Moffatt Task Lamp for Laguna 1412

Review by smitty22 posted 10-17-2014 04:15 AM 3599 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Moffatt Task Lamp for Laguna 1412 Moffatt Task Lamp for Laguna 1412 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Moffatt 95050 Task Lamp, Incandescent/Halogen Lamp Type, Direct Mount Base Type, 24” Arm Length, 100 Watts, 1690 Raw Lumens. About $52 on Amazon.

Here’s the Moffat task light mounted on the Laguna 1412 bandsaw, really works well. It’s very heavy duty, has a nice toggle on/off switch, takes a standard base 110v bulb, and made in USA. I used a Phillips 60-watt halogen flood bulb, nice ‘warm’ light which is kind to my old eyes! Best of all, it’s almost infinitely positionable to where you need the light, unlike the Laguna light kit which is fixed and as a result light is somewhat blocked when the blade guide is in lowered positions.

Might have given this a 4 1/2 star rating due to the plastic shade. It seems sturdy and looks like it could be easily replaced if needed. In any case, the lamp does exactly what I needed.

The Moffatt mounts with two 1/4-20 hex sockethead machine screws and lock nuts (furnished). Had to drill a hole in my new 1412 and enlarge one of the existing holes, but didn’t mind a bit after using the light!

Hope this might help someone ‘see the light’!

-- Smitty

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#1 posted 10-17-2014 01:09 PM

Very nice! I too am having a problem with the Laguna Lamp getting the light focused where I NEED it most. But my light came with the purchase, so I put up with it. I leave it in the out position,and my head reminds me to put it back against the frame. Thanks for the idea.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#2 posted 10-17-2014 04:01 PM

Just curious why you went with a dedicated light vs. the mobile\magnetic base one?

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#3 posted 10-17-2014 04:59 PM

I had the same question, Brad. Looking forward to that answer. In addition, one of the Amazon reviews complained about plastic construction of the “shade.” Any thoughts?

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#4 posted 10-17-2014 06:04 PM

Hi Brad, Charles, I thought about the mag base for a bit, but plan on bending the flex shaft (it’s stiff) a fair bit and just didn’t want the base to come loose. From the front mounting position, the lamp can be positioned either on front or back side of the blade, high or low, or just moved completely above the saw and out of the way. I like the switchable mag base but didn’t notice it at the time with the 24” version, so just went with the cheapest option and I was just comfortable with bolt-on base.

Besides, the mag base is available separately in case I ever want to go that way, and the lamp will bolt right up to it.

Didn’t know about the plastic shade when I ordered it, seems sturdy, but I might have dinged it 1/2 star for that. I thought about changing the rating to 4 stars, but didn’t, then added a comment to the original review.

The lamp does exactly what I need it to do so will leave it at 5 stars unless the shade breaks or melts. Ratings seem to have both pro and con on the shade anyway.

Thanks for the input,
Dale

-- Smitty

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#5 posted 10-17-2014 08:45 PM

It looks,like you have it mounted in exactly the right place. I’ve never understood why built in lights are always mount on the back of the saw.

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

#6 posted 10-17-2014 09:41 PM

For those of you interested in a light like this…. I bought an led light at ikea for $15, it has a clip feature, it even came in a snazzy orange colour….

-- @craftcollectif , http://www.craftcollective.ca, https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftcollective?

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#7 posted 10-18-2014 12:23 AM

- CharlesA

I have not had a problem with mine but I am sure it will eventually crumble\break. I swap it between the drill press, band saw, planer, joiner, RAS and band saw. Maybe I should make an aluminium version while I still have a template that is in one piece. :)

- Dabcan

Not real keen on those really low Kelvin temperatures.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 10-18-2014 12:39 AM

I tried the magnetic base light on my big Grizz (different brand of light) and it sucked! Wouldn’t stay put, fell off, and finally broke the base. I like yours!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm