Duelen Planer Blade Sharpening Jig 12"

Review by PatrickB posted 10-06-2014 11:28 PM 4633 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Duelen Planer Blade Sharpening Jig 12" No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this handy little gizmo in the mail the other day and used it right off on my DeWalt 12 1/2” planer blades. I would wait until all six edges need sharpening before sharpening the blades. It’s easier to sharpen 6 edges and keep it even for all the edges. I sharpen 2 edges, remove one blade and flip the other blade and put in the 3rd blade and sharpen as before. Then remove the blade that was flipped and install the first removed blade with one edge needing sharpening still. And flip the one blade left in the jig and then sharpen. All six edges have now been done. One thing I remembered from an earlier DeWalt planer before I sold it was it had a tendency to really bog down after so many feet of wood. I always thought it was the feed rollers getting crap on them and they had to be cleaned. Then I read something about dull blades being the problem. Now his sand paper only goes to 400 grit which does an ok job though I would rather take it 2000 grit. The angle is off for the DeWalt planer blade but it really doesn’t matter to me as in the long run it will eventually be right. I really like this little jig, it works as intended and is easy to use. I would buy it again.

#1 posted 10-07-2014 04:15 PM

How did the sharpened knives cut? Did you have to reset your thickness stops, or no big deal?

#2 posted 10-08-2014 02:29 AM

It was no big deal. Knives cut real nice with no load sound on the planer.

View mbs's profile

mbs

#3 posted 10-08-2014 06:29 PM

I just got mine in the mail too. I plan to do my planer soon. The knives haven’t been sharpened in about 10 years!

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

#4 posted 10-09-2014 12:04 AM

I just got mine in the mail too. I plan to do my planer soon. The knives haven t been sharpened in about 10 years!

- mbs

You will like a lot, has a hefty feel to it.

View KCConst's profile

KCConst

#5 posted 10-10-2014 02:01 AM

10 years? Yikes!! I only use mine “part time” and have sharpened them 2 or 3 times this year. Actually I have a 2nd set so I can sharpen when I have time but can just replace with sharp anytime.

-- "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do" Wooden

#6 posted 10-11-2014 07:10 PM

I will keep this in mind, sounds extremely useful

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.