Laguna Tools 14/12 initial review.

Review by PatrickB posted 09-26-2014 09:50 PM 7260 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna Tools 14/12 initial review. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello,
This is my initial review of the Laguna 14/12 bandsaw. I earlier owned the Grizzly G0555 Extreme which I sold. I pondered getting another Grizzly and found the Laguna on sale at Rockler. BY the time I was done with replacing parts on the Grizzly to reach the Laguna as it came stock I was already over the sale price so that rapidly changed my mind. I remember my old Grizzly was always a little slow on cutting but I didn’t really have any issues with it. There are some changes to the new Grizzly G0555 extreme I didn’t like. One was the trunion went from cast iron to whatever it is now and the Laguna was stock with cast iron which was about $140.00 upgrade for Grizzly. That’s the main reason I purchased the Laguna right there.
Initial impressions: The item was well boxed and arrived in very good condition. I was quite pleased. It was also heavy and being by myself made it challenging to get it in the basement by myself but I did succeed. Upon opening the box everything was well packaged, no damage worries there at all. My initial impression was Wow, this is one good looking machine. Every thing came out of the box fairly nice, no issues. I had read the instructions earlier before purchasing the band saw so I was already familiar with assembly and it. One thing I noticed is when assembling the stand you need to be ambidextrous as the stand requires using both hands for the bolts. What I really liked was the nuts were already welded to the frame, no trying to tighten separate nuts and bolts and washers. Everything is like that, pre-threaded for assembly. Like I said, assembly was straight forward with no issues. They give you exactly what you need for assembly, no extras so don’t loose any parts. The stand was easy to put together. As suggested by Laguna I placed the saw on it’s back and bolted the saw to the stand prior to lifting. If you are in reasonable shape lifting up this saw by yourself is no big challenge after it’s bolted to the stand. I did get wheels with locks at Menards and put those on the stand instead of the feet supplied by Laguna which makes the whole band saw very easy to move around. Blade installation was a snap and the torque scale seems to be close. I was able to easily level the table. Blade installation was a snap and so was adjusting the band saw guides. I like the fence system. The saw runs very smooth with no vibration. I have the Highland Hardware Wood Slicer 3/4” blade on it right now. It went thru 3” thick hard maple with no issues and anything else I had available to feed it. One thing I did notice though is NO miter gauge comes with he saw. None, nada, zip. So if you don’t own one you will have to buy one. While annoying I would rather not have one then have less saw and a crummy miter gauge for it. I will update this after I have used it for a while.
Thanks
Pat

-- Really? Really? How important is it?

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

View Rob's profile

Rob

#1 posted 09-26-2014 10:09 PM

Thanks for the review, especially the note about replacing the included feet with wheels. Of course it’s obvious now, but I hadn’t thought of it on my own. I’ll have to see if that will work on any of my other tools.

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

View Andre's profile

Andre

#2 posted 09-26-2014 10:14 PM

Have looked at this saw and some of the Grizzly’s, but really like the Rikon 10-325 which is the way I’m leaning at the moment. Did you look at the Rikon at all. In any case congrats on the new saw and go make some saw dust!

Enjoy Andre!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View PatrickB's profile

PatrickB

#3 posted 09-26-2014 10:54 PM

Andre
I never looked at the Rikon, I jsut looked at this because it is a new saw out in the last year.
Thanks
Pat.

-- Really? Really? How important is it?

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 09-26-2014 10:59 PM

Specs on that baby are impressive

View Rob's profile

Rob

#5 posted 09-26-2014 11:29 PM

Andre, I’ve been looking at bandsaws too. I was really leaning toward the 1412 over the Rikon because there’s not much price difference by the time you add a better fence to the Rikon.

