SawStop zero clearance throat plate with changeable inserts

Review by Tim_H posted 10-04-2014 10:08 AM 6582 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop zero clearance throat plate with changeable inserts SawStop zero clearance throat plate with changeable inserts SawStop zero clearance throat plate with changeable inserts Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I finally bit the bullet and purchased a SawStop table saw. After doing so I searched to find a zero clearance plate. Of course SawStop offers zero clearance plates at about $40 ea but I found this one from Infinity Tools that cost $100 but offers changeable inserts that are low cost so I just had to buy one plate and several “inserts” to accommodate the many different blades and angles that I end up using. Purchasing an entire new plate for each blade and each angle of each blade seems too costly for me.

I must say that I love this throat plate! It arrived in perfect condition and setup was a breeze. You just take the old throat plate off and snap in the new one. The throat plate seems VERY sturdy, it is made of metal and inscribed with “Cauliflower Made in the USA” on the bottom. This thing is built like everything used to be in America…..made to last. I set up my rip blade first by putting a new insert (some sort of melamine) into the plate and rising the blade into it. Perfect zero clearance. I than put a new insert in the plate and set the saw to 45 degrees, again…perfect. Did the same with 45 degrees right, 30 degrees, dado blade, finish blade…etc…..etc. The cost of the plate seemed a little spendey but by the time I was done with each blade I had 12 zero clearance inserts for well under $200! If I bought the SawStop model it would have cost me $480! I think I am going to order the insert for my miter saw next, if it as good as this one I am sure it will be worth the money.

I purchased mine here but I think they are on Amazon too.

-- "If at first you don't succeed....get a bigger hammer"

View Tim_H's profile

Tim_H

View pneufab's profile

pneufab

#1 posted 10-04-2014 04:15 PM

Nice review. I was considering purchasing one of those, but went a little different route instead :). Definitely a better option than purchasing new throat plates for every dado setup!

View brtech's profile

brtech

#2 posted 10-04-2014 05:54 PM

I have this. It works well. Seems to have needed a design change where they added a couple of screws on the underside to hold the open end of the insert (where the splitter goes) in place. Because the insert is made from melamine over particle board, the threads on those screws don’t last long. I just taped them in place, since as long as the screw doesn’t fall out, the insert won’t move. The inserts are a pretty complex shape, as with the plate, they are CNCd. If you wanted to actually duplicate them yourself, it would be a lot of work. At around $4 each, it’s cheap enough to buy them. Note that there are two types of inserts. Open end for use with a regular blade and a splitter, and closed end for use with a dado head. The kit of four inserts has one of the open ended and three of the closed end variety, although it looks easy to chop out the end of the closed end version to use with the splitter if you wanted to.

Quality product overall though.

#3 posted 10-04-2014 11:16 PM

Good review, Makes sense and nice savings. Thx for sharing.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#4 posted 10-04-2014 11:46 PM

Saw Stop makes a TS that tilts both left and right??

View Tim_H's profile

Tim_H

#5 posted 10-05-2014 12:26 AM

No, my mistake. edited.

-- "If at first you don't succeed....get a bigger hammer"

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

#6 posted 10-08-2014 01:47 PM

I have this insert as well and like it with one caveat that I found out the hard way. If you use the anti kickback pawls do NOT raise and lower the blade with the pawls down (as in put them up on the blade guard and then down when you’re done raising/lowering) the way the insert is designed means that if you lower the blade with them down they will eat into the insert because it’s rather soft aluminum and will gouge it. I had to file the parts it gouged down. I called infinity and spoke with a rep who said this is a known issue and to not use the blade guard with the dust collection. I said that’s a waste because I paid $200 for the overarm dust collector and he said to go ahead and use it with the pawls retracted which in my opinion is not the best solution for this. I like to use the pawls on long rips but I wish they would have written this in their literature somewhere as a warning so I didn’t have to find out the hard way…

-- Matt, Arizona, http://www.reintroducing.com

View JerryinCreek's profile

JerryinCreek

215 posts in 1988 days

#7 posted 01-15-2015 08:55 PM

Glad to read the review and all the comments. Especially from Matt as I have several tools that got scratched/gouged because I wasn’t forewarned about a known issue (e.g., using the long pawls). All in all, looks like a good product and I’m probably going to invest. Thanks!

-- Jerry, Johnson Creek, WI "If it was meant to be different it would be."

View rumblechicken's profile

rumblechicken

#8 posted 03-04-2016 05:12 AM

Thanks for posting this review, I recently starting using Dados, and was dreading the thought of having to buy multiples from SawStop. Very glad to know a product like this exists. Thanks to Matt for posting his experience as well, as I too have the overhead dust collector and prefer to use the pawls for safety. I could definitely see myself gouging the surface. I see to make every mistake possible in this new hobby…

Going in eyes wide open I can at least make an informed purchase and learn from the community experience.

View JerryinCreek's profile

JerryinCreek

215 posts in 1988 days

#9 posted 03-05-2016 06:26 PM

Rumblechicken-
I did purchase this zero clearance plate and it is finely machined and works well. Just be aware that (as brtech said) the screws that are to hold the insert in place are very short. You need to be cautious when installing them as it is easy to strip the insert. Or, do as he does and use tape. FYI, I have the SawStop dado plate and use it 95% of the time. While I do use the aftermarket plate for certain dado cuts, I mostly use it for narrower cuts. Good luck1

-- Jerry, Johnson Creek, WI "If it was meant to be different it would be."

View Hermit's profile

Hermit

#10 posted 10-03-2017 01:10 AM

I just bought this also for my Laguna Fusion table saw which it also fits. Very well made and changing the inserts are a breeze.

-- I'm like the farmer's duck. If it don't rain, I'll walk.