My Bostitch nailer finally made me happy today

Review by OttoH posted 09-29-2014 07:18 PM 3852 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Bostitch nailer finally made me happy today No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have owned a Bostitch pin nailer for three years now and it has been a miserable experience. But today it finally made me happy. How? Well I too a 15 pound sledge hammer to it and smashed it to smithereens.

I do hereby swear to never ever purchase another Bostitch tool. A big name with poor designs, I am very disappointed in them.

-- I am responsible for how I respond to everything in my life - - Deadwood SD

View OttoH's profile

OttoH

View longgone's profile

longgone

#1 posted 09-29-2014 09:11 PM

It sounds like you got a lemonade.. I have the bostitch nailer that uses the 16g nails and it has worked flawlessly since I bought it in 2008.
I do have a pin nailer but it is a porter cable and it has worked with no problems. I use it at least once a year.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#2 posted 09-29-2014 09:33 PM

I have the framing gun and a stapler which work great. Your ‘review’ doesn’t give any reasons why the one star.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

#3 posted 09-29-2014 09:40 PM

Sorry about your troubles. My 18 ga nailer and 3/32 crown stapler have been flawless for two years now. I did have trouble with a HF pin nailer and tossed it.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#4 posted 09-29-2014 11:19 PM

They are easy to work on and do require service.

I finally had to rebuild one of the three after 20 years.

$16 in parts and the girl on the phone help me trouble shoot it.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#5 posted 09-29-2014 11:29 PM

Sorry yours didn’t work out for you. I have had that same model for about 7 years and never a problem for me.

-- Art

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#6 posted 09-29-2014 11:33 PM

OttoH: I have the exact 18 gauge nailer, and it worked fine for several years….Then it started loosing air, so I took out the 1/4” nipple, put some pipe tape around it, but it sounded like it was coming out of the end cap…I tightened it down a tad, and that sucker cracked, was loosing air and oil….It has a rubber O-ring inside that never seated…..I tried epoxing it…..no good…..I finally got on line and found a place called Tool Parts Direct.com that carried all kinds of parts for all major brands of power tools, hand tools, etc….Ordered a new end cap, nipple, and now that sucker works like a tool is supposed to work….Put a little oil in, and go to nailing…..But I know exactly how you felt…..I wanted to beat mine in the ground, but held out for a better deal….Glad I found them, as I was about to scrap it…I do have 2 others, but I saved this one’s life….

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#7 posted 09-29-2014 11:58 PM

Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel!! Lol
I’ve only used Porter Cable, no problems yet!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#8 posted 09-30-2014 12:10 AM

Pin nailers (not 16/18 gaugers) are not like pin nailers. Pin nailers shoot pins. I love mine but it’s a porter cable one. I use it in the shop all the time. The pins hold good and you need a microscope to see the hole. Since the pins are small they do misfire more times than other gauge nail guns. I love mine. Since it is so useful, I encourage you to try another brand.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#9 posted 09-30-2014 12:32 AM

And I was about to drop 120+tax on the new BOSTITCH-BTFP12233 which has 5 start reviews.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View ward63's profile

ward63

#10 posted 09-30-2014 12:44 AM

Where’s the pics?

View NoThanks's profile

NoThanks

#11 posted 09-30-2014 12:59 AM

Never owned a Bostitch tool in my 30+ year career.
Looks like from the above responses that I’ve been missing out…..............NOT:)

-- Because I'm gone, that's why!

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#12 posted 09-30-2014 01:21 AM

This the only Bostich tool I own…If it weren’t for my son giving it to me as a b.d. present, I wouldn’t have one, either…...

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#13 posted 09-30-2014 01:26 PM

As stated above, I’d like to see the proof of said destruction instead of a photo cribbed from a website. And I’d still like to know what was wrong with the gun, if anything.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#14 posted 09-30-2014 01:50 PM

The SB1850BN is an 18 ga brad nailer, not a 23 ga pin nailer, so I hope the OP isn’t trying to drive pins with it.

I’ve never used a pin nailer before, but Craftsman by the Lake knows his stuff and now I’m interested in seeing what they look like.

I have the Bostich BT1855K (slightly newer model than the OPs model) and have driven 5/8”, 3/4”, 1” & 2” brads. The gun has performed flawlessly, never missing a beat. It’s very light and handy, and I really like it a lot.

Bostich….some people love em… others hate em…. Where I work, we are a Bostich Platinum account, with weekly deliveries and we have dozens of guns on loan at no charge.

The thing Bostich does best is industrial fasteners. They have a PHD “nail doctor” to consult customers with demanding applications (he helped me spec odd nails on two occasions). Their fasteners are more expensive, but they are pretty much the best quality out there….. and when you’re building to an ASTM or mil. spec. (and risk getting sued for non-compliance) you want nails that you trust will meet the stated hardness and strength requirements. Just like with chisels and hand saws, it’s all about the metal.

We’ve also used the China stuff … and I can definitely tell the difference.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#15 posted 09-30-2014 08:25 PM

I have a Bostitch framing nailer, palm nailer and an 18 ga brad nailer and have never had a problem with them and they have seen a lot of use. Nails used can make a big difference.