I ended up buying a used G0555 that popped up on craigslist for the time being, but maybe this will help you or someone else:

Rikon 10-325
Sale price: $799.99
Final price: Sears 847.9894
Specs: 120V, 13” resaw, 1.5 HP, guide bearings
Drawbacks: Guides move when tightening (maybe not a serious problem), poor fence

Laguna 14 Twelve
Sale price: $987.30
Final price: Rockler $1036.30
Specs: 120V, 13” resaw, 1.75 HP, ceramic guides
Drawbacks: Low table, past complaints about customer service and quality control (maybe not an issue any more)

Grizzly G0513×2BF
Sale price (10% off coupon): $1215
Final price: Grizzly.com $1314
Specs: 240V, 12”, 2 HP, Double bearing guides, foot-triggered motor brake
Drawbacks: 240V, slightly smaller resaw

The reason I listed 240V as a drawback on the Grizzly was that I only have two 240V circuits, so I’d have to deal with a minor inconvenience or an additional wiring cost. I didn’t list the Grizzly’s higher price as a drawback because the other saws don’t have a blade brake and I could have opted for a version without the brake for about the same price as the Laguna.

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

View georgiaken's profile

georgiaken

#6 posted 09-26-2014 11:55 PM

I just bought this saw this year and I love it. It has sliced through 6” white ash and 6” white oak like it was nothing.

Enjoy your saw…

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#7 posted 09-27-2014 02:10 AM

Gotta love the resaw capabilities. I am jealous.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#8 posted 09-27-2014 06:09 PM

I’ve owned this saw for about 10 months now and I couldn’t be happier. I did look at the Rikon, but the trunions on the Laguna blow away the Rikon’s (I saw some heavy wood). I’ve ripped through 12 inch boards that were so finely cut that it only took on pass of my planer to clean them. The rip capacity on it is also 13 1/2”, not the 12” Laguna posts on the specs. I’m also really impressed with the fence on the saw. It’s rock solid and can be set up for ripping large or small boards. I added an LED kitchen light to the frame of the saw, its much cleaner then the light Laguna sells and its not a head obstacle. Five stars all the way for me!!

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#9 posted 09-27-2014 06:58 PM

This saw is on my wish list…

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...

View mmax's profile

mmax

#10 posted 09-27-2014 08:29 PM

This saw is absolutely amazing. I purchased it back in June along with the Resaw King blade. Over the years I attempted to resaw and finally gave up on it. However with this saw and blade it is well beyond my expectations. I have been resawing 8/4×12 cherry and it goes through it like butter. (hardly any saw marks) Saw is built well and extremely well balanced with no vibration.

I recently saw an article of 12 accessories you could add to a bandsaw to improve its performance but with the Laguna you don’t need any of them since it already comes with everything you need. I’m really sorry I waited so long to make the purchase. Five stars all the way.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View BenhamDesign's profile

BenhamDesign

#11 posted 09-27-2014 11:47 PM

I just bought the 14/12 myself and I really like it so far. Their are a few things I found irritating like the bolt that holds the base to the saw is in the way of the door swinging open when changing the blade.

-- What I do in and out of the shop at http://www.BriansBenham.com

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#12 posted 09-28-2014 01:41 AM

Benham, I am curious to the base bolt interfering with the lower door opening? My door opens without any problem. Could you take a picture of the problem? I have also hear another reviewer talk about the bolt that holds the table square getting in the way of the frame. My saw has neither of these problems.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling anyone a liar. I’m just curious to the manufacturing differences (QC) from saw to saw.

View georgiaken's profile

georgiaken

#13 posted 09-29-2014 12:53 PM

I can say that I needed to adjust the tracking of my blade, because the blade kept hitting the little black plastic insert. Outside of that, I have not had any issues. I’m using the Resaw King blade as well…phenomenal blade. The price of the blade kind of blew my head back, but then I thought…hell, if you’re buying the saw, just buy the blade and see…it was/is well worth every penny.

View whope's profile

whope

#14 posted 09-29-2014 04:18 PM

The only thing I’ve seen that interferes with opening the bottom door is the knob on the fence. You have to move the fence towards the blade (if I’m remembering correctly).

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#15 posted 10-01-2014 07:55 PM

Thanks for the review. I looked on the specs of the band saw. Impressive.Enjoy your new tool.