Ridgid R2601 5" Sander Poor Quality

Review by txsawyer posted 09-18-2014 05:59 PM 3815 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid R2601 5" Sander Poor Quality No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the R2601 about 18 months ago. This sander has been in the repair shop more than it has been in my shop. I signed up for the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) which is a joke. When sander started running erratically about a year ago, Ridgid told me to bring it to their repair facility which just happens to be a 5 hour drive for me. Told them I didn’t want to spend 20 hours or 2 days on the road. So the said said bring it to Home Depot which was much closer. Dropped it off and HD returned it to me 8 weeks later. And it exhibited the same symptoms, basically they did nothing in 8 weeks. It still had the sawdust I sent it out with and the same sanding disc. Thought I would use it anyway. Well it caught fire after about a 1/2 hours use. So it’s back to HD. The so called technician agreed with me that something was wrong. However, he was unable to add my phone# to his online paperwork and thus unable to give me a receipt. He wanted me to just leave it there with any proof that I had left it with them. And you wonder HD lost all hose credit numbers. Also, this sander is made it China. Need I saw more. Do not buy this sander.

View timbertailor's profile

timbertailor

#1 posted 09-18-2014 06:06 PM

Sorry to hear that it did not work out.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the LSA and just about everyone elses. Just adds revenue without providing a real solution to the customer. They should swap it out with a new unit, and fix it on their time and sell as factory refurbished, if they can.

But, I do appreciate you taking time to let us know how screwed up the system is and help others avoid the same problems.

Get the ETS 125 EQ if you are tired of mediocre products. Expensive, but you have to put a value on your time, the quality of the product, and just doing something that does not come with a lot of head aches.

-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#2 posted 09-18-2014 06:08 PM

Caught on fire? That would get my attention.

View Rick  Dennington's profile (online now)

Rick Dennington

#3 posted 09-18-2014 06:21 PM

The only thing I own made by Ridgid is a vacumn cleaner, like an orange Shop Vac…..!! I’m not much on Ridgid tools, or Grizzly, for that matter….Had some bad experiences with Grizzly several years ago, and I swore I’d never use another product they sell…..I tend to stick with the ones that “brought me to the dance”, mainly Delta, DeWalt, Porter Cable, and that’s because mine were made yeas ago when they were made in the USA…..Anymore I tend to shy away from Chinese crap, if I can…....You might as well just take your $$$$ and burn it for all the good it does to buy that junk…...But the vacumn has never let me down, and still going strong. It’ll prolly catch fire and burn up tomorrow…...

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#4 posted 09-19-2014 12:35 PM

I bet if you brought it in and demanded a replacement, or store credit or something, they would do it. I’m sure they would try to get out of it, but every time they open their mouth, just interrupt them saying “It…caught…on…fire”

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#5 posted 09-19-2014 01:00 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles with HD and Rigid. I own that sander as well as the oscillating belt/spindle sander and have had no problems.
For sure, if I had experienced the problems you describe, the store manager and I would have a little talk and, I would have a refund before I left.

#6 posted 09-19-2014 02:03 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you all for your comments. I plan to return to HD and make a little more noise. Actually, I have owned a Rigid Shop Vac for years and really abused it. Replaced the filter a few times but It still runs very well. Maybe Rigid should stick to making vacs. I don’t mind paying a premium for good, reliable, accurate tools. Seems like the manufacturers just don’t understand that.. Thanks again, lots of terrific people on this site…

#7 posted 09-19-2014 04:15 PM

I have the same sander for years, it has been working flawlessly.
In fact Rigid is my favorite brand of power tools.

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#8 posted 09-20-2014 12:41 AM

once upon a time, Rigid meant quality… those were the days.

Of course, they only made pipe threaders, pipe wrenches, and such back then, but what they did make, they made well.

Sorry about your luck. Demand a refund and buy a Dewalt. May not be a Festool, but at least mine hasn’t caught fire.

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#9 posted 09-20-2014 01:00 AM

Is that a picture of the 6 inch? I have the 5 inch and it doesn’t look like that.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#10 posted 09-20-2014 04:11 AM

Wow, now I know why I pay the extra bucks for Festool.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

#11 posted 09-20-2014 02:37 PM

Sorry, that is the wrong photo on this review. Your are correct, it is a photo of the 6” model, my terrific machine is the 5” R2601. Actually went back to HD, made a lot of noise but they were adamant about trying to fix it again. After all, it was only a small fire. The manager seemed to have a difficult time understanding what all the fuss was about. This machine is costing them a lot more to fix than to replace but it’s their money. I just hope they keep track of my sander better than they protected our credit card info. BTW: I am looking at a DeWalt orbital sander to replace my reliable Rigid, no matter what HD does. Festool was another choice. Any thoughts?

View BinghamtonEd's profile

BinghamtonEd

#12 posted 09-20-2014 02:47 PM

At this point I would be sending a letter to corporate. Ask them how much liability they are willing to except by sending you back a sander that has been repaired multiple times and caught fire. Are they waiting for your house to burn down? Wouldn’t it be more sensible of two for them to offer you a replacement? Managers position is completely ridiculous.

-- - The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.

View NoThanks's profile

NoThanks

#13 posted 09-20-2014 03:59 PM

Was looking for the R2601 online and found this ad. Apparently they can’t tell what side is up. LOL

-- Because I'm gone, that's why!

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#14 posted 09-23-2014 12:16 PM

I agree with Ed. Write to their marketing department and let them know you are reaching 95000 woodworkers with your reviews. That should get their attention. I had to deal with their service also. Took for ever and the service center was close to me.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

251 posts in 2094 days

#15 posted 10-01-2014 02:15 PM

The world of powertools right now is in desperately bad place. It’s nearly all junk with some few exceptions.
All the old standbyes were bought up by big companies,, all the manufacturing is over seas and the materials are junk.
Powertools peeked in the 19990s and have been on a stead decline since.

Ridgid still makes excellent tools for plumbing industry. Very good tools for pipework.
The powertools and pneumatics at H.D. have nothing to do with the company that designed and builds those pipe working tools.

Some of the best names in the business historically now make 100% junk. (porter cable!)

-- Without the wood, it's just working