Shelix cutterhead for DW735

Review by johnstoneb posted 10-27-2014 12:24 AM 7722 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shelix cutterhead for DW735 Shelix cutterhead for DW735 Shelix cutterhead for DW735 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a DW735 planer about a year and a half ago. The knives were starting to get some nicks in them and time rotate then. I decided after talking with somebody at the local woodworking club that had changed to a Shelix cutterhead to do the same. I ordered the cutterhead direct from Byrd. Price was only about $10 more than Amazon and freight was less. so price worked out about the same.

The cutterhead was well packed came with four extra cutters , the tool to change the cutters and an instruction sheet on how to change cutters and hints on changes in some planers. The installation instructions are available for download on Byrd’s site the address is given in the instruction sheet. I would recommend that you print these off before starting to change the head out. They are well written and good pictures. The torx wrench supplied with the planer takes most of the bolts out but you will need 2 different metric allen wrenchs for the gear box and the feed roll drive chain on the gear box side.

It is not too hard to change just take your time and follow the pictures and instructions. It took me about 3 hours but I stopped for lunch. The only problem I had on the gear box end of the cutterhead is a spring loaded clip with two small ears that the instruction have you take out. When I tried to put it back in the new cutterhead shaft was larger in diameter and the clip wouldn’t fit over the shaft. I started to leave it out then thought it might serve as a guard to protect the bearing seal on that end. I ground the ears off until it fit over the shaft.

Once everything was back together. Started things up. The planer is noticeably quieter. You still need ear protection because the exhaust fan is loud. When feeding a piece of walnut through there is almost no noticeable increase in sound from the cutterhead.

I am extremely happy with the change over and would recommend this upgrade to anyone thinking about changing the cutterhead out.

I just added a picture of a knot and figured wood in cherry that I ran through the shelix head. 1/16” cut on low speed. There was some tear out on the original wood from the mill after running it through my planer there is absolutely no tearout at all. Smooth as a baby’s bottom,
All the other figured wood maple, Walnut and chechen Has come out the same way.

View Bob Kassmeyer's profile

Bob Kassmeyer

#1 posted 10-27-2014 01:53 AM

I have been having thoughts of doing this change out. I did one on my jointer and had to buy bearings is the case with this change over also. How long have you had the cutter head now. I have had mine on my jointer now for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it. I had to rotate one bit out because of a chip but it took longer to find the chip then to rotate it.

-- Bob Kassmeyer, Nebraska

#2 posted 10-27-2014 03:03 AM

I just put it in today. It came with bearings installed.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#3 posted 10-28-2014 01:55 AM

Thanks for the review. I recently acquired a 735 and am wrestling with swapping the knives out for the Byrd. The 735 I got is brand new. Would you recommend swapping for the Byrd now or wait until the knives need sharpening/replacement?

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

#4 posted 10-28-2014 10:34 AM

I think I would probably wait and see how it does. With the two speed the straight blade do a good job. The Shelix does leave it silky smooth and is quieter. The fan is still the real noise producer.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#5 posted 10-28-2014 12:33 PM

Hey Bruce, nice review.
I put one of these in my jointer and just love the results. I have a 735 and have been resisting the change. I think you may have convinced me. Thanks.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#6 posted 10-28-2014 03:50 PM

Thanks for the review. Keep up posted on how the Shelix performs on figured wood and tricky grain.

View JHIM's profile

JHIM

124 posts in 1944 days

#7 posted 10-29-2014 04:27 PM

bob you are saying you haven’t rotated the cutters in two years?!? that’s awesome

-- "the hard jobs will take a while..the impossible will take a bit longer"

View playingwithmywood's profile (online now)

playingwithmywood

#8 posted 11-01-2014 04:54 AM

I put one in mine also it is a dream and honestly Dewalt should just put byrds in at the factory

I so anyone like me that does not have the power to run a 220 volt planer then I think the 735 with this upgrade end up being the best solution on the market for a 110 volt planer

View Bob Kassmeyer's profile

Bob Kassmeyer

#9 posted 11-05-2014 03:06 AM

JHIM no I haven’t rotated the cutters yet. I had just the one chipped and am still getting a great finish on every thing that goes through it.

-- Bob Kassmeyer, Nebraska

View philphoto's profile

philphoto

#10 posted 11-25-2014 10:42 PM

I did the same exact swap out in 2012. I could not have been happier. The noise level dropped—in my opinion —at least half. The quality is considerably better by almost any sort of measure. I have professional sharpening equipment so the old blades were not an issue, but the value of using the planer the old beater way or the Shellix cutter way is no comparison. The head was not cheap, but I think worth it. I use the planner most weeks at least a couple hours and some times lots of hours. Maple, white oak, black walnut, cedar, fir, and pine are about all that I have planed at this point but I am at the point where I look forward to using the planer not dreading it.

I to have yet to turn a single head. The heads stay sharp a long time.

Phil Bogle, Oregon