One of the best ideas

Review by ic3ss posted 10-21-2014 02:19 AM 3889 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One of the best ideas One of the best ideas One of the best ideas Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been looking at these for about a year and finally pulled the trigger last week. I had a kickback incident that smashed a couple of fingers last year and since then I’ve had my mind on ways to make my old Unisaw safer. This has got to be one of the best safety devices for the woodshop in many years. What it does is so basic its a wonder it has only recently been made commercially.

It’s an expensive device to be sure, at $80. For me it took a few smashed fingers to get my attention to see that I needed to change the way I used my Unisaw. Its an old saw before the days of riving knives, any blade guard was long gone before I bought it, so I was left with push sticks, feather boards, and intent concentration as I passed my hands closer to the blade than any of us are comfortable with to get my wood cut. For me, $80 was cheap insurance.

The push block is made in Ohio out of a solid, hard plastic. It feels very sturdy and solid. The grip pad really does hold the work very well, although as it says in the instructions, sawdust will make it slide so it does need to be cleaned periodically with alcohol. There are a lot of knobs to adjust on this thing, its really made to be fully configurable to almost any cutting operation and if you can just take an extra minute to make the adjustments the system will work well for you.

I found the box very well packaged. There’s an instruction manual thats one of the best I’ve seen. I just recently bought an Incra miter gauge and it is every bit as good. Full color illustrations including a parts list for assembly. Oh yeah, you have to put it together. Its not hard, just takes about five minutes.

Well, I won’t boar you with how to use it, that is covered exceptionally well in the DVD that comes with it. All I can say is that I shouldn’t have waited a year to buy this, I should have driven straight to Rockler with my bandaged hand. I can tell you that if you do buy the grr-ripper, after using it for a while you’ll never put your hands in danger again. There is also a side benefit to using the grr-ripper. When making a cut, usually with thin pieces, the keeper piece between the blade and the fence will drift into the blade. While not necessarily kicking back, it will cut a gouge out of the side. The grr-ripper when used properly, holds both the keeper and the cutoff pieces as they feed out of the saw so its a straighter and cleaner cut every time.

This is one of the best ideas, and the execution of the design is very worthy of its Made In USA label. Buy one, or two, you won’t regret it.

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

2794 posts in 2082 days

#1 posted 10-21-2014 02:27 AM

I just bought one a couple of months ago and agree with what you have said. I should have bought one sooner.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

#2 posted 10-21-2014 08:13 AM

I bought one a while ago, while I like it i tend to use my other push-sticks more. I need to make more of an effort to use it. Nice review.

View jim65's profile

jim65

#3 posted 10-21-2014 10:22 AM

you should get a splitter on the back of that blade,it helps a lot!

-- Jim, Marostica Italy

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 10-21-2014 01:38 PM

Mj splitter pro is a nice companion to the grr-ripper.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 10-21-2014 01:46 PM

It takes a little bit to get used to running your hand right over the blade doesn’t it?

But it’s a great system and really gives excellent control to the work piece.

Especially good for old saws that don’t have good blade guard options.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View retfr8flyr's profile

retfr8flyr

#6 posted 10-23-2014 03:03 AM

I also love my Grr-Ripper’s, I have 2 of them. I use them constantly and feel very safe and in control, especially with smaller cuts. I think they are great and they also work very well on my Jointer/Planer machine and I even use it sometimes on my router table.

-- Earl

View ElChe's profile

ElChe

#7 posted 11-12-2014 03:30 AM

My only slight ding on the grrrippers is that the rubber soles get fouled up and a bit slippery. I don’t use them to their full capabilities but on thin rips they are amazing and make a dangerous cut much safer. Unless you have a saw stop and then you can use a hotdog as a pushstick. ;)

-- Tom - Measure twice cut once. Then measure again. Curse. Fudge.

View twong789's profile

twong789

#8 posted 02-08-2015 05:33 AM

Great product, well thought out. I bought one to try out. Loved it! Bought a second one for times when I have to feed longer boards. A little expensive, but your fingers will thank you!

Takes a bit of time getting used to having your hands go over the blade, but with the Grr-Ripper, you have more control of your piece. Also, with the Grr-Ripper, I find that I can smoothly push my wood through in one continuous motion, eliminating burn marks from the saw blade.

I use the Grr-Ripper on the jointer, with the trailing hook, to provide extra security from slippage.

View Blake Haskins 's profile

Blake Haskins

#9 posted 03-17-2015 09:35 PM

We’ve only had ours a short time and have already used it to make a number of cuts that would have been difficult to make otherwise (like getting straight edges on a piece of thin triangular shaped maple by using the base plate against the fence). Initially bought it for the safety factor but I think we are getting better cuts, less burn, etc.. It’s a little bit of pain changing all the plates but the little o-rings on the threads do at least keep the various parts together when not in use. I would recommend getting two as even on relatively short pieces having two has been a plus.

-- make sure you subscribe to my channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRuWi7P7eIcNOckoxBI-ZRA