Handmade Wooden Hand Plane Sets

Review by Dennis Zongker posted 09-19-2014 08:12 PM 5567 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Handmade Wooden Hand Plane Sets Handmade Wooden Hand Plane Sets Handmade Wooden Hand Plane Sets Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I first received the box with a set of handplanes. I was quite impressed with their clean and crisp design also with the marquetry emblem on the side really adds to the overall appearance. I have been waiting to write a review until after I had a chance to use them on a real project. So I used the planes while working my next box, which is made out of sold Wenge, and anybody that has worked with wenge they know it is very hard and brittle.

The completed set comes with: one utility plane, one shoulder plane, one Block plane, and one tack hammer for adjusting and removing blades.

In the past I have never been one to use wooden planes just because I am use to the solid steel or some kind of metal. I have to say I was wrong all these years. For example, the larger utility plane is very strong and durable at the same time it is also light and very easy to handle. It had no problems shaving the solid wenge like it was butter. Also this is without me having to adjust or sharpen the blade. Paul had all of the blades set and sharpened to profection.

In my professional opinion I would highly recommend all three of the hand planes also the tack hammer for adjustments. I could also see this completed set to be a perfect fit for the handplane collector. To find out more details and costs I would go to …..

Click for details

-- Dennis Zongker

View Dennis Zongker's profile

Dennis Zongker

View tinnman65's profile

tinnman65

#1 posted 09-19-2014 09:01 PM

Thanks for the review, I thought they would be great planes when he offered them. I’m still in the steel plane world myself, maybe I should branch out.

-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams

View Mathew Nedeljko's profile

Mathew Nedeljko

#2 posted 09-19-2014 09:02 PM

Thanks for that review Dennis, I’m sure that they are awesome to use. Great job building them Paul, I hope you sell a ton!

-- Aim high. Ride easy. Trust God. Neale Donald Walsch

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

#3 posted 09-20-2014 04:17 AM

Thanks Dennis, I’m glad you like them.

-- Paul M ..............the early bird may get the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese! http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#4 posted 09-20-2014 11:30 AM

Dennis,
Thanks for the review. They are really lovely tools, and good to hear they work as well as they look. Perhaps I’ll have to reevaluate my view on wooden planes as well.

View shirty's profile

shirty

#5 posted 09-24-2014 02:49 PM

Thanks for the review. I am always curious about wood planes but have never had a chance to try them out myself.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

31994 posts in 2951 days

#6 posted 09-24-2014 03:24 PM

Thanks for this review, Dennis. Those planes are beautiful.

helluvawreck aka Charles