So mad I could spit!!!

Review by PatrickB posted 10-05-2014 08:18 PM 10341 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
So mad I could spit!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Purchased this tool refurbished. Blades were so dull it wasn’t funny. couldn’t even run balsa wood thru it, LOL. So I bought the Deulen Jig to resharpen the blades because I figured refurbished the blades wouldn’t be very good to start off with so I planned ahead. Just to set this rant up for you folks, I work as a mechanic in a power plant making all kinds of repairs. I’ve been doing this for over 25 years and have had my share of bad fasteners. I did try to plane some pine that I was going to practice dovetails on but like I said, dull blades. Went to remove the blades (I hate Chinese workers some days) and got two blades out. On the third blade everything went good until the fastener in the middle. I removed the other fasteners before tackling that one and even a couple of those were tough but I got them with no damage. So Ok, screw is rock solid in there. Some times if you tap a screw with a ball peen hammer it will brake it loose, no such luck. Gave it a shot of Kroil (the oil that creeps) and let it sit, and have it a couple more taps to try and work the fluid into the threads. Nope, wouldn’t come out. Got the heating device and heated the bolt. Nope, didn’t work. Last resort was I had a Torx in that size so I installed it in a torque driver (they us a socket head tool on the end, 1/2 or 3/8” drive and has an on/off direction and you smack it with a hammer and it will break it free, almost always works for me.) and that failed and by this time stripped the bolt top so now I’m screwed (pun intended LOL). The thing is, in this instance it would not have mattered if I bought it brand new or used because they almost NEVER do anything with the blades on a return (which is 90% of most refurbished tools). I could take the whole thing apart and take the head into work and machine off the bolt head and drill the screw out but it’s still under warranty so I don’t want to go there. I’m going to give DeWalt a chance to make this right. I had an issue with one tool once and they overnighted me what I needed, so there is some small hope. The single star is for total lack of quality control, All these fasteners are supposed to be installed by torque set screw driver (usually air drive) and this isn’t supposed to happen. So instead of doing what I wanted to do I am stuck. I will update this review after I hear from DeWalt and even happily change it’s rating if deserved but right now one screw is wiping out a whole day of fun in the hobby shop.
Pat

Well, Twenty minutes later and I got the screw out. I got stubborn and decided one more try. Took my small ball peen hammer and set the planer head in the middle and just smacked it fairly hard 3 times. It bent the torx head back over and gave me enogh bite with the wrench that it broke free. Yahoo baby. I will provide an update on the Deulen planer blade jig and how well she runs after I sharpen the blades.
Pat

-- Really? Really? How important is it?

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

View cutmantom's profile

cutmantom

#1 posted 10-05-2014 11:17 PM

Most likely the blades are disposable but can be flipped over, I think older models had resharpenable blades, make sure which ones you have

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#2 posted 10-05-2014 11:28 PM

734 has two sided blades. I’ve never tried to re-sharpen mine, but amazingly easy to replace or to flip. Love the planer and have had it for nearly 10 years.

Scott

-- Scott, Irmo SC

#3 posted 10-06-2014 12:18 AM

Kinda surprised you gave it 4 stars with the problems you had ?
Would you buy a refurbished planer again ?

View B4B's profile

B4B

#4 posted 10-06-2014 12:25 AM

What company did you purchase this through?

-- There's two routers in my vocab, one that moves data and one that removes wood, the latter being more relevant on this forum.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#5 posted 10-06-2014 02:14 AM

I’ve beat the hell out of mine with tons of hard oak and maple. On my second set of blades. I wouldn’t sharpen. They aren’t that expensive for the use you get out of both sides.

View emart's profile

emart

#6 posted 10-06-2014 07:43 AM

It is a fairly common problem with this planer is that the screws break in half when you go to rotate the blades. I remember when I rotated mine for the first time and each and every bolt made this awful cracking noise and the worst nails on a chalkboard squeaking when i removed them. I think because they put them on with such high torque it just makes it really hard to get the bolts off.

That being said it is one of my most used machines and has survived me planing down slabs of black locust without too much complaint from the motor

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

#7 posted 10-06-2014 03:37 PM

Have this planer and Love it. I’m on my 4th set of blades ( 8th when you count flipping them ). I have resharpened them but found my time and results for 54 dollars its better for me to buy them. I’ll shoot you an email on the special EZ-out’s we use In Aviation on the big jets. We run into this daily with the 1000’s of screws. There not cheap but always work. There is also a tool we put into the end of a rivet gun or air hammer called a woodpecker that gets them out 90% of the time w/o drilling. Glad you go it!

View jasoncarpentry's profile

jasoncarpentry

#8 posted 10-06-2014 06:48 PM

I had similar problems removing the bolts. With help from folks on this site, I realized it wasn’t just the fact that I’m a 98-pound weakling. Dewalt uses carbon-steel bolts and, yes, they overtighten them. I finally got them out using lots of WD-40 and a bolt extractor. This of course, ruined the heads, which was fine w/ me, since I was going to replace them w/ stainless steel bolts and do my own tightening.

Since then, I’ve replaced the cutterhead w/ a Byrd Shelix head. So now I have the old cutterhead, TWO sets of blades, and a sharpening jig, all of which I’m trying to sell. Despite what Dewalt says, the blades CAN be resharpened and used multiple times.

-- Jim in Tennessee

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

#9 posted 10-06-2014 10:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments, As for the four stars, it’s not the planers fault the builders messed up. One problem is dissimilar metals, aluminum for the head and steel for the bolts. When I pull the blades again I will use never-seez (thread lubricant) when I re-install them. I also screwed up two bolt holes by cross threading them but a 6×1mm tap set them straight. Thanks for all the input everyone. I did buy a jig (Duelen Jig) and sharpened the blades and it worked fairly well. The angle is off from what DeWalt uses but it works well enough. I planed two end grain cutting boards with no problems today, went right thru them.
Pat

-- Really? Really? How important is it?

#10 posted 10-06-2014 11:02 PM

Patrick
It’s the manufacturers fault ,ultimately there responsible. It’s your review you can give in ten stars if you want :)

View lew's profile

lew

11942 posts in 3661 days

#11 posted 10-06-2014 11:35 PM

Patrick,
After hearing all of the horror stories about these planer bolts, I went to Fastenal, bought a better grade of bolt and then, like you, added anti-seize to each one. So far, blade changes have been without incident.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View panamawayne's profile

panamawayne

#12 posted 10-07-2014 12:23 AM

I bought the 12” DeWalt plaer newad never had a issue I upgraded to a Grizzly 15 inch spiral head and stripped 4 screws while rotating the cutters. Not just a DeWalt issue.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#13 posted 10-07-2014 03:05 AM

As an FYI, in this instance it may not be DeWalt’s fault, at least not in the first order. The blades were dull, but were they dull on BOTH sides? If so, then whoever changed the blades over previously is at fault for the over-tightening. I’m not saying that’s what happened, merely that it COULD have happened that way.

It is, however, on the second order, DW’s fault. They shouldn’t have sent out a machine with dull blades.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#14 posted 10-10-2014 05:20 PM

Silly question: every time I see a pic of this planer, my eye is drawn to the oddly shaped metal rod that sits above the cutter head. What is it and why is it shaped like that?

View Greg In Maryland's profile

Greg In Maryland

#15 posted 10-10-2014 05:39 PM

Charles, I think that bar is a locking mechanism for the motor/cutter heas assembly.

Greg