Primary Bevel Grinding

Review by OSU55 posted 10-27-2014 10:03 PM 6389 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Primary Bevel Grinding Primary Bevel Grinding Primary Bevel Grinding Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a 10” wet grinder (not Tormek) that I use all of the listed Tormek jigs on. I sharpen both turning tools and plane blades. The wet grinder does ok with reshaping HSS turning tools, but is slow and the wheel gets furrowed. The wet grinder does ok with O1 plane blades, and does fine with thin OEM Stanley blades. But, when it comes to thick A2 or HSS plane blades, it can take forever to regrind a primary bevel.

In hopes of speeding things up a purchased the Tormek BGM-100 bench grinder tool rest. I already had all of the other jigs. I included all of them in this review to say they do work with a bench grinder the same way they work with a wet grinder (which is great). I used a 6” grinder with plain aluminum oxide wheels I’ve had for years but not using. The mounting plates for the tool rest are not exactly in the position the Tormek directions give. I wanted to be able to use the TT-50 diamond truing tool, so I just found a position that worked with my grinder. After getting the BGM-100 bolted in place, I used the TT-50 to true the wheel to the rest. It did not appear to cause any adverse wear or damage to the diamond. I did take very light passes with it, and use a respirator, as AL oxide dust goes everywhere.

The set up works like a charm. Using light pressure and dipping the tool in water every 2-4 passes to keep it cool, time to reshape turning tools or grind thick plane irons is cut by 10x or more. All of the Tormek tools/jigs work the same as they do with the wet grinder. I still use the wet grinder for turning tool sharpening/resharpening, and diamond stones/lapping film for plane blades, but now I can remove lots of material quickly, and accurately, with this set up. I know there are lots of folks that freehand a primary bevel on a grinder or belt sander, but I know I’m not that good, even with a surface to provide the angle – I’d gouge and burn the tool in a heartbeat. With this set up I don’t have to be concerned about that.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1702 posts in 2017 days

View Jeff82780's profile

Jeff82780

#1 posted 10-29-2014 12:58 AM

Good review. I also have have a bgm-100 and a the straight edge jig. However for some reason my plane blades never come out square? So frustrating. Maybe I’ll hive the trying tool a try.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1702 posts in 2017 days

#2 posted 10-29-2014 11:20 AM

Even with the wheel squared and using the square edge jig, I have to adjust the blade some side to side and hit the high spots across the bevel to get a square, even grind.

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#3 posted 11-23-2014 02:40 AM

Cowboy:
I do not know your name but being an OSU fan makes you a Cowboy. It is OK because Cowboys are good guys. Anyway, I also use the Tormek tools on my grinder. I had previously had the Wolverine Jig. The Wolverine system was OK but I love the Tormek system on a grinder. Before, I bought the bench grinder attachments was I considering buying the Tormek wet grinder but the bench system works so well on my lathe tools I think I would be better served upgrading my bench grinder to CBN wheels and sticking with the Tormek bench grinder attachments. However, I am too cheep to buy the CBN wheels until my old grinder wheels are used up.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker