Ridgid 4512 and a 10mm handgun

Review by rantingrich posted 09-26-2014 08:13 PM 16102 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 4512 and a 10mm handgun No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a Brand new RIDGID R4512 this spring and this is my story.

Got it at HOME CHEAPO 15 miles away. Mother weighed in at 250 plus pounds. Took me and 2 employees to lift it into my truck

Took most of the afternoon to assemble, partially because of my 8 pound water head didn’t do it right a couple of times. The MOTOR and table assembly COMES up side down in the box and that is how I cut the box off off it, and it was a real piece of work to get it flipped over with only my self to do it.

One very cool thing is you can wire it for 220volt.

Anyways everything was going great guns….. UNTIL …… I found out the miter slot was NOT parallel with the BLADE! WAY OFF. No problem the manual says loosen the trunnion bolts and tap it into place then tighten the bolts back down..

REALLY! REEEEAALLLLY?

LOL! After 3 hours of drunken scraped bloody knuckles and endless creative profanities, I gave up and thought of taking it back, but throwing that big B*H back up in my truck and hauling across southern Illinois didn’t seem like a good way to spend my already damaged weekend.

SO I Got online and googled the issue… SURE NUFF endless posts and even many YOUTUBE videos all about that particular problem..

Found out there is SOMETHING call ed the PAL alignment system. So I order it SPECIFICALLY for the RIDGID R4512.

Got it a week later! Ready to make saw dust fly.. I thought…

The kit came with 2×9/16” bolts and holes to fit them in the aluminum “L” brackets…. Problem is the new RIDGID R4512 and is bastardized twin Sears Brother come with 10 millimeter trunnion bolts.. AND the “L” brackets are not big enough to fit the TRUNNIONS! SO the bolts don’t fit and the Brackets don’t fit! PERFECT. Looks like I picked a bad weekend to stop huffing paint!…

BUT I studied the PALs system, ran to the hardware store, got me some aluminum angle bars, a 10mm drill bit and a tap that would fit the PALs adjustment screws.

Took about 10 minutes to dial in the BLADE to the Miter slot and I never looked back. Been a dream ever since.

The saw is ROCK SOLID and tight as a tick. It is so smooth one can balance a Nickel on its’ edge on the table Star,t run, then stop the Saw and it will stay put!

The miter gauge this saw comes with is almost useless. One can hear it rattling in the miter slot as you cut stock with it. I got a INCRA V27 and after getting it dialed in it binds up going in the front and coming out the back. Seem the Chinese Political Prisoner who task it was that day was to mill the miter slot had been into the opium and or the Saki that morning as my miter slot is crookeder than a Illinois State Governor. Took some filing but it’s as true as it’s gunna be. One would think these Chinese Prisoners/Forced Laborers would take more pride in their work…..

My only other complaint is that setting the FENCE to the blade takes some patience as well…

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 09-27-2014 02:07 AM

Sorry for all the problems.

They just do not make them like they used to.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View Chris208's profile

Chris208

#2 posted 09-27-2014 07:17 AM

Wow, this review is extremely racist.

Opium AND saki?

Chinese and Japanese?

I do agree that Illinois governors (and mayors) have historically been crooked, though (however, President Obama was never governor, or mayor, if that what you’re getting at).

#3 posted 09-27-2014 09:48 PM

I had heard that Ridgid came up and then recalled a table saw with a GRANITE TOP. When I heard of this I qs like COOL nothing as rock solid as granite and it will never warp rust or whatever.

Found out there were a plethora of problems..

They got shipped CRACKED chipped and broken, not doubt from the fine NON UNUION package handlers at UPS.

I had a chat with a sales rep who confided in me that There were other issues such as when you pout the miter gauge in the GRANITE ROCK top and maybe wiggles it some it would chip and crack.

This is so typical of a great idea not researched through Sort of like the NASA Shuttle Program and or NASAs MARS ROVER program.

It all looks great on paper and or a dry marker board!

