Not Bad

Review by Purrmaster posted 10-24-2014 12:59 PM 3764 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not Bad No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My Home Depot has recently changed their sandpaper line from Norton to 3M. Previously they had Norton 3X papers. Now there is this stuff. I haven’t seen this particular “model” of sandpaper before and I think it’s exclusive to Home Depot.

These papers are stearated and has adhesive on the backing paper.

I’ve used the following grits of it: 60, 80, 100, 150, 220.

My overall impression is: Pretty good.

My main basis for comparison would be Norton 3X papers and 3M’s other stearated papers (Sandblaster and Sandblaster Advanced). The “Precision Pro” papers perform on par with the Norton 3X papers. The lower grits of this 3M stuff tends to shit grit a bit more than 3X. I’d say the 3X paper stay sharp a little bit longer than these. If you weren’t directly comparing you might not notice the difference.

I’ve always found it easier to tell visually if Norton 3X paper is worn. The white grit on a colored background makes it easier to see when the paper has lost too much grit from use. Because of the uniform dark red color it’s very hard to tell if this stuff is worn out by looking at it.

All the papers in this line are the same color. This can be mildly annoying if you have several grits set into several sanding blocks. I often have to look at the underside of the paper to check the grit. Other papers are often color coded by grit (including 3M’s other papers).

The sticky baking is either a blessing or a curse depending on your application. I like it very much because it makes it easier to fold a piece of paper over and sand with it. It’s been brought to my attention that it’s not so great if you put the sandpaper into a power sander. The heat from the power sander can make it stick nastily to the tool.

The sandpaper I’ve found that lasts the longest is 3M’s “Sandblaster Advanced.” Also, their lower grit paper seems to shed grit less than others. However, the longevity difference is marginal. This paper also has a sticky back. I believe it is exclusive to Lowe’s.

The bottom line is that if you’re happy with Norton 3X or other stearated 3M paper there’s no particular reason to switch. It might be worth picking up an assortment pack of this stuff when you hit Home Depot next, just to try it out.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

915 posts in 1996 days

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 10-24-2014 06:24 PM

I’ve been using the 3M paper for some time now and I’ve had great luck with it. It cuts quickly, resists loading up, and lasts a long time.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View Rick_M's profile (online now)

Rick_M

#2 posted 10-25-2014 04:34 PM

Good to know. It’s a shame they are switching back to 3M, which makes a decent sandpaper but the Norton stuff is tops and I’m never going back.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

915 posts in 1996 days

#3 posted 10-26-2014 08:58 AM

The thing about 3M is that they make a zillion different sandpapers. The stuff I find at my local Ace Hardware they called “Sandblaster.” I think it’s also known in some circles as FreCut and the higher grits as 3M gold. The lower grits are green, the mid grade grits are purple, and the higher grits are yellow/gold.

Then Lowe’s has “Sandblaster Advanced” or Pro or something. It is different from the stuff I get at Ace. The backing paper is a little thicker and the adhesive on the back is a bit stronger. I think it also lasts a little longer than the “Sandblaster” stuff as described above. 60 grit is orangeish brown, 80 grit is kind of puke green, and the higher grits are yellow/gold.

Then there’s plain old 3M sandpaper. It’s a standard aluminum oxide paper with no stearate and I think it’s closed coat. It doesn’t have a fancy name attached to it and has the thinnest backing paper. It wears out pretty darn fast. That stuff is usually a uniform light brown/tan color with thin backing paper.

This stuff at Home Depot the review described is new. Or at least the name is new. I suspect it’s actually Sandblster/FreCut/whatever with a red color and a different name.

I think Norton has a lot of different product lines as well but the only ones I’ve seen at retail stores (including Woodcraft and Rockler) are Norton 3X and their garnet sandpapers. The Work Sharp supplied discs for 400 and 1,000 are some variety of Norton paper.

Honestly, it’s kind of a chore to keep track of all the different kinds of sandpaper.

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#4 posted 11-13-2014 08:52 AM

One of the magazines did a head to head test of several brands and klingspor came up top when you factor cost and amount of wood removal.

Magazine Review

View smessick's profile

smessick

1 post in 2037 days

#5 posted 01-09-2016 06:13 PM

FYI, I use a Sharpy to write the grit of sandpaper in opposite corners of sheets so I can see it in it’s storage space and also when mounted on a Preppin Weapon, for instance. I write the grit in the center of sanding discs where it stays a long time. Also on the back of hand sanding sheets which when cut don’t show the grit.

Again, FYI