Grip Tite Guide/Magnetic Featherboard

Review by HillbillyShooter posted 10-05-2014 10:50 PM 6731 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grip Tite Guide/Magnetic Featherboard Grip Tite Guide/Magnetic Featherboard Grip Tite Guide/Magnetic Featherboard Click the pictures to enlarge them

Earlier, I posted my Auxiliary TS/Router Fence and Feather Board Rail system ( http://lumberjocks.com/projects/106533 ), but it doesn’t do anything for my joiner. So, I purchased the Grip Tite Guide, which has a magnetic base, to try with some thin strips of 5/16” White Oak molding I cut with my Magic Molder and trimmed to size, leaving a rough bottom.

These actually work very well and permit use both vertically on the joiner beds and horizontally on the joiner fence. Two are required, one for the in feed side and one for the out feed side. However, I was able to start a molding strip on the in feed side, stop at the Grip Tite Guide, move to the opposite end and pull the molding strip through to finish the operation—all without any tell tail routing out of the area where the molding strip had been stopped. The finished cut was a smooth as if it had been hand planed (albeit, I was using a Byrd Shelix head in my joiner).

The Grip Tite Guide is offered by Mesa Vista Design ( http://www.grip-tite.com/grip-tite-magnetic-featherboard.html ), a company who offers the Grip Tite HoleClamp for auxiliary fences, which I had good luck with in the past (another story entirely). Also, I found the best price at Harville Tool ( http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/888/table-saw-safety ).

Bottom line, I would recommend this product to anyone who needs a feather board mounted on a steel surface like the joiner (or a table saw of steel router table).

As always, comments (good, bad, critical or whatever) are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#1 posted 10-05-2014 11:14 PM

Couldn’t agree more with John’s recommendation. I have been using one of these for years on my tablesaw … my only regret is that I didn’t buy two of them.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#2 posted 10-06-2014 12:18 AM

Gerry beat me to it. I use mine at the table saw all the time and I too wish I had bought two of them.

I keep mine in a make shift wooden tray so I am not killing myself trying to release it every time I move it.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Cellulosespinner's profile

Cellulosespinner

63 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 10-06-2014 01:09 AM

Hey these are very cool…Jennifer’s been bugging me for a Santa list…Now I know what to put on it!

-- Once in a man's life you should have a good dog, a good horse and a good woman. The trick is to get them all together at the same time

View Roger's profile

20904 posts in 2710 days

#4 posted 10-06-2014 11:09 AM

Thnx for your review John. I’ve been thinking of getting a magnetic featherboard for quite some time. I think this would be a nice addition to the accessories we all need. Also, thnx for the links.

View abie's profile

abie

#5 posted 10-06-2014 02:45 PM

I must disagree
We have one of these in our shop but it is hard to un clamp.
we also have a rigid magswitch type which is much easier to clamp and unclamp.
useful on all our steel surfaces.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#6 posted 10-06-2014 09:11 PM

Everyone: Thanks for looking and commenting!

Bruce—it’s unfortunate that you haven’t had good luck with this product and I appreciate your honesty. Would you mind sharing the name of the brand of magnetic FB you find easier to use so everyone can explore the options? Also, I understand the frustration with un-clamping the Grip-Tite as I experienced the same thing until I figured out that the black, plastic, upside down “T” at the back of the block was a toggle that broke the magnetic catch when rotated.

View abie's profile

abie

#7 posted 10-06-2014 09:41 PM

The device is called a Rigid MagSwitch Home Depot
$31.00

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#8 posted 10-06-2014 09:52 PM

Bruce—Thanks, and here’s the link http://t.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-MagSwitch-Plastic-Featherboard-AC1001/100618240

View CharlieK's profile

CharlieK

#9 posted 10-12-2014 09:01 PM

I have been using a Grip-Tite featherboard for years. They work great and are super easy to use.

-- Adjustable Height Workbench Plans http://www.Jack-Bench.com