My tenon making solution

Review by CharlesA posted 10-09-2014 01:33 AM 5681 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My tenon making solution My tenon making solution My tenon making solution Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve made tenons using several different methods. I had avoided buying a tenoning jig because it seemed like an unnecessary outlay of funds. I could make them by hand, with the bandsaw, or using a dado blade on the table saw. But for whatever reasons, I always have been a little frustrated by how they came out. I ended up doing way too much fine tuning with chisel/plane/sandpaper.

So, I bit the bullet and purchased the Grizzly tenoning jig through Amazon, $88.59.

I was annoyed with the standard Grizzly grease soaked parts, but I got it all cleaned up and assembled with little problem. Some folks have complained about slop in the miter slot—mine has no slop at all. I just had to remove the wheels for the t-slot so it would set well in the miter slot. I can detect no play in the jig.

What I appreciate most about using the jig is the micro adjust feature. I can really fine tune the tenon with a lot of control. I cut two tenons tonight on a large back apron of a desk and it worked like a charm. I really enjoy using it.

I know that most of the tenoning jigs on the market are the same basic design. Given that, the price of the Grizzly (with Amazon prime 2 day shipping!) made it the obvious choice for me.

There are a lot of good ways to cut tenons. I think I’ve found the solution that works best for me. I’m very happy with the jig.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3342 posts in 1970 days

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 10-09-2014 01:52 AM

I do not use mine as much as I used to. Maybe because the jig weighs a ton and it is not a small fixture. Storing it is a real pain, as well. It has an awkward shape and does not sit flat on a surface.

I have switched to doing tenons on the router table with a coping sled.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 10-09-2014 02:43 PM

I always wondered about tenoning jigs, thanks for the insight.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 10-10-2014 07:53 PM

Looks like a winner. It would be interesting to see video of it in action.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View canuckMKD's profile

canuckMKD

21 posts in 1957 days

#4 posted 10-13-2014 12:48 AM

This is the only way I would cut tenons. I have one of these and they are worth every penny, they are simple and accurate. I creep up on the tenon by taking small passes and then checking the thickness with a caliper, then when i hit the spot, voila, just batch them all out!

View ADHDan's profile

ADHDan

#5 posted 05-13-2015 08:18 PM

I realize this thread is quite old, but to Brad’s point – I found the easiest and most convenient way to store this jig is by hanging it on a hook screwed to a joist over my table saw.

But I have an 8’ ceiling and a very small shop, so I hang a lot of things that way – jigs, miter gauges, push pads/blocks/sticks, etc.

-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.