One of my best purchases ever

Review by CharlesA posted 10-29-2014 02:12 AM 5014 views 1 time favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One of my best purchases ever One of my best purchases ever No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Back in July Paxorion posted a review of the Preppin’ Weapon. I was suspicious that any sanding block could be worth $21.95, but he gave it such high praise, and I was frustrated enough with what I was working with, that I thought I’d give it a try.

This thing is great. I even sometimes reach for it when I might have grabbed my ROS in the past. I like the solid way it holds the sandpaper, the comfortable grip. the very even way it sands. I even waste less sandpaper because I’m able to tear off the precise size of the sheets and use them until their worn out.

#1 posted 10-29-2014 03:13 AM

Thanks for the review. Do you cut strips from full sized sand paper, or do they come pre-cut?
Thanks

#2 posted 10-29-2014 04:14 AM

I just fold over a strip that fits the sander from a full size piece of sandpaper and then tear it off.

View emart's profile

emart

#3 posted 10-29-2014 04:16 AM

typically people just cut them from larger sheets. you can cut them to size on a shop jig that cuts the sheets using a hacksaw blade

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

1043 posts in 2074 days

#4 posted 10-29-2014 10:45 AM

NO! You MUST use one of these:

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

#5 posted 10-29-2014 01:34 PM

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#6 posted 10-29-2014 01:34 PM

NO! You MUST use one of these:

- Picklehead

I “saw” this post coming!

Thanks for the review Charles!

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

#7 posted 10-29-2014 01:37 PM

- paxorion

It took me 6 days to post a thanks in a reply to your review, but that includes the time it took to order it and receive it. Thanks again.

#8 posted 10-29-2014 02:06 PM

- paxorion

- CharlesA

When I bought mine, it took 10 seconds to think “why didn’t I do this sooner!” But I think it took me 6 days to get to using it?

#9 posted 10-29-2014 02:14 PM

I think the price for such a simple tool makes it seem like a luxury item, almost. But it’s worth it. I’m making a bunch of earring racks for Christmas gifts. In the past, I would have been tempted to use the ROS, a task for which it is completely unsuited. But now I just use the Preppin’ Weapon (I really don’t like the cutesy name) and all is good.

I have to admit I’m tempted, as some have done, to buy a couple more for different grits, but so far spending another $45 to $70 keeps me at one.

View RCT's profile

RCT

#10 posted 10-29-2014 02:28 PM

So I google ROS and git Robot Operating System (ROS) hmmmm..

-- "Ya but what does he know anyhow?"

#11 posted 10-29-2014 03:19 PM

Okay . . . if I had a robot doing my sanding, I don’t think I’d need the Preppin’ Weapon.

ROS, in case that is confusing, is random orbital sander.

#12 posted 10-30-2014 03:42 AM

Okay . . . if I had a robot doing my sanding, I don t think I d need the Preppin Weapon.

ROS, in case that is confusing, is random orbital sander.

Both are valid…http://www.acronymfinder.com/ROS.html

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#13 posted 10-30-2014 07:05 AM

I think the price for such a simple tool makes it seem like a luxury item, almost. But it s worth it. I m making a bunch of earring racks for Christmas gifts. In the past, I would have been tempted to use the ROS, a task for which it is completely unsuited. But now I just use the Preppin Weapon (I really don t like the cutesy name) and all is good.

I have to admit I m tempted, as some have done, to buy a couple more for different grits, but so far spending another $45 to $70 keeps me at one.

- CharlesA

Having multiples is worth it. I’ve got one of each color, “normal” grit marked on them with a Sharpie, loaded with sandpaper. I just take ‘em out of the corral, use it and put it back, grab the next one if needed, use it, repeat. This is my corral.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View Arcola60's profile

Arcola60

#14 posted 10-31-2014 02:21 PM

I bought two of them. Well worth it. It feels like part of your body.

View PCM's profile

PCM

#15 posted 11-02-2014 02:50 AM

I have been using a product called the Sand Devil. It uses 3×21” belts instead of torn sand paper. The belts are easily reusable, extremely long lasting and economical. It’s very comfortable to hold and it’s configuration allows it to get into small spaces easily, yet it is also great for sanding large flat surfaces too. You can off set the belt and easily and effectively sand inside corners ( see the video on you tube). I bought mine a few years ago from peach tree woodworking. It has been reviewed on this forum in the past and received 5 stars which I completely agree with.