"Joinery" The Complete Illustrated Guide To Joinery by Gary Rowgoski

Review by a1Jim posted 10-03-2014 11:16 PM 2859 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
"Joinery" The Complete Illustrated Guide To Joinery by Gary Rowgoski No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have enjoyed Gary’s articles in” Fine Woodworking” for years and had admired his workmanship and know how,so when I found he had a book on joinery I jumped at a chance to purchase one.
I have owned this book for a number of years and have found it an invaluable tool for teaching my woodworking class and general use in my shop. This book is laid out very well with photos an names of the joints as and index and then at the beginning of chapters .This makes finding any particular joint easy to locate. The photos are outstanding and Gary’s description on how the joints are made couldn’t be any clearer,in addition to that each joint has at least 3 options on how to make it with different tools and by hand. I strongly encourage those who want to learn a great variety of woodworking joints to purchase Garys book it covers tons of joints and how to make them.I would rate it 10 stars if possible.
After owning this great book for a couple of years I had an opportunity to meet Gary in person at an open house he held at his woodworking school in Portland Oregon “Northwest Woodworking Studio” When I told Gary that I thought his book” Joinery “was the best book on woodworking I owned on the subject he seemed a bit surprised (seeming to be a rather modest person) he was kind enough to autograph my copy.
As a side note at this open house I also had the pleasure of meeting Roy underhill,A great guy too.

In case you haven’t picked up on it Gary has been writing a blog on LJs for a while now with super content .

Here’s Gary’s studio’s

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 10-04-2014 01:05 AM

Thanks for the review Jim. I’ll find a copy.

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

#2 posted 10-04-2014 01:22 AM

I know you’ll enjoy it Bob.

View Gary's profile

Gary

#3 posted 10-04-2014 03:56 PM

I’ve owned Gary’s book since it first came out. Well written, well organized and highly useful.

-- Gary, Florida

View albachippie's profile

albachippie

#4 posted 10-04-2014 08:59 PM

Nice review Jim. I must look out for it. The Taunton ” Complete illustrated guide to…...” books are a great resource. I have the Furniture & Cabinet Construction edition, by Andy Rae. Another great tool in the shop.

Thanks for your review,

Garry

-- Garry fae Bonnie Scotland

#5 posted 10-04-2014 09:16 PM

Thanks Gary & Garry

Yes Garry I have the whole Set of “Complete illustrated guide to……”joinery by Rowgowski,Construction by Rae,Period furniture & shaping wood both by Bird and Box making by Stowe. A very fine set by some well know authors, all super craftsman.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#6 posted 10-05-2014 01:33 AM

Thanks for a good review Jim. I’ll look for it via the Fine Woodworking and/or Taunton emails I get….

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Roger's profile

20904 posts in 2709 days

#7 posted 10-05-2014 01:26 PM

Thnx for your review Jim.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#8 posted 10-05-2014 06:47 PM

Thanks for the review and information—I’ll keep this in mind.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#9 posted 10-05-2014 11:15 PM

Jim, thanks for posting this, I had no idea that there was a woodworker that talented in my neck of the woods. I will have to look him up.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

#10 posted 10-05-2014 11:23 PM

Your welcome gang

Jerry glad to let you know ,you can get an idea what Gary is all about by reading some of his blogs or this great book.

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

#11 posted 10-06-2014 10:00 PM

I have the book and I love it – Yes to Five Stars…..

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#12 posted 10-07-2014 02:24 PM

Thanks for the review Jim.

Amazon is one place to purchase the book:

View MARCIOCRM's profile