Aluminium 4" Box Clamp Review

Review by timbertailor posted 10-10-2014 07:39 PM 6654 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Aluminium 4" Box Clamp Review Aluminium 4" Box Clamp Review Aluminium 4" Box Clamp Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am old school, so buying metal tools that once were standard, everyday commodities, seems to be something that has lived with me as I have grown over the years. I seem to appreciate metal tools more and more every day( in this day and age of injected, molded plastic, disposable tools and appliances made in an Asian country that American company’s can not compete with) that are made state side.

I put off buying these for many years and struggled through the process of assembly and glue up. Not to mention, all the lost opportunities to mock up one’s work for trial fitting.

I have found these Woodpecker's Aluminium 4 inch Box Clamps to be used far more frequently than I had imagined.

The ease of use is the real key. As long as you take some scrap and set up the clamps before use, they are a dream come true. It comes with appropriate sized Allen wrenches but I suggest buying the PFST-900100 3/16 inch Ball End Hex Driver for $4.95. It makes securing the setup and locking block a breeze.

Now, I know that they are expensive, and the plastic versions of these would work just as well, so please do not take my indulgence as a review that only can be matched with the aluminium product. This alternative definitely makes more financial sense for most of us. It is just a personal choice, at this point.

If you do not have a lot of clamps, and you do this type of work, the cost to use these clamps vs. a Bessey or 48” bar clamp, really start to pay dividends. Maybe not as versatile as a bar clamp, but it squares your work and does not distort your work piece, no matter how tight you twist on the clamp. You no longer need clamping squares and the associated clamps to go with them for squaring your work, giving you more space and better visibility.

The mock up is the real advantage. I can make other measurements, I can do layout, all the while, never committed to any cuts or glue up restrictions. The design accomodates butt joints, miter joints. custom router bit joints, and pocket hole jig assembly.

I suggest you get 8 of them, at a minimum, as I did. I have built several drawers with them now, and a few plywood carcass’, and I could not be more tickled. I was concerned that they would sit in a drawer, collecting dust. This could not be further from the truth.

Once, again, made in America, guaranteed for life to be within 0.001” per foot, over the length of the tool, and are open to your design ideas.

Hope you find this review useful and we welcome your input and feedback.

#1 posted 10-10-2014 08:55 PM

Nice. What range of stock thickness will they handle? 1/2”-3/4” okay?

#2 posted 10-10-2014 09:04 PM

Nice. What range of stock thickness will they handle? 1/2”-3/4” okay?

- pintodeluxe

1/4” to 1” true thickness and in any combination.

View fisherdoug09's profile

fisherdoug09

#3 posted 10-10-2014 10:59 PM

Curious, have you tried these on mitered corners?

#4 posted 10-10-2014 11:05 PM

Curious, have you tried these on mitered corners?

- fisherdoug09

Sorry, not yet. Not a joint I use very often, unless I am doing picture frames and the limited capacity for these kind of eliminate that possibility.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#5 posted 10-11-2014 04:08 AM

As much as I would love to buy these, paying $35 for 1 is tough to swallow much less buying 8 of them. Maybe if they have a sale on them like around Black Friday, I’ll pick up a few. Precision is expensive! :-/ Great review!

#6 posted 10-11-2014 04:54 AM

As much as I would love to buy these, paying $35 for 1 is tough to swallow much less buying 8 of them. Maybe if they have a sale on them like around Black Friday, I ll pick up a few. Precision is expensive! :-/ Great review!

- Rayne

The glass reinforced poly carbonate model is a great alternative, and sells for around $17 or $18 each. They are sold in pairs.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#7 posted 10-11-2014 06:33 PM

That’s definitely more reasonable. I might consider a purchase now since I would only need to buy 2 pairs for the time being. Thanks for the link!

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

464 posts in 2094 days

#8 posted 11-26-2017 06:41 PM

I can’t get them to work. They won’t close the joint.

-- Petey

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

464 posts in 2094 days

#9 posted 12-04-2017 06:42 PM

Sorry, I am very disappointed in the product. I emailed back and forth with Woodpeckers. Turns out you have to clamp the joint closed, when the joint is tight by say another clamp , then you add the M2 box clamp. Why would you need the M2 if you already have the joint clamped? The M2 is a hold clamp, it will not draw the joint tight. For that its ok, but I have found that as you tighten the M2 it can pull the joint apart. I would not recommend this product. I do have and love other WoodPecker products. This one not so much.

-- Petey