Summit HVLP - Budget Spraying

Review by Pezking7p posted 10-22-2014 02:13 AM 4341 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Summit HVLP - Budget Spraying No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this HVLP system last year during a Black Friday special from peachtree woodworking for the extremely low price of something like $70. Regular retail appears to be $120, so please keep this in mind as you read my review.

The package comes with a single stage 400W turbine, about 8’ of hose, a spray gun with a plastic siphon cup, and a spare needle and a spare air filter. Everything was in great shape out of the box, just needed to clean the grease off the internals.

The gun itself has only an adjustment to control how much fluid is released, no fan control. The spray pattern can be adjusted from horizontal to vertical by rotating the air cap. The down tube into the siphon cup can be rotated to allow you to spray downwards or upwards, but I found that as you tighten the cup into the gun, the seal at the top of the cup has a tendency to rotate the siphon tube out of position if you’re not careful. Not a big deal but not ideal either.

I found as the gun sits for too long without spraying, or if the gun is inverted or sits on it’s side, it will leak into the upper part of the gun and clog the air caps or drip/spit.

This is my first hvlp gun of any kind, so I have nothing to compare to, but atomization seems like it could be better. Presumably a more powerful turbine would make a big difference.

However, the first time I’ve ever sprayed was this weekend, with this gun, and I was able to get great results spraying tinted lacquer on my cabinets. If you’re careful handling the gun, and keep it clean, it performs without issue. If you’re wanting to get your feet wet in spraying but aren’t sure it’s for you, or if you have minimal cash to spend, this is the gun for you. For the money, you can’t beat this gun.

#1 posted 10-22-2014 02:51 AM

View terryR's profile

terryR

#2 posted 10-22-2014 01:39 PM

Thanks for the review, Dan!
I just became interested in one of these 2days ago…glad to read a review on an affordable option…Thanks.

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

#3 posted 10-22-2014 03:48 PM

Dan, thanks for the review. Sounds like you got a deal. Do you think it is worth $120? That wasnt clear to me.

#4 posted 10-22-2014 06:01 PM

Charles, I think for $70 it’s a no-brainer.

For $120, I think you need to decide if it’s worth an extra $180 (Earlex 5500) to get a little step up in quality. If you’re going to be spraying a lot, I would think it would be worth it. The next step up will have more metal parts, and slightly more power to help atomization, but I don’t think you’ll see a big jump in performance and spray quality until you spend in the $500-$600 range. That’s just my gut feel, having read a lot about the various equipment available, but not used anything except this gun.

As I say, it’s the best get-your-feet-wet option, or the best option if you have to spend as little as possible. In my opinion, if you’re willing to spend $300-$500 on a spray gun, you’re probably not going to lose any sleep if you spend $120 up front to see if spraying is for you.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#5 posted 10-22-2014 09:31 PM

Harbor Freight has a similar one, which I used to spray kitchen cabinets (semi-gloss acrylic). Have had no problems with leaving the acrylic in the gun while not using. Similar pricing, and often on sale.

#6 posted 10-22-2014 09:48 PM

What is the advantage of using a dedicated electric turbine to using a standard air compressor?

#7 posted 10-23-2014 02:24 AM

Charles, the advantage is you don’t need to buy a big compressor. And they are portable. Also, compressor setups can be problematic with moisture in the air and the sizes of your airlines can restrict flow. Not a huge deal, but not plug and play, either.

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#8 posted 10-23-2014 01:29 PM

CharlesA, a compressor will produce about 40% overspray while a turbine produces 10% or less. Moisture and contaminates in the a/c line which must be removed before it gets to the gun vs. warn dry clean air from the turbine. Smaller footprint with motor meant to run all day. If your compressor is undersized you could burn it up in a matter of one busy day of spraying.

For $120 you should take a look at this – http://www.lowes.com/pd_570350-97-HV2901P_0__?productId=50157086&Ntt=earlex&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dearlex&facetInfo= – add a 1.5mm needle for $25 and you’ve got a great HVLP setup for painting and finishing. I’ve sprayed with the Summit and the 2901 blows it away.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "Finished"!

#9 posted 10-23-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks for commenting, Earlex. I have to say, the 2901 looks great. Does the “detail spraying” setting make a small round spray pattern? That is one thing I really wish I could have had while finishing my cabinets.

I’m curious, why does the higher-end unit (the 5500) have a smaller motor than the 2901? Is it just not critical for that product level? Other features are more important?

View terryR's profile

terryR

#10 posted 10-23-2014 02:00 PM

thanks for answering air compressor questions, guys! Now, I want that Lowe’s model to get my feet wet so to speak. bummer I just spent my b-day money on another LN plane…rabbet block…much prettier than anything at Lowe’s. LOL

will save the HVLP sprayer for holiday wish list…cannot thanks you guys enough for the tips!

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

#11 posted 10-23-2014 02:12 PM

Another question: for those of you with smaller shops and no dedicated spraying space, what do you do for spraying? How do you prep your space?

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#12 posted 10-23-2014 03:09 PM

Pezking7P, Yes it has three patterns, vertical fan, horizontal fan and detail. The 2901 has a better turbine motor because it’s the latest technology. The 5500 has been out for about 5 yrs., the 2901 about 5 months. This market is exploding so watch for the newest technology, our 6000 series Spray Ports even have “thin-blade” turbine fans which reduce the drag and are therefore more efficient.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "Finished"!

#13 posted 10-23-2014 04:33 PM