My first review! - Woodcraft preformed sanding pads in multiple profies

Review by rblank posted 10-03-2014 12:59 AM 2069 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My first review! - Woodcraft preformed sanding pads in multiple profies My first review! - Woodcraft preformed sanding pads in multiple profies No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review of anything…ever, so please bear with me.

I was refinishing my front door and needed some way to get the three layers of old paint out of all the small, hard to reach places and profiles. “Why not just repaint the door” you’re probably asking yourself? Well it all started with an overly rambunctious teenager driving me nuts one Saturday morning, so for his punishment I told him to scrape all the old paint off the door I have intended to repaint, just like you’re asking yourself. Well the ONE time he listened to me was when I told him to always “work smarter, not harder”. So after coming home a few hours later from my other sons soccer game, I found him on the front steps with my orbital sander out and every flat surface of our probably 50 year old front door sanded down to bare wood. Guess who really got punished? But I digress…..

Anyway, regular sanding blocks were just too pigs, and folding the paper wouldn’t give it enough support to get all the way in there. So off to the internet to fine a better solution, so I’m not “working harder”. What I was originally after was a set of the Woodcraft sanding sticks, but alas my local store in Walpole, MA was out of stock. I needed to get this done with a bare wood door, and I didn’t want to order online and wait. What I noticed were packages of these small, rubber preformed sanding pads. At a price of less than $7 for a package of 4 different profiles, I figures what the hell. Worse case, I’m out $14. I purchased one package of the concave radius ones, and a package of the angled.

These small things worked better than I could have ever hoped for. Someone was a GENIUS! The rubber is hard enough to hold it shape, but flexible enough to work around irregularities or into corners. They’re sized just right to use a long 1/4 sheet of sandpaper, or fold that in half and use an 1/8 sheet. I was able to get just about all the paint out of some very tight corners using these and got it done in a fraction of the time I would have by just folding the paper in my hand and using my fingers for support. I was also able to keep the lines and detail of the door molding with now problems, the larger 3/8” contour pad fit the quarter round profile on my door perfectly.

I do have two minor negatives to these sanding pads, but I will preface these with saying that I understand I was not really using these pads for their intended purpose. My first issue is that even though I have small hands, I found myself wanting for a longer, or larger “handle” or gripping surface behind the sanding profile. After awhile of gripping the small pads and sanding my handed started to cramp up. I think a larger gripping surface would definitely been more ergonomic and comfortable when you have a large amount of sanding to perform. The second item is that even though the rubber is fairly firm, using an 80 grit paper to strip the paint would generate enough heat to soften the rubber to the point it was deteriorating and the edges were rounding over, so the lines weren’t as crisp. However this last one is easily overcome in my mind by knowing I only spent $6 and change and would happily go buy another set if they were worn past the point I liked.

I do think that if I was working on a new project and had fine detail sanding to do, with a higher grit paper, these pads would be excellent and probably rank the full five stars. Woodcraft does offer a larger 12-pack with some rectangle blocks as well as packs of other profile and quantity. I would strongly recommend these to anyone looking to sand in small, tight areas and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set myself again. Maybe I just need to start a new, detailed project to use these in a different way and see what the outcome is.

Thanks for reading. Now go build something!

-- Commercial Construction Manager - Attleboro, MA

View rblank's profile

rblank

View gko's profile

gko

#1 posted 10-03-2014 11:07 AM

I bought these several years ago and found them excellent for sanding various profiles. The set I got had both concave and convex shapes so I can sand most of the patterns I had. Great stuff for a reasonable price.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#2 posted 10-03-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks for the review. Very informative and complete.

Glad they worked out for you.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed