They tend to have long bristles, so I cut the bristles back—they are good for spreading over a large area.

I’ve also become very fond of the glue paddles (third pic). They are very handy for applying glue into smaller, flat places. I glued up ten earring racks a couple of days ago, with each of 7 horizontal pieces per rack fitting into a 3/4” dado. The paddles worked way better than any brush. A lot less glue mess.

So why not 5 stars? Because the small glue brushes (second pic) are worthless. The heads of the small brushes fall off quite easily. I can’t use them in a normal manner without the head falling off regularly.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

View abie's profile

abie

#1 posted 11-02-2014 04:24 PM

Plastic basting brushes at the $$Dollar store work fine as well.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#2 posted 11-02-2014 05:25 PM

thanks for the review charles.i bought my glue tray earlier this year and use it often.the brush is my second and the tray my first,works well.i tried the basting brushes from the dollar store also and trimmed the bristles,they seem to work so-so.thanks for sharing..

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#3 posted 11-03-2014 12:24 AM

Thanks for the review. I am glad I did not get the smaller brushes.
I used the paddle for laminating two pieces of large plywood together recently and it really saved me a lot of time while spreading the glue very evenly over both surfaces.

Glad you are happy with most of the pieces. I agree with your take on them.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#4 posted 11-04-2014 04:30 AM

Good review. I use the tray and brushes a lot, found the small brush is just perfect for spreading glue in 1/2” and 1/4” dadoes. Mine doesn’t seem to fall off, you might try a drop of CA glue though.

-- Smitty

View ajw1978's profile

ajw1978

#5 posted 11-20-2014 07:54 AM

I’ve been going back and forth on trying to justify buying this for the last few months. This seals it; going to swing by Rockler tomorrow.

-- May the good Lord help me if I ever actually have a shop, garage or basement.