View Hawaiilad's profile

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

874 posts in 1901 days

#5 posted 09-28-2014 12:16 AM

Glad your saw is working now. The Ridgid R4511 (referenced in comment 3) is/was a good saw, that despite not being able to use magnetic jigs (magnets not so fond of granite) has found a good home in my shop. 400 lbs on that one she isn’t going anywhere until I engage the Herc-U-Lift. There are a bunch of people who like that saw on this site, check out reviews and pimpouts. Worth it in my opinion if you can find a good condition used one on CL (got mine for under 300). Also, haven’t had it crack yet anywhere, and the miter slot is as tight as any I’ve ever used. I can definitely see how one could get chipped or cracked if it was abused, but with light to moderate care, I feel the pros outweigh (literally, pun maybe sort of intended) the cons.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Woodknack's profile (online now)

Woodknack

#6 posted 09-28-2014 04:29 AM

Make sure to check for alignment problems.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View carver1942's profile

carver1942

#7 posted 09-28-2014 12:29 PM

Having to go through the bull rantingrich had to, in order to get a brand new out of the box table saw right is disgusting. I bought the same saw and the blade shift was way out of whack. I quickly got rid of it and bought a Delta 36-725. No blade shift, or out of alignment. Blade was within .002 out of the box. I have just completed 15 kitchen cabinets with raised panel doors using this saw. I will never buy another Ridgid product. Ridgid continues to produce this saw knowing the blade shift problem and shipping them with blade alignment out more than adjustment can correct. The error I made was due to illness I could not get the Ridgid saw together until I was beyond the time Home Depot allows for return. If I had seen the problems right off I would have returned it in a minute.

#8 posted 09-28-2014 01:23 PM

HERE HERE CARVER! I suspect Ridgid won’t be in business much longer.

#9 posted 09-28-2014 06:50 PM

Now I do not nor should anyone BLAME the manufacturer for quality issues… The buck or the YEN or what ever the Chinese monetary unit is, the BUCK stops with the CEO of RIDGID. Any and all manufacturers will get away with any and all sorts of short cuts they can. It’s up to the “COMPANY” to either accept or reject product and or enforce specs and standards.

The iPhone 4 and 5 are all manufactured by force labor and prisoners in China but the product is out standing. THEN there is the iPhone six…. Which is a complete and total disaster. Steve Jobs must be spinning in his grave. AGAIN a company completely obsessed with profit margins and that through its loyal customers over board.

I think RIDGID has done exactly this! They accepted a questionable lot of manufactured units and are now paying the price just like GM is tanking and taking it in the ARSE for selling millions of cars that have resulted in the death and mutilations of thousands of LOYAL customers. How would you like to be a cars salesman for GM right now! Or ridged for that matter.

This is endemic here in the U.S. and a TRUE sign that the entire CULTURE/COUNTRY is going down the exact same path as Rome.

EVERYONE is cutting corners, Breaking the law, Making as selling SHEET! cheating and steeling… sort of like the last guy out of a Ransacked Burglarized house taking what ever they can before the ending CRASH

-- Rich

View Woodknack's profile (online now)

Woodknack

#10 posted 09-29-2014 04:13 AM

The alignment issue is a design defect that has been present in the last 2 or 3 generations of their saws. Last year it was reported by an LJ that they finally came out with a fix but I still read about it showing up.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

1667 posts in 1986 days

#11 posted 09-29-2014 03:09 PM

Glad you got the saw operating. I’m surprised by the 4 star rating after you had to put that kind of time, effort, and expense into a new piece of equipment. I’ve done similar things with some Harbor Freight stuff and have been happy with the results, but those tools were 1/2 the cost or less than something from a name brand supplier.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#12 posted 09-29-2014 04:39 PM

Rick M, Thanks for pointing out the deviation noted when raising/lowering the blade. Few (including myself) would think of checking the saw as you did. Normally we check a tooth at the front; then the back with the blade at a set height. I will check my Jet cabinet saw.

View cynic73's profile

cynic73

#13 posted 09-30-2014 09:59 PM

I am sorry to hear you guys had problems with that saw I purchased mine in january and it was great out of the box. I had to do some adjustment to the fence but no big deal. flipping it over during assembly was not fun but I did it by my self. I was expecting the other alignment issues. I was pleasantly surprised that they were a non issue.

#14 posted 10-01-2014 09:18 AM

cynic73: You had better MIC the miter slot to blade… How does your miter gauge operate. Mine is SLOOOOOOPYYYY! Clank clank clank

View canuckMKD's profile

canuckMKD

#15 posted 10-06-2014 02:52 AM

This saw is now $100 off at home depot, i went in and looked at the boxes and the date stamps are EM1430 which means manufactured this summer, you would think that the “new trunnion” is in those saws now would’nt you?
Maybe they are going to clear out the inventory and discontinue this now.