10 years and still going

Review by Canadianteacher posted 10-25-2014 03:06 PM 5175 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
10 years and still going No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a shop teacher at a middle school in Abbotsford BC. We purchased 8 of these Dewalt scroll saws 10 years ago and have have only had to replace 1 of them (the motor went after 9 years). One more saw is making some funny sounds in its upper arm and will most likely be done soon (I will take the motor and place it in my other saw). The saws get used by grade 6-8 students cutting from 3/4” alder to 1 and 3/4” basswood. I must say that my students are not easy on the saws and I have replaced more than a few fuses (from the saws being overloaded), but for the most part they just keep working well. I have used some cheaper saws in schools and they have neede to be replaced every year because the fall apart. I know these saws come with a nice price tag but I will not go to another saw for daily use.

PS. I did replace my one saw last year (Amazon.ca had a special on this saw in version 2 for $425 with free shipping). The version 2 saws seem to be built well but they don’t run as fast as the original ones do. I hope they last as long.

#1 posted 10-25-2014 03:17 PM

Welcome to Ljs
You must have good size classes to need 8 scroll saws. Thank you for your review.

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

#2 posted 10-25-2014 07:53 PM

We actually have a total of ten dewalts now (one broken). My classes usually are between 28-30 students.

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#3 posted 10-25-2014 07:54 PM

a1Jim, you got to keep em busy. If don’t have something for them to do, they will find something to do and the teacher will not like it. From the voice of a shop teacher with 34 years experience.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

#4 posted 10-25-2014 08:05 PM

Pimzedd what is the saying about idle hands:)

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

#5 posted 10-26-2014 11:58 AM

The Click-N-Lock Lift Arms on all of these machines are available at

View BigFoot Products Canada's profile

#6 posted 10-26-2014 04:02 PM

Welcome to LumberJocks and thanks for the review on our Click-N-Lock Lift Arms.

View ThorinOakenshield's profile

ThorinOakenshield

#7 posted 10-27-2014 12:52 PM

The GRC (guaranteed repair cost) for these (Type 1 or 2) is $259.99 which is only ~$14 more than the motor itself ($236.26) on DeWalt ServiceNet (http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=DW788&selectedType=21612)

It maybe more economical just to send it in and have them overhaul it rather than pay for a new one. Then you can keep the type 1 you like better. :)

-- -Thorin Oakenshield, King Under the Mountain

#8 posted 10-27-2014 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info TjorinOakenshield I never knew that they had this Guarantee in place. I will have to look into it. As far as the new machines and running slower, I just like to be able to cut a bit faster through really thick wood.

#9 posted 10-27-2014 03:27 PM

You are welcome for the review David. The Click-n-Lock has really helped my students out with their inside cuts.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#10 posted 10-27-2014 05:53 PM

The motor went out on my DW788 Type 1 and being the second owner the DeWalt GRC wasn’t available to me. It gave me 5 years of good service before it went out. In need of another scroll saw quickly and local, I found a sale on a new Excaliber saw and took that one.

Real point I want to make is that upon disassemble of the DW788 I found that the bushings in the cast aluminum case were egg shaped. After looking at the owners manual online it showed where periodic oiling was supposed to be done by removing some rubber plugs. Not having done the oiling was probably my reason for wear. Might want to check that out for the saw with “funny sounds”. Bushings are available as service parts.

Steve.

#11 posted 10-28-2014 02:39 AM

Thanks for the info SteveMI, I will look into that as well.

View ThorinOakenshield's profile

ThorinOakenshield

#12 posted 10-28-2014 07:14 PM

You’re welcome CanadianTeacher. However, it doesn’t excuse the fact that you haven’t posted any of the projects you and/or your students have completed. ;)

-- -Thorin Oakenshield, King Under the Mountain