Green and Yellow Sucker

Review by dmann posted 2231 days ago 6364 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Green and Yellow Sucker No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I had some encounters with turning and sanding toxic woods earlier this year I’ve been saving up for a dust collector. I turn wood on a Jet 1220 and don’t generate a ton of sawdust or sanding dust but enough to be a nuisance. The shop vac can’t keep up and is quiet noisy.

I have experience with some 1.5hp Jet and Delta models but they were very bigger and noisier than I was looking for. Amazon currently has Delta AP-400’s on sale for $138 shipped but I would be spending money upgrading to 1 micron bags or a canister in pretty short order.

I have a Woodworkers Supply ( http://woodworker.com ) location about 30 miles from my workplace. They carry many popular brands in addition to their own green and yellow Woodtek brand. Noise is a big issue for me since I am in a subdivision and the houses are only 15 feet apart. I called ahead to the showroom and talked to a helpful gentleman (G.W.) and he said he had a few dust collectors on display and would be happy to hook them up so I could get an idea of the noise and suction power.

After trying out a Delta and the WoodTek I decided to purchase the WoodTek 961-360 1hp dust collector. G.W. invited me back into the warehouse while he collected my items. I was on a strict budget and only I only collected a ‘few’ extras while wandering around the warehouse.

The instructions were clear and concise. I put the unit together in about 20 minutes and had 1 extra part. Looks like they recently added a fan that mounts to the bottom shaft of the motor. I backtracked and installed the fan unit. Kind of a pain that it wasn’t mentioned in the instruction manual, but I am glad to have the extra airflow over the motor.

This dust collector is a good size for my shop and has enough power for the machines I use (lathe and band saw).

Pros:
Small Size (58” high x 28” wide x 14” deep)
2 Felt 1 Micron Bags (14” x 23”)
Quieter than 1.5hp and 2hp models
Easy to move from machine to machine (includes 4 casters)

Cons:
Not enough power for permanent installation
Not enough power for multiple machines at once

-- David / Durham, NC

View TomK 's profile

TomK

Nice review. Noise is an important consideration for me also.

-- If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free! PJ O'Rourke

This is a nice review. I am in the market for a dust collector. I will have to consider one of these based based on your revew.

Thanks for the post.

I have a small Reliant brand DC (Got it from WOODWORKERS WAREHOUSE before they went out of business )that I move around to different machines and it is very quiet as opposed to my JET DC which is twice the size , but also has much more suction and also has the pleated filter instead of the cloth bag system…..I tend to use the small one for my lathes and drum sanders and also my drill press . I also replaced the original cloth bags on the Reliant with a bottom plastic bag and a top bag from THE WOODWORKERS CHOICE which keeps a lot more of the dust inside the collector than the stock bags did . It seems to be more felt like than cloth but I don’t know for sure what they call it , it does a great job though : ) I also had the option of 110 or 220 volt on the Reliant and it seems to run a lot smoother on 220v…..waiting for my electrician to show up to switch the wiring on my JET too : ) have a great day

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

Nice review. I don’t hear much about WoodTek equipment. Do you remember how much you paid? With limited shop space, the small size can be a big factor as well.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

dmann

I believe the DC is in the $250-$270 range. I swear I only paid $250 but the website currently lists it as $269. If I come across my receipt I will update the review with the exact cost.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

I have the Delta 50-760 it is a 1.5 horsepower unit that is very very loud. With the noise issue, that is one thing that a 1hp would be alot better for. The 1.5 horse and 2 horses are loud.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thanks for the review! i’m in the market for a dust collector and haven’t even given a thought to woodtek yet. i will have to check out their product line now!

View CraftsmanCollective's profile

CraftsmanCollective

Im using a Grizzley 1.5 Hp and really like it, pretty quiet, and reasonably enough power as long as it is close to the machine. It has a pleated filter. I’d really like the manufactures to include dB ratings in thier specifications as sound is of considerable concern to me as well..

-- Robby Myer, Walnut Creek, CA

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

I don’t hear too much about Woodtek products but this sounds like a very good collector. Noise is important because I also live in a subdivision with houses close together and plus I also have a DC. It is a 1.5 hp DC and suprisingly it is very quiet. Anyway great review.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

Would you recommend this for using with planer/table saw/ 14” bandsaw/ router table or is the CFM too low? I’m looking to purchase a DC as I currently just have a shop vac which doesn’t have enough CFM and is way too loud for its weak power.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

dmann

Yeah, shop vacs get clogged easily too.

This DC is good for 1 piece of equipment at a time. Plan on rolling the DC next to the machine you are working on so there isn’t a real long tubing run for the DC to deal with. Works fine for me because I am just a hobbyist and my shop isn’t that large anyway.

If you are planning to do more than hobby work or need a fancy DC setup with permanent tubing runs, spend the money for something with more power.

There are some books out there on workshop and DC system design, they may have more info about recommended CFM to efficiently collect dust for each type of machine.

112018 posts in 2211 days