Cuts Like a Dream

Review by grfrazee posted 09-23-2014 02:10 AM 3580 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cuts Like a Dream Cuts Like a Dream Cuts Like a Dream Click the pictures to enlarge them

For those of you who don’t know, LJ Wally331 is currently a senior in high school. He also happens to be rather skilled at making hand saws.

I commissioned Chris to make me a 10”, 14 TPI dovetail saw. It has a brass back, hand-shaped African bloodwood handle, and hand-filed teeth. The saw’s split nuts are hand made as well.

To put it simply, this saw cuts wonderfully. I had no problem sawing parallel lines down a piece of scrap pine and walnut, and the saw rode beautifully in the kerf. I know from experience that getting the right set in so fine a tooth pitch is no mean feat, but Chris definitely nailed it.

As far as fit and finish go, overall it’s a very well made saw. There are a few minor blemishes – namely a few mis-filed teeth near the handle, some minor scratches in the handle, and the saw nuts aren’t sanded flush with the handle on the “show” side. However, these in no way detract from the performance of the saw – in fact, I feel they give it that authentic “hand made” feel. I hope he gets a stamping system figured out so I can get an authentic spine stamp before too long!

Overall, I’d probably give the saw a 4.75/5.0, but I’ll give Chris the extra 0.25 stars. For those of you looking for a well made, hand made saw from someone who can truly benefit from your support, send Chris a PM. He’s gotta pay for college somehow :-)

-- -=Pride is not a sin=-

View grfrazee's profile

Nice!

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#2 posted 09-23-2014 12:19 PM

Chris is a talented young man. The saw looks great. Congrats on your purchase.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 09-23-2014 11:20 PM

Great looking saw-particulary the Bloodwood. Best wishes to LJ Wally331 on his saw sales and college.

View shirty's profile

shirty

#4 posted 09-24-2014 02:47 PM

Wow, I love the detail on the handle. If it cuts half as well as it looks it must be a great saw.