Powertec BD6900 sander - Safety Warning!

Review by Tennessee posted 10-16-2014 04:12 PM 3188 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powertec BD6900 sander - Safety Warning! Powertec BD6900 sander - Safety Warning! Powertec BD6900 sander - Safety Warning! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve owned this sander for about two years, and I bought the second table which to me made it nice.

Today I was sanding the outside perimeter of a bandsaw jewelry box, a fairly big one, maybe four lbs. before cutting the drawers.
I had a catch on the sander. We all have them, the belt catches the work, it drives down into the table, we chide ourselves, and go on. Not today.

When the catch happened, it hit the table and the whole table sheared off the sander.
I also had my shop vac into the exhaust, and the hose was around the front of the sander going to the vacuum. It hit that on the way down and dislodged the exhaust tube from the sander. That turned out to be just a notched press fit way into the sander, and I put that right back in place after I realized how it fits on.

So why did my table shear off?

Picture two shows the cast flange the wheel bearing rides in. Note the blown out threads on the cast iron. The screws only ever had about 3.5 threads being used, and about 6 more were available in the hole. Screws too short.
(Also note the wooden dust wall I installed after one day I was adjusting the belt and it slipped into the dust collection plastic door, and walked right through it in about two seconds. I made one out of oak, used the remaining piece left off the first one, and it works well.)

Picture three shows the tiny amount of threads that were holding the table on. There are only two screws, 5MM diameter.
When I fixed mine, I found that the three threads I lost were not as powerful as the six to seven remaining that I did use!

If you own this sander, and use the table on the 6 X 48 side, I STRONGLY recommend:
1.Take off the table by loosening the rod allen screw.
2. Remove the two screws that hold on the rod holder – watch, the screws will come out after only 3-4 threads.
3. Procure two new screws from your hardware store that are 5MM longer. This will use up all possible threads in the threaded cast flange, which should have been used in the first place. I bought grade 5 zinc plated hex head, which went right in and allowed me to tighten it nicely, using the zinc plating as a bit of a hold. I did not locktite them, since they never showed any signs of releasing.

I have liked this sander fairly well, save for the crappy dust collection. Now, not so much. When it wears out, or if I have another table break, in the trash it goes.

View sdmref's profile

sdmref

#1 posted 10-16-2014 04:24 PM

Correct me if I am misunderstanding what happened, but what I gather from your post is that the project was not in contact with the table while sanding and that when the ‘catch’ happened, your project was slammed into the table causing it to ‘shear’ off. If that is correct, then it should be pointed out that that is an unsafe way of using the sander as the material should always be in contact with the table to avoid those type of accidents.

#2 posted 10-16-2014 04:50 PM

Technically you are absolutely correct. But the table also has a milled square in it for the miter, which I rarely use. My jewelry box, being somewhat rounded, was catching in the milled square, so I lifted it up an inch or so to get around it.
That is when the catch happened. Was I up on top or in the middle of the belt? Absolutely not, not even two inches off.
The wood only traveled an inch or less into the table when it sheared off. I didn’t even lose the jewelry box, it stayed in my hands.

#3 posted 10-17-2014 12:24 AM

I sand up off the table also

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#4 posted 10-17-2014 03:19 PM

I had a similar experience on a different sander. There are new rules on place. The work stays on the table! I milled a filler piece to fill the miter slot. I was not as fortunate as you. 80 Grit and finger tips, I will leave you with that.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#5 posted 10-18-2014 02:19 AM

I’m glad you didn’t get hurt. I guess a lesson learned too!

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

#6 posted 10-19-2014 12:16 PM

jumbojack, I cannot remember when I actually used that miter slot, save to store the miter there. Why didn’t I think to make a slot filler? Duh…
And I’ve been down the 80 grit and fingertips road. Sometimes, even when the piece is square on the table, you slip a little. Takes forever to grow back a fingertip!