Motor burned out in less than 3 days

Review by ERQ posted 09-20-2014 08:17 PM 3259 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Motor burned out in less than 3 days No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked this belt sander up for $50 on sale at the blue box on a Saturday morning. Put it through some admittedly hard use on Saturday and Sunday grinding down some unevenness in some self-levelling concrete I’d patched a concrete slab with. Monday night I went to do the last few spots and started to smell burning emanating from the sander’s motor.

Based on this performance, it would be a one-star tool. However, it came with a 30-day money-back guarantee so I was able to return it for a full refund with no issues. I give it an extra star for that.

Maybe if you used it solely on wood, this would work o.k. for light-duty occasional use. I also have to say that the flip-up nose guard and tapered front roller were nice features that I could see being handy in a lot of tight spots.

I’d imagine a lot of people will still be tempted to buy this due to the huge price gulf between this $50 sander and the high-quality models that start around $150. (Orange box has the $99 Ridgid, I guess, but that has been very poorly reviewed.) My advice would be, if you do buy this sander, put it through its paces before your 30 days are up and make sure the motor is going to be able to withstand the demands of the projects you anticipate needing it for.

View ERQ's profile

ERQ

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#1 posted 09-20-2014 09:13 PM

I’ve had a Craftsman version of this sander for ten years. Works OK on wood. Using it on concrete would definitely be outside it’s comfort zone, particularly if you leaned hard on it. The motor may not have liked the concrete dust.

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#2 posted 09-20-2014 09:51 PM

Not to sure I would have tried using the sander on cement, but thanks for the info on the out come

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#3 posted 09-20-2014 09:56 PM

I think the concrete dust, which is very abrasive and corrosive, had a lot to do with the “failure” of this tool. If you use a tool for something it was not designed to do, you run the risk of ruining the tool.

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 09-21-2014 02:39 AM

I generally avoid Black and Decker tools, but i appreciate the heads up. I’m a jack of all and like to push some of my tools to their limits. I own a 15 amp, Skil circular saw that I found on the clearance rack at Wal-Mart for $40 bucks. Not only does it cut wood well, it has cut hours of patio pavers and large sections of asphalt (with a diamond blade). I still use it all the time with great results.

Sometimes, you don’t know if your buying a tool that will exceed expectations.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#5 posted 09-21-2014 02:34 PM

I gotta admit,I think buying a cheap sander, using it harshly for applications it’s not designed for, and then returning it seems fishy to me. You want to take a chance on a cheap tool, fine, but if it blows up it is on you, not Lowes or B&D.

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#6 posted 09-21-2014 05:59 PM

CharlesA +10

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#7 posted 09-21-2014 05:59 PM

The warranty covers abuse???

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View bygrace's profile

bygrace

#8 posted 09-21-2014 09:30 PM

I bought this sander on sale about four years ago. Used it to help get the edges when refinishing the wood floors in my restoration project. It now sits upsidedown in a vise at the end of my work bench and I use it frequently for sanding down the splines on boxes and other various woodworking projects. it has always worked great and in four years has never given me a problem.

-- Andy, Waxahachie, Tx.

View BenhamDesign's profile

BenhamDesign

#9 posted 09-21-2014 10:02 PM

I bought a Black and Decker drill once and it didn’t make it to the end of the day. I was also given a B&D jig saw and it broke after only a few uses. That was the end of my Black and Decker use. If I see a tool that even remotely looks like that brand I run far away.

In their defense I don’t think any sander you could buy at the home center is designed for sanding concrete.

-- What I do in and out of the shop at http://www.BriansBenham.com

View Spur's profile

Spur

#10 posted 09-22-2014 04:56 PM

First one I got of these I had to return within 2 weeks because the motor burned out. Was restoring a garden workbench for the wife. Cedar.

Second one after 2 years of infrequent use some little pin that holds the bearing or track thing in place has broken out. Neat idea with that front nose part, but I am getting a porter cable next. I may try to save the motor and repurpose it. I would not recommend this belt sander either. I do love the B&D LiIOn drills though :) Gonna get another one of those.

-- Henryk, South Carolina

View tefinn's profile

tefinn

#11 posted 09-23-2014 01:32 AM

When I worked for HD several years ago, if you bought a sander and used it for drywall or concrete you voided the warranty and HD wouldn’t accept it back as a return.

-- Tom Finnigan - Measures? We don't need no stinking measures! - Hmm, maybe thats why my project pieces don't fit.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

440 posts in 2012 days

#12 posted 09-23-2014 03:54 AM

I bought the same sander years ago. It’s served me well in normal and infrequent use in my shop. My wife is a wood floor maniac. She gave it a couple of weeks of very hard use on a very bad, 1925 oak floor. (Despite suggest that she rent an appropriate sander.) When I got it back it was pretty well worn out.

I replace it with the identical belt sander, flying grey and silver colors, from Harbor Freights. Tells me alot about low B&D has sunk.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#13 posted 09-23-2014 06:48 AM

What do you think B&D stands for Burned out & Dead?

As with most of their tools the battery chargers are totally worthless and shortly thereafter the batteries die.
The same with the variable speed 1/4” drill and, I really did like that drill because it light and small, it fit is tight spaces, and was easy to use.
I have had three of the B&D Dustbusters and each one had premature battery failure.

Now I have one B&D tool that is still working, it’t a Workmate!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#14 posted 09-23-2014 11:54 AM

The Workmate works on concrete!

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View fuigb's profile

fuigb

#15 posted 09-24-2014 12:22 AM

This review reminds me of an instance when I was working my way through school as a shoe salesman. This mother and daughter came in carrying a lidded shoe box and looking pissed. They lifted the lid and showed the remains of a pair of those first-generation Reebok aerobics shoes. They were as worn as hell and had literally come apart. Like the reviewer they wanted their money back. We were just looking at the box, searching for the words to say WTF when mamma beat us to it: ”... and they only went through the laundry once.” Well there you go. What in the hell do you expect to happen when you abuse the daylights out of something?

-- - Crud. Go tell your mother that I need a Band-aid.